paokfan

Hello from Greece

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Not forgetting he had a gun, of course, surprised you didn't notice that I removed it on that image .....   I hear you don't mess with Pontics, is that true?  lol 🙂

The gun was just a good story for reporters. Yes, he shouldn't have taken off his jacket and the world wouldn't have known or bothered. He is allowed to carry a gun legally (not inside a football stadium though I guess 😛). He didn't threaten anyone, he didn't take it out of its case and no one in the stadium, not the fans, not the players, not anyone, had in fact noticed it. Later that evening a photo of Savvidis with a gun on him was posted by a reporter and suddenly everyone was losing their minds. After all these years, aek fc fans still only mention the gun, but me... I only remember how my heart broke that evening...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paokfan said:

No, not a joke whatsoever. Here in Greece most of us start learning English from a young age. Yes, most of them don't speak the language very good (I count myself among them as far as speech goes) but me, I got my Cambridge profficiency certificate. So yes, I know the language well enough I guess. 

For the people thinking that my English is too good to be Greek, I am flattered. 😀

I know an AEK supporter. He says PAOK are nearly as corrupt as Evangelos at Olympiakos. Is that true?

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What do you think to booing ? Would PAOK fans keep clapping the players off even after 5 consecutive defeats? 

I believe that not only it doesn't help the team but creates pressure, but I would still do it. I mean, it is just natural. You are passionate about the club and you can't help but boo. 

As for PAOK fans, we booed the team after our first loss in the season against PAS Giannena so we aren't really an example to look up to. 😛 There is a lot of negativity among PAOK fans today after a win, because we did not play well. 

2 minutes ago, paokfan said:

I believe that not only it doesn't help the team but creates pressure, but I would still do it. I mean, it is just natural. You are passionate about the club and you can't help but boo. 

As for PAOK fans, we booed the team after our first loss in the season against PAS Giannena so we aren't really an example to look up to. 😛 There is a lot of negativity among PAOK fans today after a win, because we did not play well. 

Can you recommend any good managers from Turkey?

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Do you think Norwich will stay in the Premier League this season?  Because personally I Athens a clue. 

I would certainly hope so. At the end of the day, a team doesn't have to play well in order to avoid relegation, it just needs to play better that a few teams. And that I believe it is a realistic goal.

7 minutes ago, paokfan said:

After all these years, aek fc fans still only mention the gun, but me... I only remember how my heart broke that evening...

Sure thing, The initial photos I saw looked crazy to start with but when you watch the actual video it's not all that bad as it was reported.  I'm sure it was used as clickbait many places.  But it's something I always relate to PAOK as it was shocking at first sight.

What do you personally think of Tzolis?  We hear was considered a wonderkid in Greece, Is that true or hype? 

Also, we've paid for 15+ million of players from PAOK, why have they spent so little themselves?  Is Savvidis famous for taking money from the club, or do you find him generous?  Because he's SOOO much richer than our owners, it's mad that we got a 'wonderkid' for 10m if it's all true.

3 minutes ago, paokfan said:

I would certainly hope so. At the end of the day, a team doesn't have to play well in order to avoid relegation, it just needs to play better that a few teams. And that I believe it is a realistic goal.

Did you know that Tzolis has been sold a false prospectus by his new club? The owners don't really want to be in this league and started preparing for relegation the moment promotion was secured. All connected with the self-funding model, you know.

5 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

I know an AEK supporter. He says PAOK are nearly as corrupt as Evangelos at Olympiakos. Is that true?

aek fans are just bitter. First of all, there is no way possible for someone to be as corrupt as Marinakis. He is the best of his time. Secondly, we have won 3 consecutive cup finals against aek and probably PAOK still gives them nightmares. 

The fact is that Athenian teams have always been the biggest sharks around. And in the last decade, PAOK, a northern team, has made its way up and is winning titles. Savvidis has spent over 100 million euros for PAOK since 2012, a huge amount by Greek football standards. And the reality is that is has paιd off. But they don't like it one bit in the southern Greece. 

14 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Can you recommend any good managers from Turkey?

I guess this is a joke because they call us Turks in order to tease us? If it is not a joke, I don't really know much about Turkish football.

30 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Sure thing, The initial photos I saw looked crazy to start with but when you watch the actual video it's not all that bad as it was reported.  I'm sure it was used as clickbait many places.  But it's something I always relate to PAOK as it was shocking at first sight.

What do you personally think of Tzolis?  We hear was considered a wonderkid in Greece, Is that true or hype? 

Also, we've paid for 15+ million of players from PAOK, why have they spent so little themselves?  Is Savvidis famous for taking money from the club, or do you find him generous?  Because he's SOOO much richer than our owners, it's mad that we got a 'wonderkid' for 10m if it's all true.

Tzolis! He only played for one season in the first squad (and a couple of matches in the previous season). He was amazing in the first half of the season. He was consistent, he was cheeky in a good way and his numbers were impressive. In fact, I think that almost no-one has ever achieved these numbers at his age in Greece. He was a pleasure to watch. In the second half of the season, he wasn't that good, but still decent. And that's probably because our coach wanted to teach him some lessons. He was using him as a right winger (which is not his strong suit), he wanted him to help more when the team was defending and he would scold him if he didn't, are some examples.

He is considered a wonderkid here in Greece. I have faith in this young man because he is hard-working and humble outside the pitch. I really hope he does well this season. 

