Sign in to follow this  

Williams at wingback

Can anyone explain why Williams was at wingback and not Giannoulis, when playing 5 at the back means he would be our main source of width?

He plays for manyoo you know and so must play every week, and we can't criticise.

• Like 1

Made absolutely no sense to me. Williams did okay second half but Giannoulis looks so much better coming forwards in the wide areas and carries the ball with so much more purpose!

Williams kept trying to chop back and losing any small amount momentum we created, including giving the ball away sloppily at least 3 times in the first half. He done a bit better second half actually taking a run at their defence but still not close to Giannoulis IMO.

I would like to see him back now please, our best player at home versus Liverpool, barely given a chance since. 

Play Williams and Giannoulis.  It's so obvious yet people are too afraid to drop Aarons based on reputation.  Truth is, Max fails to deliver the same energy than the other too.  He also sits off his man too much allowing them to cut in or lay the ball of to edge of the box.

Edited by Google Bot

Just now, Google Bot said:

Play Williams and Giannoulis.  It's so obvious yet people are too afraid to drop Aarons based on reputation.  Truth is, Max fails to deliver the same energy and drive than either than the previous. 

Aarons was good during our best period of the game.

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Aarons was good during our best period of the game.

He made one good run in terms of an attacking threat, Williams was busy and at it for most of the game.  Giannoulis would be delivering the same intensity on other side.  Would much prefer 2 players like that than a pedestrian Aarons - he's no-where near his capabilities in the Championship where he's seeking out space - we need that in a 3-5-2.

18 hours ago, 1902 said:

Can anyone explain why Williams was at wingback and not Giannoulis, when playing 5 at the back means he would be our main source of width?

Can somebody explain to me why we've wasted £19m on wingers and ditched them after 5 games for a wing back system.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can somebody explain to me why we've wasted £19m on wingers and ditched them after 5 games for a wing back system.

Because we lost 5 in a row, and Rashica is pretty versatile so will probably have a role up top in this system.

We also looked better yesterday.

I’d like to see Williams and Giannoulis link up together on the left hand side, with Giannoulis pushing further forward. On the left hand side of a midfield three. Think that could work well and be defensively sound as well.