BaltimoreBird

Team for Burnley

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Very difficult to think what will work best. We need to be up to the physical battle, that's for sure, so maybe -

Krul

Omobamidele Hanley Kabak

Aarons     Lees-Melou     Normann    Giannoulis

Rashica  Idah  Tzolis    

Idah up front! Playing for a 0.0 then. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No playing to match the physicality that will be needed - it worked last time we were at Burnley in  the cup.......an 0-0 would be a good result, given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

No playing to match the physicality that will be needed - it worked last time we were at Burnley in  the cup.......an 0-0 would be a good result, given the circumstances.

If only he was physical, put himself about and looked like he had a goal in him. 

20 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If only he was physical, put himself about and looked like he had a goal in him. 

He is still learning the best way to use his strength. He has been very physical in some matches I've seen him play in, but would often be pulled up for a free kick because of it. He looks to me as if he is trying to control the physicality a bit more and get the balance right, but atm he has gone too far the other way.   Just needs to find his best game - like most of the players do.   It will come, it has to!

Edited by lake district canary

Something like this possibly although requires Todd to be available. Really not sure on the two midfielders, I'm not entirely sure we have a two that works, which may be why Farke is insistent on a three. As a two, they'd probably be my pick.

Screenshot_20210926-103309_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Revert to type!!  4-2-3-1......... withstanding Normann poss out etc...

Excuse the Everton bit 😂😂🤣

Screenshot_20210926-105032.png

Edited by RugbyCanary

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do you prefer Sargent? 

Idah scored our last league goal apart from Pukki. 

RVW, Naismith and Drmic had more productive starts than Sargent or Rashica. 

4 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Do you prefer Sargent? 

Idah scored our last league goal apart from Pukki. 

RVW, Naismith and Drmic had more productive starts than Sargent or Rashica. 

Definitely prefer Sargent. 

• Like 1

I'm honestly at the point now where I don't think it matters. 

There isn't an untried formation that will unlock our brilliance.

There isn't an untried player who will glue everything together.

Quite simply ..... Farkeball doesn't work in the Premier League unless you spend like Man City can.

There's a reason Watford and Bournemouth BOTH took SIX points off us LAST season! When we come up against teams with equivalently talented squads (let alone better ones!) Farkeball doesn't work. Our passing game gets disrupted and we struggle to create the 'gift wrapped' chances Pukki relies on. We also can't boss possession and that equates to more chances created for more lethal forwards - and we've always looked leaky at the back under Farke.

For me, the only hope Farke has left is to have a major philosophical rethink but I suspect that he can't / won't do this and that we don't have a diverse enough range of players (e.g multiple DMs of Premier League standard) to shake it up enough.

Farke would do well at a top German side with a generous budget to throw around.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

14 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Any reason? Has he had a shot on target in the league yet? 

Just arrived, cost a lot of money so obviously the club have faith in him.  He did more in his ten minute cameo against Liverpool than anything we’ve seen from Idah. Tell me why you’d rather play Idah, I’m all ears. 

44 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just arrived, cost a lot of money so obviously the club have faith in him.  He did more in his ten minute cameo against Liverpool than anything we’ve seen from Idah. Tell me why you’d rather play Idah, I’m all ears. 

So Sargent is better because he cost a lot of money? Better in ten minutes than someone who's scored goals for us?

Idah was equally as good in those 10 minutes as he was against Leicester. I've nothing against Sargent (although his hairstyle reminds me of the kid from Bad Santa) but he's got a lot to do to prove he was worth what we paid. 

Don't be embarrassed about your ears, you could always grow your hair. 

19 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

And what about Sorenson for McLean 

Or Rupp for McLean. But yes McLean has to go. He’s not good enough. Never has been and he’s now making silly mistakes. 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Something like this possibly although requires Todd to be available. Really not sure on the two midfielders, I'm not entirely sure we have a two that works, which may be why Farke is insistent on a three. As a two, they'd probably be my pick.

Why would you play Cantwell against a team of bully boys? He’ll spend half the match rolling on the ground and moaning to the ref.

35 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Why would you play Cantwell against a team of bully boys? He’ll spend half the match rolling on the ground and moaning to the ref.

Id play Cantwell because he's probably our best player. And besides Pukki is the only one to show he can score in the Premier League.

In the same way Grealish still plays against "bully boys" - although Grealish gets more protection from referees.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Good idea to not play someone the opposition feels threatened by and might ask for decisions we deserve. 

