Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Everton (A)(PL) ****

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Not when he's been the common denominator of a leaky defence.

He’s played the most games but I’m personally not buying the Hanley scapegoating, as a defensive unit the team has been garbage. You can look at most of our goals and they are a catalogue of examples of defensive inadequacy from all through the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t personally think that was the issue, it was that he set out not to lose a game but with no real attacking threat, it was unbalanced.

Surely you need to start from a position of not losing but with attacking plan to also win the game? I’ve always been hopeful Farke would find that balance and last season seemed he had at Champ level. Being so open and trying to outscore PL opposition with inferior players is a recipe for disaster IMO.

This.

Hooper, RVW and Elmander as lone strikers. None of them were ever going to be prolific. And he shipped out players who were at least their equals to get them in Holt, Morrison and Martin. To this day, I'll never understand how that was allowed to happen. To let three very decent players go and bring in more expensive players who weren't close to being as good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

When did you become Big 

He is right though VW. What has Andrew done other than look calm and collected wit a good dose of ability? Hanley has been shocking.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He’s played the most games but I’m personally not buying the Hanley scapegoating, as a defensive unit the team has been garbage. You can look at most of our goals and they are a catalogue of examples of defensive inadequacy from all through the team.

But then surely as the 'captain' he should be leading by example? And at the moment the example isnt good enough is it. 

12 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The main issue I always had with Hughton when he was a boss here was he set his teams out to not lose a game rather than to try and win it. This smacks of the same to me. Best way to win games always has been to score more than the other guy 

Normally Id agree. But we've been porous at the back and we need to stop the rot. A point today would be fantastic. Id take a 0-0 all day long

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Omobamidele should be starting. He's been the only centre back who hasn't looked a complete liability.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

Very good shout. Gibson and Hanley get exposed for pace (or rather 'lack thereof') whilst AO would not. 

This is the most negative, regressive lineup I've seen under Farke. We've completely lost our identity and abandoned our style. I'm absolutely underwhelmed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He is right though VW. What has Andrew done other than look calm and collected wit a good dose of ability? Hanley has been shocking.

He'd be in my starting 11

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

This.

Hooper, RVW and Elmander as lone strikers. None of them were ever going to be prolific. And he shipped out players who were at least their equals to get them in Holt, Morrison and Martin. To this day, I'll never understand how that was allowed to happen. To let three very decent players go and bring in more expensive players who weren't close to being as good.

Takes a special striker to be able to score 15+ goals as a lone striker at this level. I am sure Holt + RvW, the Wolf would have scored several more goals, just from a maths perspective. 2 strikers v 2 defenders more likely to get lucky breaks . Rvw v 2 defenders is going to end the way it did. 

9 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Normally Id agree. But we've been porous at the back and we need to stop the rot. A point today would be fantastic. Id take a 0-0 all day long

I’d take a 0-0 for sure. Doesn’t mean we can’t be solid at the back and still try to win. What do I know through I’m not the one in charge 😂

28 minutes ago, Van wink said:

You have been watching recently haven't you?

Yes and our problems are at both ends of the pitch. One goal from open play is as much of a problem as the 14 conceded.

As I said on another thread, Daniel achieved our longest run of games without conceding in his first season as a response to our initially leaking goals. We know what happened once we got our confidence back. We have to stop the rot first.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’d take a 0-0 for sure. Doesn’t mean we can’t be solid at the back and still try to win. What do I know through I’m not the one in charge 😂

Boooo all you fans who would take a 0-0 how dare you. We want to attack and be pointless as long as we can to keep MOTD pundits happy

• Haha 1

I must admit I like this line up. It doesn’t have to be defensive. We haven’t won the midfield battle in any game so far this season - this at least gives us a chance to do that.

Edited by astro

A 5-3-2 is precisely what I would have done. I suggested this formation in some thread called "what would you do if you were Farke. didn't expect him to actually go for it, shows that he has some pragmatic sense left which is nice. Only difference between mine and his line up was that I would have put Giannoulis on the left

24 minutes ago, chicken said:

This.

I understand and agree with your general point, but i think a little revisionism has taken place with regards to how good Holt was when we let him go. He only managed another 13 professional goals in his 93 appearances post-Norwich.

9 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

As I said on another thread, Daniel achieved our longest run of games without conceding in his first season as a response to our initially leaking goals. We know what happened once we got our confidence back. We have to stop the rot first.

Well said 👍

15 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Very good shout. Gibson and Hanley get exposed for pace (or rather 'lack thereof') whilst AO would not. 

How do you work out that Hanley has lack of pace? Last season he was recorded as our second fastest player, behind Placeta. As usual something is posted by a keyboard warrior and others jump on the scapegoat bandwagon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Surely Giannoulis has to be playing in a 5 at the back? Irking me a little bit how he’s not being given a chance over Williams.

Williams played great at Arsenal but was at fault for the goals against Leicester and was poor versus Watford.

Giannoulis was MOTM versus Liverpool then had a bad 45 minutes against City (where Mumba replaced him and got caught out twice in the exact same way), and he’s not featured in the league since!

I’d much rather see us develop our own players to be honest, especially when there’s not much to choose between the two. 

But given Giannoulis is clearly superior going forwards, and offers genuine width being left footed, I can’t understand why he isn’t being given the nod today in the wing back role. 

Absolutely THIS. The wingback role is tailor made for Giannoulis, he can bomb forward with more assurance of cover behind him, a wasted opportunity that

• Like 1