Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Gambling sponsors set to be be banned on football shirts

Unlikely to come in before 2023 the article says and the BK8 deal was for 2021/22 only as is Lotus. Ok if we remain a Premier League club, but we might head back to the days of Poll & Withey Windows. May have implications for us and lower league teams.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Absolutely - smaller sides (and I am including us in that bracket) will have a pretty sizeable hole to plug, financially. 

Different for the big teams who's appeal is global, but for everyone else, it presents a big challenge. 

I am not saying I am against the proposed ruling on principle, but it will further widen the financial field when it does come into effect. 

Yeah this has been coming a while, no real surprise. Glad we won't have to **** ourselves out to the highest bidding dodgy firm nobody has ever heard of.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unlikely to come in before 2023 the article says and the BK8 deal was for 2021/22 only as is Lotus. Ok if we remain a Premier League club, but we might head back to the days of Poll & Withey Windows. May have implications for us and lower league teams.

fa-barclaycard-premiership-match-wolverh

jason-roberts-of-portsmouth-running-with

Bring back the good old days of sponsers 😉

It's my youngest son's 16th birthday today. He's a long-term NCFC ST holder & despises the whole gambling thing in football. Multiple ads promoting betting were shown during the Norwich vs Liverpool Carabao Cup game & it's clear how overloaded it's become. Even at his age, he cites the misery these products can create - as a father I'm pretty grateful he has formed this view tbh...

• Like 2

From all the adverts I’ve seen in life, I’ve never been impressed with the likes of alcohol, gambling, even fast food companies. I’ve always felt they should be banned, just like tobacco companies have.

I mean why were tobacco companies banned?

A: Smoking is addictive, and very bad for your health 

So here are my views on the other types:

Alcohol - addictive, not good for your health, causes loads of problems every year like on street violence and drink-driving related accidents 

Gambling - yes you can win money but if unsuccessful you lose it, with it being addictive and causing financial problems for loads of people 

Fast food - less serious than the others as not addictive and ok provided you exercise to cover for it. Even so, it is causing plenty of obesity problems