Going on the assumptions that Todd is still unavailable, DF will give 3 at the back another go & that McLean will be benched, what about:

Krul

Hanley     Kabak     Gibson

Aarons     Rupp     PLM     Normann     Williams

Sargent

Pukki

9 from Gunn, Rashica, Gilmour, Tzolis, Idah, McLean, Giannoulis, Dowell, Sorensen, Omobamidele, Mumba for options.

Reasonably physical team through the middle to hopefully compete with Burnley, Rupp & Normann to cover for the wing-backs when they venture forward to support the front two, PLM to link the play, Gibson & Normann for balls over the top when Burnley push up and press & use the bench wisely to stretch the game in the second half. 

Hopefully another week on the training pitch will bring the lads together. No Carabao distractions. If we can somehow (?) eliminate the fundamental errors that keep getting punished, you would hope that in-game belief & confidence will improve as matches develop. One small positive to cling to: our brief patches of decent/meaningful possession and controlling games are increasing in length as the games tick by. Who knows - we may even rattle the onion bag! Burnley's home form has not been good in recent times. My towel has not been thrown in yet. OTBC! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, curious yellow said:

So Sargent is better because he cost a lot of money? Better in ten minutes than someone who's scored goals for us?

Idah was equally as good in those 10 minutes as he was against Leicester. I've nothing against Sargent (although his hairstyle reminds me of the kid from Bad Santa) but he's got a lot to do to prove he was worth what we paid. 

Don't be embarrassed about your ears, you could always grow your hair. 

If Sargent isn’t better (which isn’t a big ask) then God help us. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

I quite like this, providing  PLM and Normann can hold the midfield. Some thoughts about Andy O to replace one of the others at the back and I’d play Williams ahead of Gianoulis, but I think this gives us as good a chance as any.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Id play Cantwell because he's probably our best player. And besides Pukki is the only one to show he can score in the Premier League.

In the same way Grealish still plays against "bully boys" - although Grealish gets more protection from referees.

Cantwell is definitely not our best player firstly, secondly, what’s the point in having him in the team to get loads of free kicks if we’re only going to good the box into the box? Our midgets up front against their defensive giants isn’t going to work just like it didn’t against Watford? 

2 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Cantwell is definitely not our best player firstly, secondly, what’s the point in having him in the team to get loads of free kicks if we’re only going to good the box into the box? Our midgets up front against their defensive giants isn’t going to work just like it didn’t against Watford? 

*sigh* Cantwell does more than win free kicks, that's just one benefit from playing him. I'm more interested in his creativity and goal scoring. I'm interested who you think we have to play in his position with better record at Prem level?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Good idea to not play someone the opposition feels threatened by and might ask for decisions we deserve. 

Cantwell is not a threat. He slows our attacks, the odd flick and ball juggle is not good enough. Since his first 6 months in the PL last time he’s done nothing out of the ordinary. You’d expect him to rip up the Championship like Emi but he was ordinary. Nothing great from an attacking midfielder. Thus far he’s done nothing to warrant a start in the PL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

*sigh* Cantwell does more than win free kicks, that's just one benefit from playing him. I'm more interested in his creativity and goal scoring. I'm interested who you think we have to play in his position with better record at Prem level?

I’d play Rachica and Tzolis over Cantwell. To be fair we haven’t seen too much of Dowell yet and I’d be more inclined to give them a go before Cantwell. We know what Cantwell can do and it’s not good enough so we need to give someone else a go until Cantwell improves or he’s sold.

12 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’d play Rachica and Tzolis over Cantwell. To be fair we haven’t seen too much of Dowell yet and I’d be more inclined to give them a go before Cantwell. We know what Cantwell can do and it’s not good enough so we need to give someone else a go until Cantwell improves or he’s sold.

None of them have looked remotely like getting 6 Premier League goals whereas Cantwell has, yknow, actually done it.

They may come good but at the moment Cantwell is proven considerably better than any of them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

None of them have looked remotely like getting 6 Premier League goals whereas Cantwell has, yknow, actually done it.

They may come good but at the moment Cantwell is proven considerably better than any of them.

Had being the word. 

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Very difficult to think what will work best. We need to be up to the physical battle, that's for sure, so maybe -

Krul

Omobamidele Hanley Kabak

Aarons     Lees-Melou     Normann    Giannoulis

Rashica  Idah  Tzolis    

Gibson will surely start against Burnley. Especially when we play a 3 man defence I think Farke will want to use Gibson so that the LCB is a natural left footer. I think with Hanley and Kabak.

Aarons and Williams wing backs for me for this game. Williams needs to play because we need someone decent aerially against Burnley.

Normann, Mclean and PLM.

Sargent and Pukki. Not a chance I'm leaving out Sargent who has looked one of our best players so far this season.