Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Who Is To Blame For Our Poor Start? (Poll)

Who Is Most To Blame For Our Poor Start? (POLL)  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is To Blame For Our Poor Start?

• Farke
    • Webber
    • Players

10 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Actually - didn't see your two posts on the first page of the thread.

Briefly - Season 19-20 we spent approximately 2.5pence strengthening our team and then had a horrendous injury crisis. Villa spent about 14 trillion on their team and only stayed up because of a scandalous failure of goal line technology. Sheff Utd had a very settled team from their progress through the divisions (quite like us under Lambert) and then rode the crest of a wave and zero injuries all season - before crashing and burning the following season.

Still incredibly early days yet this season, but obviously some very poor defending and individual errors have cost us so far - plus our incredibly difficult start to the season (Watford excepted).

And before some numpty mentions Arsenal - just look at the actual line ups for their game AWAY at Brentford compared to their line up at HOME to us. 

No probs 👍 - agreed the injury crisis is a legitimate excuse for 19/20 to a point, but I don’t think it can be levelled at the way we finished the season - that was simply beyond any excuse.

And yes early days so far, but I still think we’ve looked worse than we should - even taking stock of the quality of opposition. I don’t think it’s just down to the quality in league disparity as I’d say we are playing way below par regardless, as shown versus Watford and Leicester (but I agree with you the Arsenal / Brentford comparison doesn’t hold).

Based on Leicester’s opening games they are a shadow of the side from last year, ironically they have half a defence just like us 2 years ago, obviously they have a much stronger starting point than us then too, but that game at home was a very very winnable one. They were awful on the day, one of the poorer sides I can remember seeing in a PL game. We managed to get most of the play but still wind up losers, the similarities to 2 years ago should be noted.

And I think that is the most concerning thing for me so far this season, we’ve got a whole new team of players, a new system of play and a whole new set of excuses for why we’re underperforming, yet it’s the exact same set of problems we’re seeing. Why is that?

Not to be super critical of us, as I do subscribe to the excuses, just not to the extent of our (lack of) performance so far, which brings me to laying some blame at the door of Farke and the players. (And Webber who probably expected a slow start given the recruitment policy)

However I’ve said this before but hopefully now Normann and Kabak are in the team, we will be over the worst of it. I’m hopeful we’ve just seen our worst performance of the season versus Watford, expecting to see some green shoots today. Need that losing run monkey off our backs ASAP!

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Fixture list

Yes, this has a lot to do with it.  All fixtures are tough - without exception, but the first two games were not helpful. 

But the positive to that is that we had a very new squad with plenty of new faces, which will take time to get the best out of - and by the time we do, we will want to be playing lesser opposition teams anyway, so actually to get two of the hadrest games out of the way might help us later on, while those around us still have to play them. 

I don't like the word "blame" anyway, it's far too complex to pin it on one person as it is a combination of factors.  Farke is responsible for the team, so results are his ultimate responsibility, but he is the one who always seems to keep his head and know how to get the best out of us when needed.  Some will point to the ten games at the end of last time we were here, but really there were complex reasons for that too.

We don't need anyone to blame at this stage anyway - just need to focus on getting behind our fantastic manager and his team, who unless we have forgotten, has given us two spectacularly brilliant seasons in the last three years. This one is only five games old and we have plenty to play for.

Blame? Save it for after the last game of the season and see if we need to blame anyone for anything.

Everyone is a little bit culpable but no one person is really at fault. 

The board for insisting that we try to play total football just because fans didn't like Hughton's unique, particular brand of slow, ultra defensive football. You can probably also critisise them for being too afraid of even a little bit of debt when we have so many saleable assets. I would argue going 10-15m into debt this season to get the targets we need wouldn't be an issue because we could easily recoup that upon relegation by selling a young player. 

