Krul Mistress

O'Mo is our most reliable CB

I'm going to assume that Kabak was not fit on Saturday and therefore not judge him too harshly on that performance. Quite why we dropped O'Mo, who to my knowledge has never put a foot wrong, for a player that didn't seem to have any idea where to stand...you'd have to ask Daniel.

For my money, O'Mo should be a guaranteed starter. I was gutted for him at the weekend and I hope he was in Farke's office demanding an explanation. A huge part of our success in recent seasons has been the principle that it's your shirt to lose.

Hanley has looked poor and Kabak can't be fit. If it's three at the back then I'd drop Hanley. If it's two, I'd be tempted to give Gibson a go with O'Mo. The one thing I know is that there's no room for sentiment. Hanley has been poor and does not deserve to play on Satdee IMHO.

OTBC

Didn't think he was particularly impressive last night. 

We still haven't learned our lessons of the past when it comes to defending. 

Hanley will likely never be dropped and I was in the camp that he shouldn't be. However, he seems to be struggling big time in this league. Again. We shall see. 

The defence has been really disappointing so far. Especially after a season where we were much tighter - it seems just so easy to score against us and the defence look like they've never played with each other before.

The switch to 3 at the back didnt seem to lead to any greater protection of our goal.

Kabak I thought was dog****e on Saturday. I'd like to believe this was a sub-par performance as he wasnt fit as you say - but if thats the case maybe he'd have benefitted from a run-out last night for the minutes. Against Liverpool might well have been an incentive too.

Omobamidele has done well in every game, but he is young and inexperienced and it is hard to know how much he needs an experienced head next to him. I would worry about him playing alongside Kabak. 

We also have plenty of competition now if playing 2 at the back. When you're partnering a rookie to see home a title winning season in the absence of any team-mates its all positive. Who is to say what the dynamic is now, with two young players vying to be in the line-up ahead of the old pro's.

Omo could yet make a big mistake or have a bad game and get slaughtered the way Idah is at present and this could see a huge drop in form and confidence.

Strange neither Kabak or Zimm were given a run last night, suggesting Zimm, talismanic though he is is firmly 5th choice, and possibly that Hanley, as Captain, is undroppable.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no apostrophe after the O in his name, unless you did in on purpose.

To be sure his mother is Irish, but the surname is from his Nigerian father.

Agreed, both Omobimadele and Kabak would seem to be the future and probably sooner rather than later, but they need an old head beside them for now, imo. Especially if we play just two at the back. 

It's a big ask to pitch two youngsters together into a PL season though, admittedly Kabak had good experience at Liverpool.

The most important thing for me is to get a settled back line. There seems to have been overmuch chopping and changing of late. Partnerships and understanding at the back are probably the most important when it comes to cementing a preferred line up.

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Kabak I thought was dog****e on Saturday. I'd like to believe this was a sub-par performance as he wasnt fit as you say - but if thats the case maybe he'd have benefitted from a run-out last night for the minutes. Against Liverpool might well have been an incentive too.

Omo could yet make a big mistake or have a bad game and get slaughtered the way Idah is at present and this could see a huge drop in form and confidence.

Strange neither Kabak or Zimm were given a run last night, suggesting Zimm, talismanic though he is is firmly 5th choice, and possibly that Hanley, as Captain, is undroppable.

D0g**** is the word that came to mind for Kabak's performance for me too. 

While I take your point, are we going to not play someone that hasn't put a foot wrong just in case he does?

I believe Zimbo is injured...

The sad fact is that none of our centre halves are Premier League standard. Andrew O will be but that's a year away not now. 

Without Emi we are a Championship team playing in the Premier League and it's not going to end well. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, Krul Mistress said:

D0g**** is the word that came to mind for Kabak's performance for me too. 

While I take your point, are we going to not play someone that hasn't put a foot wrong just in case he does?

I believe Zimbo is injured...

My point is just that so far we are basing his ability on a very small sample. And also he probably needs the right guidance on and off the pitch when he does eventually make a mistake or have a bad game/dip in form. I think who partners him is important. So far it's exclusively been Hanley?