Lastly, you hit a nerve there. Savvidis is the best thing that ever happened to PAOK. He loves the team and he has spent over 100 million euros for PAOK. He will even build a new stadium for the team at his own expense in the near future. He is generous but people have taken advantage of this over the years and he is now more cautious. BUT, this summer I really don't have any idea why we didn't spend any of the 25 million euros we earned as a club. And that is the reason why PAOK fans are nagging these days. Me included.

Edited by paokfan
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, paokfan said:

he wasn't that good, but still decent. And that's probably because our coach wanted to teach him some lessons. He was using him as a right winger (which is not his strong suit)

Ah ok, So, Who was getting being picked for the position that he's best in? I'm curious why the manager wouldn't play his best players in their best positions?

From what I've seen of him he has a lot of class in how he controls the ball and his mind is very quick to respond. Out of all our new signings most supporters have the highest hopes placed on him, but he's so young still.  However, he already looks quite a solid/strong player despite his age.

As with Rashica & Sargent who we've signed, there seems to be very passionate Greek, Kosovan & USA supporters that have been interested in our club, which is great.  I've seen so many comments on youtube videos that the club post, it makes you want to see these players succeed for their home nations as much as for ourselves.

18 minutes ago, paokfan said:

Lastly, you hit a nerve there. Savvidis is the best thing that ever happened to PAOK. He loves the team and he has spent over 100 million euros for PAOK. He will even build a new stadium for the team at his own expense in the near future

Wow that's incredible, he seems a very rich owner.  That's our biggest problem if you've not noticed - we are a self funding club so to spend on anything we need to bring that money in first.  Hence why this season has been really hard, so many new players and we're not even sure what formation to play so far.

Hopefully you stay around for a bit and bring us some Greek luck, it's nice hearing external opinions for sure!  🙂

1 hour ago, paokfan said:

The fact is that Athenian teams have always been the biggest sharks around

The biggest sharks around?  You seriously learned that terminology in translation from Greek to English?

Those are some adept translations. 

You're not Greek. 

32 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Ah ok, So, Who was getting being picked for the position that he's best in? I'm curious why the manager wouldn't play his best players in their best positions?

From what I've seen of him he has a lot of class in how he controls the ball and his mind is very quick to respond. Out of all our new signings most supporters have the highest hopes placed on him, but he's so young still.  However, he already looks quite a solid/strong player despite his age.

As with Rashica & Sargent who we've signed, there seems to be very passionate Greek, Kosovan & USA supporters that have been interested in our club, which is great.  I've seen so many comments on youtube videos that the club post, it makes you want to see these players succeed for their home nations as much as for ourselves.

Wow that's incredible, he seems a very rich owner.  That's our biggest problem if you've not noticed - we are a self funding club so to spend on anything we need to bring that money in first.  Hence why this season has been really hard, so many new players and we're not even sure what formation to play so far.

Hopefully you stay around for a bit and bring us some Greek luck, it's nice hearing external opinions for sure!  🙂

Usually, Tzolis swapped sides with our right winger Andrija Zivkovic, who helps a ton when the team is defending. Our left back last year was Rahman Baba, on a loan from Chelsea, who was a very attacking back and the winger on the left side would be covering his position in transition sometimes. Tzolis wasn't very keen on defending. But our last season's coach Pablo Garcia and Tzolis go way back. Tzolis is a player born and bred in PAOK and Garcia was PAOK's youth coach for many seasons. He actually cared about the boy and his development as a player more than his numbers. Fun fact, when Tzolis was playing for PAOK's youth squad, he was actually a striker at first. Pablo Garcia insisted on using him as a winger so that he improves on certain aspects of his game.

His body is strong. Hard work has paid off I guess. That is one of the reasons apart from talent that made him succeed last year in my opinion.  I really hope Tzolis makes us all proud. Not many PAOK bred players have made a significant career abroad. You probably haven't even heard of them (Stafylidis or Pelkas for example). And the fact that Giannoulis (best left back PAOK has ever had in my opinion) and Tzolis play in the top league probably in the world is something huge. At least for me.

I noticed that many Norwich fans comment on the club's self sufficient style of management. It can be frustrating at times but oh well. That's life sometimes. Regarding the formation, in my opinion Farke should stick to 4-2-3-1 that worked wonders last year. I don't like the 3-5-2. Especially with these center backs. But regardless, he should stick to one formation and a main starting eleven squad.

I hope with some Greek love we will see better results!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paokfan said:

There is pretty much no difference between the two. In the Greek language we use dots to show that the letters stand for something. That it is an acronym. There is no difference verbally, it is only used in written form.

i.c.

Which country makes the best kebab?

32 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

i.c.

Which country makes the best kebab?

I have only eaten Greek kebab, so I can't really have an opinion on the matter. 

16 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

And what do you think of John Travolta and Olivia, Newton and John as midfield options?

Well, they are kind of old so I don't think they would have enough stamina to play as midfielders.

7 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

The biggest sharks around?  You seriously learned that terminology in translation from Greek to English?

You're not Greek. 

I know it might be surprising to you, but some people can actually speak a foreign language extremely well, and knowing an idiom is not some kind of red flag - in fact, it's quite the opposite.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

You're not Greek. 

When I was learning German one of the main bits of advice I got was to watch as much German tv/films as I could, listen to the radio, read newspapers etc. 

I imagine the same goes for all languages and it’s very likely that someone would pick up idioms from doing that. It’s quite American style slang to talk about sharks in that way, so I can definitely see it being picked up from a film or something. It’s the opposite of a red flag to me too.