BroadstairsR

Ryder Cup.

Three days of glorious golf and riveting viewing in store, no doubt.

Match play always has an edge for the spectator, imo.

The Americans seem to be strong favourites, but I suspect Padraig will be a good and popular captain for the Europeans, so you never know. 

I didn't agree with him omitting Rose though, neither with the non-selection nor with the reasoning behind it.

The Englishman might have had a bad run recently, and certainly below his usual high standards, but the old adage in golf that you can be rubbish one day and brilliant the next applies to pros as well as us amateurs. Justin Rose would have been perfectly capable of rising to the occasion.

His experience and know-how in the competition, along with the reputation of the player will have in the opposition's minds would have been invaluable as I see it.

Never mind.

It could all hinge on the last day again, the last few games possibly and maybe Shane Lowry will pull a rabbit from the hat after all in the final game to seal a Euro win, and preferably against Koepka?

Edited by BroadstairsR

From just witnessing the opening ceremony it does seem that the  Americans are particularly anxious to win this time around.

Set aside the expected patriotic gush-fest expected of the occasion, which surely puts even the Last Night of the Proms in the shadows, a real determination to succeed can be detected in them there hills and fairways.

Interestingly, the flag raised for the Europeans is the EU flag. Bad fail considering the team is mostly populated by Brits (and Hovland is Norwegian.)

Macron will be over the moon though, and it will surely appease him for the disappointment of a team devoid of a Frenchman (as usual.) He does love a gesture, after all.

Never mind. 

When the UK & Europe work together they can achieve great things.

Since 1979 it's been a contest, before that GB & Ireland regularly got a beating from the USA.

There's a good lesson to be learnt. 🙂

• Like 1

I'm getting into golf as my friend is a keen player.

He's promised to take me to the family golf centre one day.

Is there crazy golf there? I'm good at that. I got a hole in one in Yarmouth once, and that was before I bought the ticket.

Seriously this competition is big, they all talk of little else, after City talk that is.

I'm looking forward to it. 

What's a Padraig?

1 hour ago, DannyGirl said:

What's a Padraig?

It's a special rule that allows you to represent the Republic of Ireland in the Olympics even though you were born in the North.

It's the USA versus Europe. Of course they would have a European flag and the only one that represents nearly all of Europe is the EU flag. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Makes no sense at all, unless there's a need to embellish the event with political symbols.

Eligibility to play in a Ryder Cup team is based upon geography, and in this case the geography of the European Tour, and not politics.

The USA are playing Europe as defined by this tour. They are not playing against the EU.

The European Tour has its own brand new flag, not that they seem bothered about the matter, probably assuming the event it'self need not concern it'self with such issues. It'll probably be expensive to stray from tradition in any case.

Although, with two thirds of the European team not being from  EU countries some might see a contradiction here, others might view it with a wry smile.

The golf remains superb, whatever.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Why do they let GB & NI take part we've left the EU, we should negotiate a new cup, one that from our position of strength we could dictate the terms.

* Update *

Liz Truss has negotiated a new cup. GB & NI play the USA. USA golfers get to golf clubs and golf balls, GB & NI will use sticks of surplus celery and dandelions.

The Express calls it 'ANOTHER BREXIT TRIUMPH'.

I believe that there is already a thread or two devoted to that kind of nonsense, not that many are bothered with it nowadays. 

• Like 1

Nevertheless, please do your blubbing elsewhere, as indicated.

Now that the flag issue has been discussed, there might, just might, be one or two forum members more interested in a thread discussing events in the current golf match between the USA and Europe.

Edited by BroadstairsR

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ha Ha, just go back and read your second post for some top blubbing.

"Ha ha?" "Top blubbing?"

Dear me.

Can I perhaps have an explanation/translation, please?

On second thoughts, don't bother.

Edited by BroadstairsR

DeChambeau pin high on a 400yd par 4, in the bunker mind you😀

Astonishing

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Not as astonishing as the constant lies told by Boris Johnson about everything.

Are you suggesting he fiddled his card?

23 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, that's Trump & Kim Jong-un's way of playing golf. 

Trumpet couldn’t count higher than six 

As a keen golfer, the Ryder Cup is one of my favourite golfing events. What I find really off putting though are the USA fans. I know football is partisan but somehow in my old-fashioned (UK?) way I feel there ought to be some etiquette and sportsmanship in golf. The shouts and cries before some of the European players took shots (on a few occasions they had to stop and re-set before teeing off) is unacceptable. So, I watch with the sound turned off. It is even worse when your own team is winning so handsomely. Brookline was the nadir.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

On 25/09/2021 at 14:09, KiwiScot said:

Looks like Team America is tearing us a new one

Yeh, this doesn’t feel like a proper Ryder Cup to me, but fair play to the Americans, they have played some cracking golf.