Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Everton (A)(PL) ****

I'm not opposed to this - pace and speed to be brought on later.

Yes defensive but we have to stop the rot.

Feeling mildly positive about this. Lots to prove and a bit of EPL realism about it.

PLM wonder goal!

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

I don't really get what the plan of attack is. Apart from Aarons there's no pace in that side to counter attack, if we try and pass through them we'll just get ripped apart playing with just 3 in the middle. I don't get it, hopefully Farke has a gameplan that makes me look daft but I don't see what we're trying to do with that lineup.

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Parking the bus by the looks of it. Odd when DCL and Richarlison are injured. Today is a day to have a go at them.

You have been watching recently haven't you?

Probably first time I’ve agreed with team for a while.

it’s potentially a bit boring and solid but Christ do we need that.

Praying we keep it tight and get a lucky goal then bring Rashica and Tzolis on to tear them apart (we can dream!)

• Like 1

Interesting line up.

It is all going to hinge on how much the wingbacks/central midfielders can get up to support the front two. It should give us more solidity but it could easily end up with Pukki and Sargent totally isolated from the rest of the team. Lots of work for McLean/PLM to do.

Surely Giannoulis has to be playing in a 5 at the back? Irking me a little bit how he’s not being given a chance over Williams.

Williams played great at Arsenal but was at fault for the goals against Leicester and was poor versus Watford.

Giannoulis was MOTM versus Liverpool then had a bad 45 minutes against City (where Mumba replaced him and got caught out twice in the exact same way), and he’s not featured in the league since!

I’d much rather see us develop our own players to be honest, especially when there’s not much to choose between the two. 

But given Giannoulis is clearly superior going forwards, and offers genuine width being left footed, I can’t understand why he isn’t being given the nod today in the wing back role. 

• Like 4

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

9 at the back, deep joy. 

We need a result. Looks on paper like we will try to be defensively sound then look to Sargent to hold it up. It’s pragmatic, if uninspiring and given our situation I don’t blame Farke personally. Grind out at least a point and it could be a catalyst for something. 

• Like 1

My concern is that there is no attacking intentions as you would play Giannoulis instead of Williams, the look of this team makes me feel sick

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Hanley still 😤

He’s the captain, if you are playing 3 out of 4 CBs it’s a massive call to drop the skipper.

Just now, Monty13 said:

He’s the captain, if you are playing 3 out of 4 CBs it’s a massive call to drop the skipper.

Not when he has been utter sh*t

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

We need a result. Looks on paper like we will try to be defensively sound then look to Sargent to hold it up. It’s pragmatic, if uninspiring and given our situation I don’t blame Farke personally. Grind out at least a point and it could be a catalyst for something. 

The main issue I always had with Hughton when he was a boss here was he set his teams out to not lose a game rather than to try and win it. This smacks of the same to me. Best way to win games always has been to score more than the other guy 

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

So I don't upset anyone, just what has to happen before I can boo today.  Of course, I'm hoping I won't have to, but ... 

I think the committee finally agreed that we had to lose 38-0 before anyone could even look slightly annoyed.

If you do boo, you'll be taken to the car park and shot.

OTBC

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jsim1986 said:

Not when he has been utter sh*t

None of our CB's have been bathed in glory particularly. Everyone slaughtered Gibson after Leicester. The left hand side had been identified as the weaker, so he was dropped.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not when he's been the common denominator of a leaky defence.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

None of our CB's have been bathed in glory particularly. Everyone slaughtered Gibson after Leicester. The left hand side had been identified as the weaker, so he was dropped.

Omobamidele hasn't, trying to understand why he was dropped!

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I think the committee finally agreed that we had to lose 38-0 before anyone could even look slightly annoyed.

If you do boo, you'll be taken to the car park and shot.

OTBC

Ah, okay, best behaviour then.  But, can I wave my white hankie around in the air instead?  

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The main issue I always had with Hughton when he was a boss here was he set his teams out to not lose a game rather than to try and win it. This smacks of the same to me. Best way to win games always has been to score more than the other guy 

I don’t personally think that was the issue, it was that he set out not to lose a game but with no real attacking threat, it was unbalanced.

Surely you need to start from a position of not losing but with attacking plan to also win the game? I’ve always been hopeful Farke would find that balance and last season seemed he had at Champ level. Being so open and trying to outscore PL opposition with inferior players is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Other than Giannoulis in for Williams, I think it's about as good as we've got. Perhaps a case for Gilmour instead of Kenny. PLM looked good on Tues and deserves a start. 

We just need to make sure that Gibson isn't taking the ball from Krul under pressure. Neither are assured enough in that left corner. 

Just now, Jsim1986 said:

Omobamidele hasn't, trying to understand why he was dropped!

He's played once hasn't he? Vs Arsenal. He did fine, but Hanley was no worse in that game. At times though, his lack of experience does show. It would be tempting to play him instead of Gibson rather than Hanley for me. You need an experienced head in there and you'd have to say at this point if you wanted one of those three to make way it'd be Gibson on performances alone.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

It does seem to be a regular theme. We saw teams targeting our left hand side a lot last year when Sorenson was filling in there. I thought the arrival Giannoulis / Williams would’ve put a damper on that, but 4 goals conceded down that side against Man City, the first goal against Leicester and god knows how many times Watford got in down that side last weekend. Hopefully we can get it right soon!

1 minute ago, Keith Scott said:

Omobamidele should be starting. He's been the only centre back who hasn't looked a complete liability.

All the best. Big Keith Scott.

When did you become Big 

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ah, okay, best behaviour then.  But, can I wave my white hankie around in the air instead?  

Blimey Shef, you do like to live dangerously; they'll have your arm off at the elbow for that.

OTBC

• Haha 1