Webber for signing mostly small, physically weak, slow players who don't have much to offer off the ball. our strong players are slow, our quick players are weak and none of them appear to work hard enough or have enough desire to do the basics like not getting beat in 1 v 1's and defending their space or blocking runners at set pieces etc

Farke is the least culpable for me, he has his philosophy and we're paying him to implement it. He probably can't coach a team to play a different way, it's not his fault his style of football doesn't work for a weak team playing in the most physical league in the world. What he does do he does superbly, it's just not suitable for a relegation battle. 

The players for not working hard enough off the ball. I end up tearing my hair out when I see us lose the ball high the just gently trot back into position when every other team at this level sprints back into shape every single time they lose it no matter how tired they are. 

Our CB's for switching off and just in general being incapable of dealing with crosses

All of our midfielders and defenders for being incapable of dealing with fast wingers with good dribbling skills.

You can lay a little bit of blame at everyone's feet but i feel it's a cultural problem at the club. The board took our reaction to Hughton's football the wrong way and now we're paying the price by being too idealistic, naive and way, way too much of a bunch of overly nice pushovers. We need to keep all the good parts of our model but adapt some things that just aren't working.

Some things will take a long time to change but one thing i want to see an immediate change in starting today is our off the ball intensity and concentration. When we lose it I want us to bloody well get back and quickly, foul if necessary, defend space for set pieces like we should be and if a fast, tricky winger is cutting us open I want to see him kicked off the pitch like other teams do to our forwards when they get the ball. I also want us to start putting ref's under pressure like Chelsea and Man Utd do and playing to the whistle wouldn't be a bad idea either. 

I don't understand why the board of directors are not on the list, So Farke after another championship title says to Delia and co I want to sell my best players cos we don't need them in the premiership ?, then he says I want to buy dross or get loan signings to cover the gaps in the squad ?, everyone knows the answer is that Norwich under the current board have no ambition and are quite happy to yo yo up and down and be the laughing stock of the football world.

3 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Fixture list

Confidence is an amazing thing in football.

Brighton were given the sort of early season fixtures to dream of and they have done well. Their first four games were Burnley, Watford, Everton (at home, they lost) and Brentford. As a result their confidence is high and they will be difficult for any team to beat.

We were given the fixtures from hell, Liverpool, Manchester City, Leicester and Arsenal, and we lost, as a result our confidence is very low and we are considered easy pickings for any team.

It will be that much harder as a result for us to get points.

• Like 1

Its very rarely one thing. Would have to be very simple minded to think it was. Cause and effect and all that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chicken said:

I blame it on polls, too many polls. 

See you in court!! Someone important  owns that poll I'll  have  you know.!!! 👍😇😉

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

See you in court!! Someone important  owns that poll I'll  have  you know.!!! 👍😇😉

You are mistaken, I said poles, metal poles, they are always getting in the way... or moving, so it's harder to score. 😉🤪😳

Edited by chicken

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

You are mistaken, I said poles, metal poles, they are always getting in the way... or moving, so it's harder to score. 😉🤪😳

I do apologise, I think I might have over reacted.  I do hope this hasnt affected my reputation and good standing on this board. I do look damn fine in the mirror though. Those poles ....are they a bit like goalposts moving..?...... asking for a 'friend'.

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I do apologise, I think I might have over reacted.  I do hope this hasnt affected my reputation and good standing on this board. I do look damn fine in the mirror though. Those poles ....are they a bit like goalposts moving..?...... asking for a 'friend'.

A bit, yes. "Friend" what's one of those? 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, this has a lot to do with it.  All fixtures are tough - without exception, but the first two games were not helpful. 

But the positive to that is that we had a very new squad with plenty of new faces, which will take time to get the best out of - and by the time we do, we will want to be playing lesser opposition teams anyway, so actually to get two of the hadrest games out of the way might help us later on, while those around us still have to play them. 

I don't like the word "blame" anyway, it's far too complex to pin it on one person as it is a combination of factors.  Farke is responsible for the team, so results are his ultimate responsibility, but he is the one who always seems to keep his head and know how to get the best out of us when needed.  Some will point to the ten games at the end of last time we were here, but really there were complex reasons for that too.

