Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Who Is To Blame For Our Poor Start? (Poll)

Who Is Most To Blame For Our Poor Start? (POLL)  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is To Blame For Our Poor Start?

• Farke
    • Webber
    • Players

Webber - Given our two most important signings were through the door pretty much on deadline day. I'm sure he was expecting a slow start, but not to the degree we've seen.

Farke - There are plenty of excuses and mitigating factors for him, but given our performances have seen no improvement and arguably a decline, i.e. the first game of the season versus Liverpool was a much better performance than subsequent performances versus Man City and Watford, he has to shoulder some of the blame. The defending of set pieces and general organisation has also been pretty shambolic at times. 

The players - Given how many catastrophic individual errors have been made.

The fans - boo'd on Saturday.  

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ah beaten to it...

Im first to the khazi in the mornings too, its a necessity when I'm so full of carp.

Honestly, international break, loads of players coming in, Covid ruining pre-season - I'm pinning 50% on "The Situation", and the other 50% on Farke's inability to sort out the mistakes.

Ask me again in 2 weeks and I'll pick Farke, but for now - no vote from me.

As for Webber, I'm pretty sure he'd have been working on instructions built on the managers requirements - and that was to build a generally stronger squad, rather than focusing on  2-3 key signings. 

If Farke preferred fewer high quality players then yes, you could point the blame at Webber more - but I don't expect that to have been the case(?).  We'll never know what Farke's true requirements and expectations were either - perhaps he expected players such as Billing? Just don't know.

Edited by Google Bot

It's tough to blame any of three in isolation as there are many factors at play.

The first was just the bad luck of the covid outbreak which left half the squad without a proper preseason and the other half having a preseason without half of their teammates. Also, the fixture list was very tough for the first few games which has left us playing catch up.

Webber isn't blameless; whilst he has signed us several very good players, there's a distinct lack of experience so maybe a couple of older heads instead of some of the younger players could've left us with a more balanced squad that's ready for the Premier League, but overall the business he did looks on a player-by-player basis.

Farke can only use what he has available, but he doesn't know his best team and the defence is nowhere as organised as a Premier League defence should be, possibly as a result of so much chopping and changing.

The players can only play at the best of their ability and they're clearly giving it their all, but of course there have been too many errors. If the player isn't good enough though, it's not their fault.

So it's a combination of many factors and not possible or fair to blame individuals.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You missed out the actual answer

Which is yawning chasm in class between the Premier League and the Championship.

A very good point which Brentford fans agree with. 

• Haha 2

I think mainly Farke personally but also a bit of Webber too to be honest.

Farke despite not having an amazing squad should be able to get more out of them than he is right now, now we may see that change in the coming games but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. We look even more toothless so far than we did last time around and the defence is still a shambles no matter who he puts in unfortunately, I really want to see it work in this league with him at the helm but it's safe to say my confidence aint exactly high right now.

Webber also needs to take a little of the blame as whilst the players on paper look like a talented bunch, we are still really missing a really streetwise experienced player in this squad who can gee up the players in a similar mould to how Holty did so all those years back.

It's really hard to just blame individuals but it just gets frustrating to see us make an embarrassment of our selves last time round and also this time round (so far) I just really hope Farke can steer us around from another relegation but it's gonna have to be a hefty 180 spin in my opinion.

The players. Their lack of determination, grit and passion in and out of possession is shocking. 

Farke has to take some of the blame of course, but the basic errors being made and general laziness is not his fault IMO

I'm sure the fans of every club who have sacked their manager feel the players are in part way to blame, but it's generally the manager who bites the dust. Just the way football is. 

Whoever programmed the software that generated this year’s fixture list gets my vote, what a b%stard.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You missed out the actual answer

Which is yawning chasm in class between the Premier League and the Championship.

True to an extent of course, but Watford and Brentford are acquitting themselves far far better than we are, in spite of the fact we were head and shoulders better than both sides last year. So there must be other factors at play!

39 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A very good point which Brentford fans agree with. 

Just like the Sheffield Utd fans agreed with it two seasons ago you mean? 

• Like 1

A combination of all the above- thought the over arching issue is lack of funds to compete at this level. Fault might not be the right word in that case. But certainly our ownership struggle when promoted to make us competitive. 

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just like the Sheffield Utd fans agreed with it two seasons ago you mean? 

Sheff United were super competitive and had a very memorable first season in the PL and then the wheels fell off in the second season. I don't see how that backs up your claim, are you trying to say their first season was a fluke or something?

Do you really think the 'yawning chasm between the champs and the PL' is the main factor at play here? 

If so then how do you explain this:

• Championship 18/19 - finished 1st, 5 points ahead of Sheff United and 18 points ahead of Aston Villa
  • Premier League 19/20 - finished 20th in the PL, 33 points behind Sheff United and 14 points behind Aston Villa 
  • Championship 20/21 - finished 1st, 6 points ahead of Watford and 10 points ahead of Brentford
  • Premier League 21/22 - already 20th in the PL, so far 8 points behind Brentford and 6 points behind Watford
Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Just now, Yellow Green Army said:

COVID, lack of preseason and stupid international breaks have all played a part resulting in poor preparation = poor performance.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Honestly, international break, loads of players coming in, Covid ruining pre-season - I'm pinning 50% on "The Situation", and the other 50% on Farke's inability to sort out the mistakes.

I like the use of this excuse as its a positive one and it also absolves any of the aforementioned parties from blame as its an externality / out of our control. But at what what point does the COVID / pre-season excuse stop bearing semblance?

Up to now we have played pretty well against Liverpool in the opening game, then catastrophically against Man City, then okay against Leicester and Arsenal and then back to catastrophic against Watford? 

So can we can really blame the pre-season / COVID for the game against Watford? 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Ask me again in 2 weeks and I'll pick Farke, but for now - no vote from me.

As for Webber, I'm pretty sure he'd have been working on instructions built on the managers requirements - and that was to build a generally stronger squad, rather than focusing on  2-3 key signings. 

If Farke preferred fewer high quality players then yes, you could point the blame at Webber more - but I don't expect that to have been the case(?).  We'll never know what Farke's true requirements and expectations were either - perhaps he expected players such as Billing? Just don't know.

I'm with the bot...

The emboldened bit especially. Essentially you subscribe to two versions of events re Buendia. 1) that he wanted to leave, 2) that the club chose to sell him. But other than that, many of the players that left, needed to be replaced and few were difficult choices.

MF: Tettey, Trybull, Leitner, Vrancic and the end of Skipp's loan. The only one of those players there is a remote argument about keeping - as in, we may have had a choice in keeping and would possibly be worth arguing we should have kept in my view is Vrancic. Everyone would have loved to keep Skipp, but that was always in Spurs' hands and it was pretty clear from early doors that a return was unlikely. For me, that means we simply had to get more numbers in. McLean, Sorenson and Rupp were not going to be enough. PLM, Normann and Gilmore have all shown quality so far, albeit in Normann's one appearance.

I think the rest is pretty much the same. Going into the season with 4 CB's, one of whom is 19 and experiencing their first full season as a first team squad member was repeating history. Kabak in for Klose with Omobamidele promoted to the first team squad is a no brainer. Same with bringing in Williams.

I've yet to see an argument that spending the same money but on fewer players would make sense in terms of what we needed to do to the squad.