Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

POLL - Ranking our players in key positions

Ranking our players in key positions  

67 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. CHOOSE THREE - Who are our best central / defensive midfielders?

• Rupp
    • McLean
    • Gilmour
    • Sorenson
    • Normann
    • Pierre Lees-Melou
  2. 2. CHOOSE THREE - Who are our best two wide players and best striker? (wanted to ask separate Qs but couldn't)

• Wide - Rashica
    • Wide - Cantwell
    • Wide - Tzolis
    • Wide - Sargent
    • Wide - Dowell
    • Striker - Pukki
    • Striker - Sargent
    • Striker - Idah
  3. 3. CHOOSE THREE - Who are our best two centre backs, and best left back?

• Centre back - Gibson
    • Centre back - Hanley
    • Centre back - Kabak
    • Centre back - Omobamidele
    • Left back - Giannoulis
    • Left back - Williams

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/21 at 13:28

Looking at the team yesterday, I thought it was interesting that despite 9 changes from our starting line up on Saturday, you could argue that those 'second string' players were pretty much neck in neck with what would be our current first choice players. Other than Krul and Aarons (and potentially Kabak and Normann) it feels like it is anyone's game for a place in the starting line up at the minute.

But when looking at Liverpool, also having made 9 changes, the gap in quality from their first and second choice is very clear, I doubt too many of their line up from last night will be granted a start in the next PL game. For instance, Minamino scored two goals and was given MOTM, but will probably still be way behind Salah / Mane / Jota.

So I wanted to see if a poll would shed any more light on if there are any other standout picks within this NCFC team, or if Farke should really be banging his head against a wall trying to find that formula to the extent it currently feels like (to me at least). 

My ultimate question is to ask if you think we have we recruited in the right way when the lines between our first and second string teams are almost completely blurred. Strength in depth is great, but surely we still need to have a clear spine of players who prop up the rest of the side as is seen in every other side?

The central midfield place is the most interesting for me, we have brought in three new CMs, but have we significantly upgraded on what was there last year in terms of our starting 11? Would 1 or 2 buys with a clear increase in quality have been more precise? And the same question can be asked of our 3 new attacking players too. 

Of course, it is possible that all of these feelings are just a natural symptom of a really struggling side, and in a few more matchdays, with at least some kind of upturn in form, we will maybe start to see those standout players shining through. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

Fantastic vote idea, love it.

Left back was the hardest choice for me, the others were relatively easy decisions.  But if I had full options for RB and LB I'd play both Williams and Giannoulis and leave Aarons out.

Interesting to see this early that Normann and Kabak have high votes, and they're both players we've barely seen play - Makes you wonder how much they're the default options as we've seen mistakes and poor performances with the others.  Emperors new clothes etc.

Edited by Google Bot

39 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Fantastic vote idea, love it.

Left back was the hardest choice for me, the others were relatively easy decisions.  But if I had full options for RB and LB I'd play both Williams and Giannoulis and leave Aarons out.

Interesting to see this early that Normann and Kabak have high votes, and they're both players we've barely seen play - Makes you wonder how much they're the default options as we've seen mistakes and poor performances with the others.  Emperors new clothes etc.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of the options of Giannoulis and Williams as LB / RB, perhaps should've included that, though I do think Aarons would come out on top.

And agreed on Kabak and Normann, would be interesting to see how people would vote if they only knew their individual performances versus Watford and not the clamour surrounding the signings. However I expect both players will establish themselves soon, and I suppose most people recognise that they will both absolutely need to do that if there is any chance of us being competitive this season, so probably hope as much as it is expectation!

The one thing that's promising about our defense is how much Omobamadele has improved over the last season or so. If he continues to develop, he could easily become our first-choice central defender. Admittedly the bar doesn't seem particularly high right now though. 

This is tricky because having lost skipp and Buendia, and with Pukki ageing, we don’t have any stand out players just a squad that is much of a muchness. Decent but lacking physicality on the whole 

20 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Looking at the team yesterday, I thought it was interesting that despite 9 changes from our starting line up on Saturday, you could argue that those 'second string' players were pretty much neck in neck with what would be our current first choice players. Other than Krul and Aarons (and potentially Kabak and Normann) it feels like it is anyone's game for a place in the starting line up at the minute.

But when looking at Liverpool, also having made 9 changes, the gap in quality from their first and second choice is very clear, I doubt too many of their line up from last night will be granted a start in the next PL game. For instance, Minamino scored two goals and was given MOTM, but will probably still be way behind Salah / Mane / Jota.

So I wanted to see if a poll would shed any more light on if there are any other standout picks within this NCFC team, or if Farke should really be banging his head against a wall trying to find that formula to the extent it currently feels like (to me at least). 

My ultimate question is to ask if you think we have we recruited in the right way when the lines between our first and second string teams are almost completely blurred. Strength in depth is great, but surely we still need to have a clear spine of players who prop up the rest of the side as is seen in every other side?

The central midfield place is the most interesting for me, we have brought in three new CMs, but have we significantly upgraded on what was there last year in terms of our starting 11? Would 1 or 2 buys with a clear increase in quality have been more precise? And the same question can be asked of our 3 new attacking players too. 

Of course, it is possible that all of these feelings are just a natural symptom of a really struggling side, and in a few more matchdays, with at least some kind of upturn in form, we will maybe start to see those standout players shining through. 

My thoughts also.  

They should storm the championship next season.