We don't need anyone to blame at this stage anyway - just need to focus on getting behind our fantastic manager and his team, who unless we have forgotten, has given us two spectacularly brilliant seasons in the last three years. This one is only five games old and we have plenty to play for.

Blame? Save it for after the last game of the season and see if we need to blame anyone for anything.

Agree with all this. OTBC

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

Confidence is an amazing thing in football.

Brighton were given the sort of early season fixtures to dream of and they have done well. Their first four games were Burnley, Watford, Everton (at home, they lost) and Brentford. As a result their confidence is high and they will be difficult for any team to beat.

We were given the fixtures from hell, Liverpool, Manchester City, Leicester and Arsenal, and we lost, as a result our confidence is very low and we are considered easy pickings for any team.

It will be that much harder as a result for us to get points.

Yep. Onwards and upwards.

To blame for what?    Running the club well, improving the team, spending all that money???    

We have a short term problem, quite a glaring one but it’s here and yes, Daniel could manage the team a lot differently, I for one wish he would at the moment, love to see us park the bus and get a clean sheet, take a 0-0 any day!   But we didn’t replace the midfield properly on relegation, or since so don’t have strong athletic types and now too many faces to integrate at one time… Skipp was a mistake as we still have that big void in the middle!      But it was done with the best intentions….. 

We make plenty of mistakes, it’s the way you learn hopefully.

Yes things aren’t good, but there isn’t one constructive comment on this thread yet.  

Now is not the time to blame,   

Now is time for fans to step up, close these negative threads down and show support.  

On 24/09/2021 at 14:11, Thirsty Lizard said:

You missed out the actual answer

Which is yawning chasm in class between the Premier League and the Championship.

The owners can’t identify that, so why should we?

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The owners are a major part of the problem. 

I know, I can’t be bothered to do the Leicester/Brighton/Burnley vs Sunderland/Portsmouth/derby argument all Over again. It isn’t going to change and it’s so sad, this club deserves premier league football.

On 24/09/2021 at 14:55, Dean Coneys boots said:

A combination of all the above- thought the over arching issue is lack of funds to compete at this level. Fault might not be the right word in that case. But certainly our ownership struggle when promoted to make us competitive. 

Blame isn't the right word as we should all be in this together but the buck stops at the top in ensuring we are all in it together.

A poll such as this isn't valuable as football supporters are conditioned to blame the manager/coach.

Board members should have been working with local businesses much like they did when we signed Darren Huckerby to ensure that team strengthening funds were available at the right time to enable proper planning prior to the seasons start.

• Haha 1

Selling Emi as soon as they could. Undersold at that.

that one decision is costing us, and could well result in relegation. 
I know normally one player does not make a team…….but this boy did!

On 26/09/2021 at 13:20, Bradwell canary said:

Selling Emi as soon as they could. Undersold at that.

that one decision is costing us, and could well result in relegation. 
I know normally one player does not make a team…….but this boy did!

Yes - it was amazing how he single handedly kept us in the Premier League only two short seasons ago.................

I blame,   The government, brexit, the pandemic, the Germans, the hauliers, the weather, the scammers, the Romans, computers,the cheese makers, Delia smiths cooking, the drains, the rich , the Chinese, all dog walkers, Bin Laden, the media. Anyone and everyone. 

Ah that’s better.

Interesting that at this point in the season only 12.5% of people who voted believed that Webber was to blame for our poor start to the season.

40.96% blamed Farke.

But as soon as Webber sacks Farke, there are suddenly lots of voices claiming that Farke is the fall guy for Webber's poor summer transfer spend. 

I voted Webber, by the way, due to the poor transfer window, but I was a lonely voice until he sacked Farke yesterday! 

abcde.JPG.2630fa03bed70edc88378124f1e0ca92.JPG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten