Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

New signings

So, we are told they need time to adjust to the English game, we are told they need time to gel with their new team mates. We are told Normann and Kabak especially will need more time as they were signed on the last weekend of the window......... So why the hell were they not played last night??? 

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

😇😉👍

I think you are the one looking stupid on a thread worthy of discussion.

42 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

So, we are told they need time to adjust to the English game, we are told they need time to gel with their new team mates. We are told Normann and Kabak especially will need more time as they were signed on the last weekend of the window......... So why the hell were they not played last night??? 

I have to say when the team was announced my thought was that these two players in particular had the ideal opportunity to gain minutes on the pitch against not the strongest of Liverpool sides. Dowell and Sorenson were another pair who have not figured much at all this season so the same applied to them.

• Like 1

All if buts and maybe’s but there is a feeling our strongest 11 stood a good chance against this Liverpool C team and apart from the whole gelling argument it would have relieved some pressure in players and manager to a sneaked a win. Did we really need to see what Rupp offers at DCM again or that Mumba is decent backup for Aaron’s etc. Think the game was bottled even before kick off as playing fringe gives a get out of jail card.

55 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think you are the one looking stupid on a thread worthy of discussion.

Compared to him , we are all pretty smart, even you .😇👍😉

My opinion was we should of played our best 11 and tried to build momentum. Let’s face it they aren’t playing twice a week like they were in the championship so I won’t have any of this nonsense that they have too much of a work load and need rest. 

6 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

My opinion was we should of played our best 11 and tried to build momentum. Let’s face it they aren’t playing twice a week like they were in the championship so I won’t have any of this nonsense that they have too much of a work load and need rest. 

Genuine question, what is our best XI? That's not me being funny, I honestly don't know? And I don't think Farke does either. I totally agree that we should put out our best team in cup matches as we're not playing as many games as last season (and I've never bought the 'can't play twice in a week' argument anyway), but honestly I've got no idea what our best team/system is. Krul, Aarons, Normann, Pukki... the other 7 places seem up for grabs though. 

But back to the OPs point, it is odd that players supposedly need game time but then they're not involved in a 'free hit' cup match. Do they need the minutes to build up match fitness, or just to integrate themselves into the team? Either way you would've thought they could have had some involvement last night and still be fresh enough for the weekend

Well, in the case of Normann and Sargent they both have minor injuries as confirmed after, nothing serious but not to be risked. That’s the exact point. Imagine we played either of those two, lost anyway and then they turned a niggle into a full blow injury and miss league games… ‘OH HOW NAIVE OF DANIEL IT WAS ONLY A CUP GAME’. Can’t risk it I’m afraid. 

That said, I was hopeful of Kabak and Sorrenson getting minutes and was quite disappointed about that.

• Like 1

For those saying our first XI should have played and might have won - have a look at the team sheet again, it virtually WAS our first XI aside of Idah being given the chance ahead of Pukki, Gunn for Krul, and Aarons missing

Edited by AJ

There certainly isn't an obvious first choice eleven at the moment. Early in the summer didn't Webber suggest our recruitment would focus on a higher quality core of 15 or 16 players (a la Burnley) and then take measures to minimise injuries. Then later in the window Daniel talked about needing two options for each position. Was there a change of policy? We seem to have a stronger squad. I would have thought a stronger first eleven too, whoever they are. Maybe it will start to come together soon. 👃

1 hour ago, Hand of Theo said:

Genuine question, what is our best XI? That's not me being funny, I honestly don't know? And I don't think Farke does either. I totally agree that we should put out our best team in cup matches as we're not playing as many games as last season (and I've never bought the 'can't play twice in a week' argument anyway), but honestly I've got no idea what our best team/system is. Krul, Aarons, Normann, Pukki... the other 7 places seem up for grabs though. 

But back to the OPs point, it is odd that players supposedly need game time but then they're not involved in a 'free hit' cup match. Do they need the minutes to build up match fitness, or just to integrate themselves into the team? Either way you would've thought they could have had some involvement last night and still be fresh enough for the weekend

I don’t think I could tell you our best 11 I can tell you the one i would go with but that is just my opinion and I’m not paid to pick the team. Who ever they play I just want to see more pressing and endeavour I’d rather go for it and lose 3-2 than watch this dross all season 

50 minutes ago, AJ said:

For those saying our first XI should have played and might have won - have a look at the team sheet again, it virtually WAS our first XI aside of Idah being given the chance ahead of Pukki, Gunn for Krul, and Aarons missing

Krul, Aarons, Kabak, Normann, Rashica, Pukki all make it into my strongest 11 on paper so it was by no means what I would view as our first 11 

I think the problem is the team has to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Presently, we have good players but as a team are less than the sum of its parts. 

