Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

We need a captain

Someone else posted this a while ago and yesterday someone said it was noticeable on Tuesday that our players don't talk to each other. We haven't really had a larger than life captain since Grant Holt and he and Duncan Forbes are the best I've seen in that role. It was probably Lambert's greatest masterstroke appointing Holt but we don't seem to have a player like that at the moment. 

I'm a huge admirer of Farke but his one shortcoming seems to be a lack of vocal encouragement. One of the Watford staff was constantly on his feet shouting encouragment and praise. Farke just doesn't do that. 

I know this is the modern game but that doesn't mean that you can't get a bit vocal. 

• Like 5

Agreed. The penalty argument the other day being the prime example. A complete absence of on-field leadership, letting a 19 and 20 year old fight over something that should be set in stone.

• Like 1

Re the penalty incident, we had a captain on the pitch. Shouldn't Hanley have stepped in? Feels we are weak from top to bottom at the moment.

• Like 1

Not that I think Zimbo should be brought back into the fold, but him and Krul had a pretty good relationship in-terms of communication across the back. I do agree, Hanley doesn't appear to offer a lot in terms of leadership. I don't really see anyone in the squad who is more of a talker though, we are a generally quiet team. Perhaps Normann might take the role if he grows into the team. In hindsight, it doesn't fit the model, but an old head free agent with a gob may have been beneficial. 

Krul Mistress,

Surely there should be no need for on field leadership re penalties, I cannot believe the manager had not appointed a penalty taker before KO.  if he did and his instructions were being ignored that tells it's own story, if he didn't that also tells it's own story!

100% agree, that was me who brought up the lack of communication. You're 100% right about a new captain, Hanley is an atrocious choice, no talking at all and has the personality of a wet weekend in Scarborough. 

I just can't think who though, as Krul is the obvious choice but I don't like keeper captains. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

100% agree, that was me who brought up the lack of communication. You're 100% right about a new captain, Hanley is an atrocious choice, no talking at all and has the personality of a wet weekend in Scarborough. 

I just can't think who though, as Krul is the obvious choice but I don't like keeper captains. 

Sorry Ken, I couldn't remember who it was who brought it up and I couldn't find it. I have a German friend who thinks it's ridiculous that footballers need encouragement or guidance on the pitch but perhaps that's the difference between us and Germany. 

We don't have Grant Holt on the pitch but perhaps we need to pay him to stand on the halfway line and share his thoughts. It would work for me if I was playing 

• Like 1

Read on EDP in Farke's interview that he was unhappy that Tzolis took the penalty, but more so that none of the senior players on the pitch communicated who should have taken the penalty.

Whether Hanley is the scapegoat, or you accept he's playing poorly, we need a strong encourager on the pitch to rally and get the players fired up and working together. I don't see Hanley doing that, in that I don't believe Hanley should be playing as he's the common denominator for in so many poor defensive performances. 

Any suggestions? I don’t see another obvious leader likely to start every week, maybe Pukki? 

Also do people not think stripping the captain of his armband may have a tad of a negative affect on the team?

I suppose if he injured someone else takes the armband. He can stay club captain, but imo he should be dropped and given to someone else.

Pukki crossed my mind, but is he a natural leader?

Could it be Krul, trying to recall if Schmeichel was ever captain for Man U, but he was always seen to be shouting instructions. 

Agree with OP.  I like Hanley as a player, but I've not seen him be particularly vocal to the team (rather than just organising the defence / pointing positionally, etc).  Zimmerman would be captain every day for me as he's evidently an erudite man - if he was actually playing...

My next choice would probably be Kenny.  He's confident, leads by example and a bit mouthy.  

Failing that, I have no idea - which isn't a great sign.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Also do people not think stripping the captain of his armband may have a tad of a negative affect on the team?

Depends whether the squad think he's a good captain or not? 

I'll point out that arguably the world's best-ever international manager (and indeed German) in Helmut Schön was not renowned for his mouth either. Indeed Beckenbauer said Schön motivated by giving the impression he was insulted if he felt you'd not given everything.

Doesn't always need a mouth on the field, just lead by solid, determined example.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Doesn't always need a mouth on the field, just lead by solid, determined example.

So, we're definitely ruling Hanley out then.... 😏

Farke has never been vocal on the sidelines and we've won two championship titles. I dont think that's the problem.. 

17 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Depends whether the squad think he's a good captain or not? 

Very true, but unfortunately not anything we are likely to find out.

Leadership is more than just about the captain, though thats a good start!

There is very limited on-field communication between our guys, that may be partly due to lack of confidence, insecurity concerning roles and self belief. 

Its a big problem for us, I would expect the see Grant, Kenny, Pukki stepping up and showing some leadership, it isn't there atm, a massive disadvantage.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Farke has never been vocal on the sidelines and we've won two championship titles. I dont think that's the problem.. 

Sadly everything becomes a problem when we are losing. I can't remember a time when Farke's pre and post match comments have been criticised as much as they are right now. Understandable to a degree I guess but still a bit OTT.

9 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sadly everything becomes a problem when we are losing. I can't remember a time when Farke's pre and post match comments have been criticised as much as they are right now. Understandable to a degree I guess but still a bit OTT.

When you dont get results everything and everyone becomes a target for those seeking to blame.

I'm pretty sure the absence of sufficient ladies wc's and further absence of sufficient wash hand basins and dryers is affecting our game

Edited by Van wink

Things are far too pally in the dressing room and there is a seige mentality in place to deflect all criticism.

Until the owners, the management and the players understand that one more humiliating relegation won't be as easily forgiven as the last.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Things are far too pally in the dressing room and there is a seige mentality in place to deflect all criticism.

Until the owners, the management and the players understand that one more humiliating relegation won't be as easily forgiven as the last.

A siege mentality is exactly what we need, without it you end up in the third tier, as you know.

Would like to think Mathius Normann could eventually take the mantle of skipper.Asking a lot though of a player who has just arrived at the club,but appears to have a confident attitude and plays in a position where he can impose himself on a game and lead by example.Might put a few noses out joint among the Hanleys and so forth but who cares.Need somebody who can grab this team by its b#lls and elicit some fight from it!!!

42 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Would like to think Mathius Normann could eventually take the mantle of skipper.Asking a lot though of a player who has just arrived at the club,but appears to have a confident attitude and plays in a position where he can impose himself on a game and lead by example.Might put a few noses out joint among the Hanleys and so forth but who cares.Need somebody who can grab this team by its b#lls and elicit some fight from it!!!

Might be a bit strange given he's on loan and Hanley is the club captain but I would be all for it. No stone must be left unturned this season in our fight for survival, whether it be changing the capt, head coach or Director of Football. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Might be a bit strange given he's on loan and Hanley is the club captain but I would be all for it. No stone must be left unturned this season in our fight for survival, whether it be changing the capt, head coach or Director of Football. 

All three of them should crack it then....

🙃

I think part of the answer is that it is still very early days.

Normann has been at the club less than a month. A month that includes being away for two weeks on international duty. He's still getting to know his team mates and the role he is expected to play at this club.

Lees-Melou is another who has led on the pitch before coming to us.

A little more time might start to see some of the newer players prepared to be more vocal and build a presence on the pitch.