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no apostrophe after the O in his name, unless you did in on purpose.

To be sure his mother is Irish, but the surname is from his Nigerian father.

Agreed, both Omobimadele and Kabak would seem to be the future and probably sooner rather than later, but they need an old head beside them for now, imo. Especially if we play just two at the back. 

It's a big ask to pitch two youngsters together into a PL season though, admittedly Kabak had good experience at Liverpool.

The most important thing for me is to get a settled back line. There seems to have been overmuch chopping and changing of late. Partnerships and understanding at the back are probably the most important when it comes to cementing a preferred line up.

I did do it on purpose. It made me chuckle.

Just FYI you have spelt his name wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krul Mistress said:

I did do it on purpose. It made me chuckle.

Just FYI you have spelt his name wrong.

And not on purpose.

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

My point is just that so far we are basing his ability on a very small sample. And also he probably needs the right guidance on and off the pitch when he does eventually make a mistake or have a bad game/dip in form. I think who partners him is important. So far it's exclusively been Hanley?

That's why I said I'd start him with Gibson. Left/Right combo, Gibson the senior player. But for me O'Mo has to start. Highest ceiling and done what's been asked of him so far.

Who would you start Satdee in a 2 and a 3?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

That's why I said I'd start him with Gibson. Left/Right combo, Gibson the senior player. But for me O'Mo has to start. Highest ceiling and done what's been asked of him so far.

Who would you start Satdee in a 2 and a 3?

The consensus is that Hanley deserves to be "rested," although we all love GH.

Those centre back positions would then seem to be constantly changing personnel, musical chairs in the heart of defence, not good. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

I don't think it really matters who we play at the back until Farke stops instructing them to play suicidal balls, tippy tappy all the time and that zonal is just for set pieces and not general play.  Until then you might as well play me at the back.

16 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

The Watford striker that won the header between Kabak and Hanley is 5' 9".

I think Origi is only 5cm taller who beat Gibson and Hanley. All the talk of bigger stronger players doesn’t solve anything when you ask players to make decisions throughout a game which they get wrong far too often which is what is required with zonal marking. Never mind taller, we need smarter CB’s if we are to make zonal work.. in the meantime we need to revert to marking players not spaces

2 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The defence has been really disappointing so far. Especially after a season where we were much tighter - it seems just so easy to score against us and the defence look like they've never played with each other before.

The switch to 3 at the back didnt seem to lead to any greater protection of our goal.

Omobamidele has done well in every game, but he is young and inexperienced and it is hard to know how much he needs an experienced head next to him. I would worry about him playing alongside Kabak. 

We also have plenty of competition now if playing 2 at the back. When you're partnering a rookie to see home a title winning season in the absence of any team-mates its all positive. Who is to say what the dynamic is now, with two young players vying to be in the line-up ahead of the old pro's.

Not strange at all re Zimmermann. He's injured at the moment - this has been reported multiple times recently. 

The only combination still to try is Gibson and Kabak. It might work, it might not. All I know is that Hanley's form seems to be getting worse on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not strange at all re Zimmermann. He's injured at the moment - this has been reported multiple times recently. 

Furry ****. Im not as up to date with stuff like this as I used to be.

I know Hanley is the captain, but Zimbo has always struck me as the bigger leader

36 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The only combination still to try is Gibson and Kabak. It might work, it might not. All I know is that Hanley's form seems to be getting worse on a weekly basis.

Kabak had better be better than last time. Thats the worst defensive debut I've seen since Michael Turner (or perhaps Woodgate at Real) https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/remembering-jonathan-woodgates-calamitous-real-madrid-debut/

3 hours ago, Krul Mistress said:

The Watford striker that won the header between Kabak and Hanley is 5' 9".

He looked taller when he did his somersault 

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hanley will likely never be dropped and I was in the camp that he shouldn't be. However, he seems to be struggling big time in this league. Again. We shall see. 

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

He was pretty grim last night but no worse than the other 2

Hanley is the poor mans Duncan Forbes all heart little brain

7 million for a goalkeeper no better than Barden

This season could be the turning point in our history 

January if we are down and out expect mass exodus