We need some stability and the team to gel. Too many new faces to integrate.

1 hour ago, Hand of Theo said:

I genuinely don’t know either. But this is why we’re debating the base formation so much as it isn’t clear what’s going to get the best results.

Its a bit surprising Cantwell has come out of the team so quickly, again looks to be a function of shape. 

Could someone please explain why we have paid 'club record fees' (more or less) for TWO players who both play in the same position? Both are naturally right footed yet Farke plays both in wide left sided attacking roles. Fair enough to sign one but why two? 

Neither appears to offer anything different to the other. Seems to me like we could have had c£9M to spend elsewhere had we only bought one of RashIca OR Tzolis.

I think they gambled on our defence being fine - seen in pulling out of Ajer- and so they then went for fast counter attacking players in. Then the **** hit the fan and there is no plan B 

55 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

seen in pulling out of Ajer- and

......we got kabak. Which as we weren't getting ajer on loan to buy  deal freed up a few quid which spent on either  Tzolis  or Rashica....whichever you prefer not to prefer. 

The biggest issue as always is the daft transfer window, surely open it in May and close it in July, ten weeks is long enough to get transfers done then at least the squad is done prior to any season kick off!

At least we have removed another excuse that our players haven't had game time and a chance to gel. From his selection I can only assume Farke thinks they are all ready to go.

Strange that yet another defensive option was considered though, which suggests to me he still doesn't know which way to go.

It's funny how the default position of most fans regarding a new signing, particularly with ones from abroad, is instant belief they are top quality players that will, without doubt, enhance the squad. Despite knowing little about the player! Not exclusive to Norwich fans btw, this is a general football fan reaction. 

Upon reflection, albeit early,  the signings made this summer are not too dissimilar to our last EPL summer recruitment. In that there's a very high level of risk associated with most of them. 

If one dived a bit deeper and applied rational thought, the excitement surrounding our summer business should've been brought down a notch, or two.

Little experience (Tzolis, Gilmour). Experience in leagues well below the standard of the EPL (PLM, Normann). Players rejected by EPL teams (Normann, Kabak, Gunn). Players coming in on the back of a relegation (Rashica, Sargent)......

Of course in some instances above, there's valid mitigation. But none of the above is false - and was there for all to see, including me, from the start. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

Kabak has played once since April so I'm not shocked they aren't playing him twice in 3 days.

Saying that he shouldn't need as long to adjust as he's had half a season playing in the Premier League already.

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Little experience (Tzolis, Gilmour). Experience in leagues well below the standard of the EPL (PLM). Players rejected by EPL teams (Normann, Kabak, Gunn). Players coming in on the back of a relegation (Rashica, Sargent). 

I'm ok with players being rejected by Liverpool showing up here. 

I do get your point but I think we have to live with the fact that signing proven Premier League talent is highly difficult for us. So we have to hope we can spot the players who have ability to step up. The improvement (for me) is the fact we've not tried to do it all loans so we've at least signed players other clubs wanted to keep- I'm sure Werder wanted to keep Rashica and Sargent for example.

I think, to a certain extent, Normann improves us by default. My view is he can't be a worse defensive midfielder than what we already have as we don't really have anyone. Kabak I think its understandable to be optimistic about- yes Liverpool decided not to sign him but he looked pretty decent for them in his short spell. 

Farke himself has repeatedly said that they'd have to take risks in the transfer market. 

It's too early to say at this stage whether they'll come off. 

On 22/09/2021 at 12:22, AJ said:

I'm what world is a starting xi including Gunn, Rupp and Idah our strongest side??? 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm ok with players being rejected by Liverpool showing up here. 

I do get your point but I think we have to live with the fact that signing proven Premier League talent is highly difficult for us. So we have to hope we can spot the players who have ability to step up. The improvement (for me) is the fact we've not tried to do it all loans so we've at least signed players other clubs wanted to keep- I'm sure Werder wanted to keep Rashica and Sargent for example.

I think, to a certain extent, Normann improves us by default. My view is he can't be a worse defensive midfielder than what we already have as we don't really have anyone. Kabak I think its understandable to be optimistic about- yes Liverpool decided not to sign him but he looked pretty decent for them in his short spell. 

Yeah of course, in the main, me too. Although there's always the argument that if they can't cut it at a top club with all the quality around them, they're likely to struggle even more at a lesser club at the same level, such as Norwich. I don't think this is the case with Kabak, though. He think he did well there - but fact is, they didn't want him permanently. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto