Where is the finance coming from to make it happen at Carrow Road as rail seats do not come cheap and it will reduce capacity to some degree ?

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Where is the finance coming from to make it happen at Carrow Road as rail seats do not come cheap and it will reduce capacity to some degree ?

Stadiums in Germany (where rail seats are common) have higher capacity for domestic matches (seating and standing) than international matches (seating only).

Clubs have to register interest in October.

Increase in capacity will mean that finance will come from gate receipts.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Stadiums in Germany (where rail seats are common) have higher capacity for domestic matches (seating and standing) than international matches (seating only).

Clubs have to register interest in October.

Increase in capacity will mean that finance will come from gate receipts.

Each rail seat takes up more room than our current seating unless you alter the concrete steps our seats are fixed to.

Having been in rail seats at the new Spurs stadium the rows between seats are wider..

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

Thinking about this we would have to do the entire Lower Barclay as if only half of it is done those still seated will have a restricted view. I haven't been in said stand for years so not sure of the age profile and whether they are likely to take kindly to standing? Also a bit of a nightmare if you have young children with you as they won't be able to see.

It seems relocating potentially a lot of fans would be required also a lot of hassle for an end result of a lower capacity, the cost and less revenue.

A lower capacity also makes extending the City Stand extremely challenging.

Would be easier to move to a new stadium!

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I doubt we’d ever consider it but maybe sell more players? 

A reduction in capacity?

I've seen this mentioned a lot before and don't know what it's based upon.

Full information in the paperback:

"Stand Up, Sit Down ... A Choice to Watch Football."

Auth. Peter Caton. Pub. Matador.

At over three hundred pages, it covers the matter fully.

However, the most economical way and that with the least upheaval at Carrow Road would seem to be installing the facility along with a reconstruction of the Main Stand (my hobby-horse.)

As we seem to have been discussing this event for the most part of the last twenty years,  the choice of standing at games would seem to be some time away for City fans.

Btw, interesting fact from that paperback:

Estimated home fans on average standing throughout the whole game at Carrow Road = 2, 500.

City fans at away grounds? 95% stand throughout. 

@ 2011 though. Higher, lower? Good game.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Brilliant to see this happening and should have happened a long time ago. Have seen so many people objecting to it, many on here in the past, has always been an obvious thing to do if it can be done safely, which (surprise surprise) it appears it can.

• Like 1

Great idea and standing areas if done correctly should allow more fans in to the ground. Will improve the sterile atmosphere in most grounds and hopefully reduce the cost to working people.

If you don't want to stand then sit.

Only issue would be moving people in the areas that are effected if they did not want to stand.

Lower Barclay blocks A, B & C would be my first areas to look at and maybe the Snakepit.

Fans been asking for this to come back for years.

If you stand I assume the tickets will be cheaper?......Will there be stewarding to dress you off by size like a Wedding photographer or an RSM....shortest at the front rows and lanky's in the rear rows?.... Will non-flammable standy on milk crates be allowed in the stadium?.....

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Each rail seat takes up more room than our current seating unless you alter the concrete steps our seats are fixed to.

Having been in rail seats at the new Spurs stadium the rows between seats are wider..

For what it's worth I think a lot of people clamouring for this will be disappointed. 

It won't reduce prices because the infrastructure required is probably more than with current plastic seating.  I've seen fans assume that capacities increase, but as you say, if anything they'll go down. 

It won't be like the old days where you can move about wherever you want, you'll still get a ticket for one space and one space only.  This means the assumption that the atmosphere will be improved is also unlikely immediately, as you'll as likely be stood next to a miserable old git rather than a headstrong vocal youngster!  It will still take a few seasons for people to regroup by swapping their season tickets.  If anything it will probably reduce the atmosphere on the short term.  

So watch wht you wish for, you'll probably get it eventually but it will take a few seasons for it to manifest.

• Like 4

The old days of crowding shoulder to shoulder on the terraces has gone forever. Those who think safe standing will replicate what we had in the sixties is going to be sadly disappointed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

For what it's worth I think a lot of people clamouring for this will be disappointed. 

It won't reduce prices because the infrastructure required is probably more than with current plastic seating.  I've seen fans assume that capacities increase, but as you say, if anything they'll go down. 

It won't be like the old days where you can move about wherever you want, you'll still get a ticket for one space and one space only.  This means the assumption that the atmosphere will be improved is also unlikely immediately, as you'll as likely be stood next to a miserable old git rather than a headstrong vocal youngster!  It will still take a few seasons for people to regroup by swapping their season tickets.  If anything it will probably reduce the atmosphere on the short term.  

So watch wht you wish for, you'll probably get it eventually but it will take a few seasons for it to manifest.

This 👍

31 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The old days of crowding shoulder to shoulder on the terraces has gone forever. Those who think safe standing will replicate what we had in the sixties is going to be sadly disappointed.

Yup I remember those times well. Standing at Upton Park in the cup , half crushed to death, cant see 2/3rds of the pitch , “liquid”  running down the steps and over your shoes . 
Oh how I miss those days . 🤣

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Haha 1

Yup will be great, sign up then find out your standing behind someone 6ft 5 and stuck there for the rest of the season.

A real dumbass idea but I guess some will like it.

Mind you how things are going at the moment a restricted view perch seems quite attractive.

• Haha 1

I think it’s unlikely the club will sign up to something that both a) costs a vast amount and then b) reduces income…. Seems sort of counterintuitive. Like spending money on an extension that’s so crap it lowers the sell on value when your planing to sell up.

Not to say it won’t happen, I just expect them to look at this seriously and will know the exact implications of what it would do for capacity and how long it would take to pay itself back.

For those complaining about being stuck behind someone, I mean that’s going to be your reality anyway in the Barclay D and E block, they already do stand. Sort of why I think the club might not jump onboard and simply let people keep doing it and police it less.

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why would it reduce capacity? As an example Dortmunds stadium is 80k for domestic matches when the safe standing is allowed, but only 65k for internationals when the seats are used. Also had the lower Barclay stand anyway so to facilitate it to be done properly seems a good idea to me 

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Mainly because whatever that type of standing offered in terms of atmosphere, you could not describe it as ‘safe’

33 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Why would it reduce capacity? As an example Dortmunds stadium is 80k for domestic matches when the safe standing is allowed, but only 65k for internationals when the seats are used. Also had the lower Barclay stand anyway so to facilitate it to be done properly seems a good idea to me 

This... Absolutely no idea why it would reduce capacity as it doesn't in Germany.. it does the opposite. 

If you don't wish to stand don't... Be great for those fans that want to. You can reduce prices and increase capacity and make more money. Most fans I reckon would welcomes this move....

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Mainly because whatever that type of standing offered in terms of atmosphere, you could not describe it as ‘safe’

Actually most people standing in seating areas is not safe..

Lets be honest...people have been standing in the lower barclay for years already. I dont see that this would create a whole lot of difference,its still people standing in rows and hardly a return to anything resembling the old terracing which did create the atmosphere

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Of course it won't reduce the capacity.

The "seat" is locked up, for each rail seat = 1.8 fans standing. The seat exists for competitions which don't allow standing, e.g. if we qualify for Europe, or to give us the option to be flexible with capacity.

So 1000 rail seats = 1000 fans if seats down, 1800 fans if seats up.

As for the cost, it will be cheaper than knocking down and rebuilding the city stand.

I should imagine if we do it as a club we'll start with just rows D & E in the Barclay Lower, sort of like a hardcore / ultras section?