Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzar

Tactics to beat Everton?

It's looking like it'll be Rondon up front, with Gray and Townsend either side. They look strong through the middle with Allan and Doucoure, but defensively I think we can get at them - Pukki's movement will cause Mina and Keane some problems.

As Coleman's out, Godfrey at right back will cause us fewer problems on the overlap going forward than Digne might on the left. How do we think DF will set up for this game - it's one I feel we do have a chance in?

T

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

It's looking like it'll be Rondon up front, with Gray and Townsend either side. They look strong through the middle with Allan and Doucoure, but defensively I think we can get at them - Pukki's movement will cause Mina and Keane some problems.

As Coleman's out, Godfrey at right back will cause us fewer problems on the overlap going forward than Digne might on the left. How do we think DF will set up for this game - it's one I feel we do have a chance in?

Tie Everton players boots together and blindfold them. 

Not a game for being expansive so a 442 - staying calm and patient in the first half, keeping two lines of four across the park, don't let full backs go forward as much as they are used to, wait for opportunities to break then move forward with pace with Pukki and Sargent.  Sub Pukki and Sargent early in the second half for Idah and Tzolis to keep fresh legs up front.   Not playing for a draw, but 0-0 would be a good result, if we keep it at 0-0, maybe sneak a winner in to take all three points with a 0-1.

Sneak a couple of extra players onto the pitch while the ref isn’t looking and play with 13.

That way we might only lose by the odd goal 😉😉

We need to grind out a perpfmrance become stout and tough to break down. So far we have shown weaknesses here but I do think it is about having 2 strikers to hold up, make runs and have the ability to buy a little. So pukki and Sargent upfront with a three man robust midfield of PLM, McLean and Normann. Then a back five of Aaron's, Omobamidele, Hanley, Kabak, Dimi or Williams. But we need our full backs to be disciplined, and the whole team. 

I think you can add dowell to the mix later kn the game if Sargent or Pukki tire. Changing it so he sits behind a little, then maybe gilmour for PLM or Kenny to add a bit more range to our attack.

But right now we need experience heads, strength, power and experience and this is our best group. You could argue Gibson should be part of this and I think he could be as we know he barks out orders. So he could be in that back three and switch another out, but kabak starts.

27 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Sneak a couple of extra players onto the pitch while the ref isn’t looking and play with 13.

That way we might only lose by the odd goal 😉😉

We've lost to odd goals all season long. 3 0 vs Liverpool, 5 0 man City, 3 1 vs Watford 1 0 vs arsenal, all scored odd amount of goals. 2 1 vs Leicester but that was an odd goal that beat us. 

1 hour ago, smooth said:

We need to grind out a perpfmrance become stout and tough to break down. 

I’m not sure getting fatter is going to help.

• Like 1

This is really not an Everton team to be afraid of with their two best strikers out injured and Godfrey at right back. I really fancy us to win it. Villa murdered them last week without Buendia.

• Like 1

They play direct counter attacking football and get the ball out wide and put crosses in whenever possible. If we set up like we normally do we'll get battered, we have to approach the game like we did v Man City 2 years ago by defending deep, not pi55ing around with it at the back and we should try to break quickly when possible. 

I don't think it'll be enough tbh as our Cb's are so poor at dealing with balls from out wide but we can't afford to try to play possession football against them because they'll smash us and that will not do anything for our confidence going forward. We have to hope Townsend and Gray have off days as well because those are the types of fast, direct wingers who normally tear us to pieces

Don't think we have the personnel to shut up shop for 90 mins; few teams have to be fair.

We need to cut out the stupid errors and play like we did against Arsenal during the latter part of the first half. Hopefully Everton have an off day.

Joking aside my previous comment. 

Go back to 4231 for christ sake. Start tzolis and see if he makes up for midweek. 

Krul

Aarons AO Kabak Giannoulis 

Normann if fit enough McLean 

Tzolis Dowell Rashica if fit enough / Sargent 

Pukki

• Like 1

It’s quite simple, really - we need to start to play properly and defend as a team, rather than a bunch of guys who have just met down the rec for a kickabout.  I think having Kabak and Normann up to speed will be a big help.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think that if we keep our shape with a back 3 or midfield 3 and counterattack when the opportunity arises, we could pull a surprise like we did last time when Pukki sent Cantwell racing through for the opening goal. Much will depend on how Normann plays after a decent debut against Watford:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-mathias-normann-player-watch-8336204

If he stays solid in front of the defence and also plays the penetrating through balls to Pukki, Sargent and Rashica/Tzolis it could just catch Everton out.

Don't give Townsend any space, I know that much.  Just hope he isn't playing on the left as Max always stands off players.

11 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Don't give Townsend any space, I know that much.  Just hope he isn't playing on the left as Max always stands off players.

WhoScored shows him on the right of an er, 4-4-2! Rafa must be over 60 then. I'd rather see Normann and McLean in midfield.

Screenshot_20210925-094459.png

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

15 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Joking aside my previous comment. 

Go back to 4231 for christ sake. Start tzolis and see if he makes up for midweek. 

Lets be honest, if he is paying for the squad to have a Greek meal, I'd play him because he'll need the goal/assist bonuses to help pay for it... 

I agree with the 4-2-3-1. Normann back as one of the two, alongside PLM for me. Sargent in the middle of the attacking three with Tzolis on one side and Dowell/Rashica on the other. Sargent to play the Stiepermann role with a bit more physicality.

I would also leave Tzolis forward when defending a corner. Encourage Pukki and Sargent to swap from goal kicks when wanting to hit it long. Mix it up a bit. 

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1