1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Why would it reduce capacity? As an example Dortmunds stadium is 80k for domestic matches when the safe standing is allowed, but only 65k for internationals when the seats are used. Also had the lower Barclay stand anyway so to facilitate it to be done properly seems a good idea to me 

It won't, he doesn't understand that seats are locked up so it isn't 1 seat = 1 fan when safe standing is in effect.

I suspect he thinks a safe standing seat has one occupant who can pull the seat down at any time, which of course isn't the case. Locked up when area is designated standing, unlocked when designated seating. 

It is 1.8 standing fans per 1 safe standing seat.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It won't, he doesn't understand that seats are locked up so it isn't 1 seat = 1 fan when safe standing is in effect.

I suspect he thinks a safe standing seat has one occupant who can pull the seat down at any time, which of course isn't the case. Locked up when area is designated standing, unlocked when designated seating. 

It is 1.8 standing fans per 1 safe standing seat.

Pretty sure it says in the articles about the trial period that the seats are not allowed to be locked in the up position.

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

Pretty sure it says in the articles about the trial period that the seats are not allowed to be locked in the up position.

The criteria for clubs

Clubs that want to take part in the scheme need to fulfil a number of criteria which the SGSA says includes:

• Having seats with barriers/independent barriers - which must be in both home and away sections
  • Fans must be able to sit or stand in the licensed area
  • Seats cannot be locked in the 'up' or 'down' position and there must be one seat/space per person
  • The licensed standing areas must not impact the viewing standards of other fans, including disabled fans
  • There must be a code of conduct in place for fans in the licensed standing area

Yes it looks like these criteria (especially the first 3) will deter a lot of clubs. It doesn't say whether the above is just for the trial period or it will be the way forward.

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Where is the finance coming from to make it happen at Carrow Road as rail seats do not come cheap and it will reduce capacity to some degree ?

As a long term investment it works because rails don't need replacing whereas seats do. I think the official document on the subject suggests that you get your money back in ten years. 

In general, you get three for two on rail standing as opposed to seating. 

The Lower Barclay seems perfect for this as so many people stand already. It would allow more people in and improve the atmosphere. 

I really don't understand objections to this. No one will be forced to stand if they don't want to. 

• Like 1

I used to love standing in the sixties and seventies the atmosphere was terrific, but now as an old boy need to sit as standing all that time would be to much , guess it could work in the lower Barclay for  you youngsters , but will never be like it was years ago . 

• Like 1

Can we not put a temporary stand ... stand in front of the hotel in the corner? They're not THAT expensive. The board can justify anything above 500 capacity.

Edited by Michael Starr

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

As a long term investment it works because rails don't need replacing whereas seats do. I think the official document on the subject suggests that you get your money back in ten years. 

In general, you get three for two on rail standing as opposed to seating. 

The Lower Barclay seems perfect for this as so many people stand already. It would allow more people in and improve the atmosphere. 

I really don't understand objections to this. No one will be forced to stand if they don't want to. 

It’s a no brainier and always has been since a safe system became available to deliver it. I can’t understand the objections either, this subject has been a discussed many times on here and there always seemed to be so many against, really can’t work that one out.

The other huge benefit here is the freeing of the diaphragm and the potential for more harmonious BOOING. You don’t see many choirs sitting down. 

• Like 1

I'd much prefer if the club did a trial with stadium seats in the Lower Barclay and the away end, like those fitted to white knuckle rides akin to the ones used at Alton Towers and other theme parks.....Once you sit down a bar locks over restraining you and doesn't release until the half-time whistle's blown....If you have an unexpected problem or emergency, you attract the attention of a steward who will assist you then eject you anyway for being a damn nuisance.....If you don't return to your seat from the loo and concourse before restart and the second half commences and the bar is locked over your seat - you're then immediately ejected from the stadium for once again, being a damn nuisance.....That'll stop the yo-yo up an' downers and before 40 minutes gotta get nourishment numbskulls getting in the way of the club's decent supporters and their view of the game.....

Interesting paragraph taken from the minutes of the OSP meeting held on 16th September for those who think that safe standing will increase capacity.

Panel asked about safe standing The club confirmed it is currently looking into the most likely / suitable areas of the stadium along with the potential cost of adapting the selected areas. Panel asked if the introduction of safe standing would change the attendance and asked the club to share how the discussions progress in future.

GP confirmed attendance will stay the same it will just allow those sitting down to stand up. When a plan is formed and if this goes ahead we will share this.

40 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Interesting paragraph taken from the minutes of the OSP meeting held on 16th September for those who think that safe standing will increase capacity.

Panel asked about safe standing The club confirmed it is currently looking into the most likely / suitable areas of the stadium along with the potential cost of adapting the selected areas. Panel asked if the introduction of safe standing would change the attendance and asked the club to share how the discussions progress in future.

GP confirmed attendance will stay the same it will just allow those sitting down to stand up. When a plan is formed and if this goes ahead we will share this.

Thanks @TIL 1010. I'm not really sure why Germany can get 3 for 2 on safe standing when we can't here, but as that clearly is the case at the moment then we need to wait till the rules are relaxed. In my mind the only reason for doing this is a much needed increase in capacity. 

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thanks @TIL 1010. I'm not really sure why Germany can get 3 for 2 on safe standing when we can't here, but as that clearly is the case at the moment then we need to wait till the rules are relaxed. In my mind the only reason for doing this is a much needed increase in capacity. 

I expect it's partly for security and possibly just for the trial - they'll know who is sitting/standing where using the existing seating plans and ticketing arrangements. Hopefully, if it goes ahead - they can renumber the standing 'spaces' and get more people in. And if it's then permanent, there's no risk in re-doing the ticketing plans and upping season ticket numbers.

Amazing how people survive live music shows without 'safe' standing.  What a load of balls, Rip the sits out and let us in.

Previous problems were due to the bars in front of the supporters, and the mismanagement of people outside the ground. 

Just because people stand doesn't mean they have to be penned in like animals, but if it's felt necessary to hold them in, then create a system so that those front bars can slowly descend into the ground in case of emergencies.