Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

In Defence of Farke

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

"Cuckoo cuckoo".......calling out from cuckoo land here..........we did it last time - I would say don't under-estimate what farke can do - we were close to getting something against Leicester and away at Arsenal.  I'm not saying we will win, but a fighting draw would be a huge bonus and break this losing spell and of course getting us a point on the board.

Not going to happen Lakey , I don't have a crystal ball and I am not claiming to have one. But the confidence has gone and one touch of brilliance from Everton... = back to square one imho

49 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yup McCarthy did a great job down the road. Consistently keeping Ip**** in the Prem. Oh hang on!!!

My point is he knows how to organise a defence and to maximise his resources. I'm not saying he's a better coach than Farke, he probably wouldn;t have got us to the premier league in the first place but right now, he would have this team doing better because they would at least be organised, hard to break down and all know their defenive systems and roles. This is our biggest single weakness at the moment. And before you say it i'm not adviocating going long ball or completely changing our style of play but we need someone who can work with the back 6 to get them doing the basis properly. I honestly think we are playing a zonal defensive system at all times and whilst i apprevciate that all defenive systems are "zonal" to a degree (because thats what keeping your shape is all about) sometimes you need to be attacking the ball and also tracking/marking the players.

1 minute ago, ROBFLECK said:

Not going to happen Lakey , I don't have a crystal ball and I am not claiming to have one. But the confidence has gone and one touch of brilliance from Everton... = back to square one imho

I Agree we don't look anything at the moment Cannot Score And let goals in for fun 

The midfield are miles away on the press

our Defenders are marking zones instead on players that are free

Strikers not getting Service 

Really has gone down hill very quickly 

6 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

This is a bit of a tin hat post but I think it's important to step back sometimes and reflect on the bigger picture, rather than on a game-by-game basis.

1) Starting from the beginning, preseason went probably as bad as it could have gone. The covid outbreak wiped out half of our squad and resulted in half of our friendlies being cancelled. This was at a time when the new signings were meant to be settling in and getting to know each other and the new system that DF wanted to play. That setback left us in disarray and already at even more of a disadvantage to the other wealthy PL clubs.

The problem I have with this is that I got slaughtered in mid-July on here when I suggested that we were doing our business too late, needed more players through the door for the start of July, people were insistent that players only needed a couple of weeks to integrate.

And now the late the excuse being used is that he players haven't had enough time to settle in and get to know each other. 

See, I actually agree with this point, but I see it as more of a failure to do our most important pieces of business early (DM and CB). 

And surely Webber is culpable for that.

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I Agree we don't look anything at the moment Cannot Score And let goals in for fun 

The midfield are miles away on the press

our Defenders are marking zones instead on players that are free

Strikers not getting Service 

Really has gone down hill very quickly 

One **** of light is that Everton have an injury crisis with their forward line and are coming in off the back of 2 poor results. This could be an opportunity to park the bus and grind out an ugly point to get something started although not easy to do that unless you can avoid making errors for 90 minutes. 

After that we have Burnley who have not won at home for 15 games. So thats either "along come Norwich" or an opportunity as well whichever way you look at it. We just need to get something from these two games to try and build on.

2) Our opening fixtures were horrendous and we were sure to lose any confidence/momentum gained from our Championship winning season, even if we had a decent preseason. Instead, we had a half fit team who barely knew each other vs some of the best teams in the world. There was only going to be one outcome and taking a hammering is always going to knock the confidence. 

Arsenal finished 8th last season, and 8th the season before that, I don't think they can claim to have a single world class player and aren't even in European competition this season, it has been 6 years since they were in the Champions League.

They are merely an upper mid-table side, and don't deserve the label you've just given them.

It applies to Liverpool and Man City, true. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The problem I have with this is that I got slaughtered in mid-July on here when I suggested that we were doing our business too late, needed more players through the door for the start of July, people were insistent that players only needed a couple of weeks to integrate.

And now the late the excuse being used is that he players haven't had enough time to settle in and get to know each other. 

See, I actually agree with this point, but I see it as more of a failure to do our most important pieces of business early (DM and CB). 

And surely Webber is culpable for that.

I've always agreed with you on this. I also got told "Webber says we have to be patient" blah blah blah when we knew we were promoted in April to be honest. The absolute priority should have been a center back and  Skipp replacement through the door as early as possible in the summer. With Ajer we should have just paid the extra and we would have got him ahead of Brentford. Instead we have brought in 2 players (who may turn out to be good) who are half fit who we are trying to integrate into a team that has already lost 4 games and has diminished confidence. This has been a major c**k up. 

And even if you accept that Normann coming in so late was unavoidable why will he not play the one defensive midfielder we have at the club who has impressed every time he's played for us regardless of the position?

Not rocket science is it. Get the back 6 or 7 solid and well drilled and then build from there.

• Like 3

4) A lot has been made of the formations and team selections this season but I have to say that DF can pick any formation and we'd still lose if the players make such basic errors three times a game. 

Basic conventional wisdom that a settled defence will concede fewer goals and make fewer mistakes, Man City improved massively when Guardiola decided what his best back four was in the second half of the season.

Can't help but Farke should have more idea what his best XI is than he does, and at very least he needed to get his back 4/5 settled (one argument for having paid extra for Ajer to get him in through the door, I think that was a mistake in hindsight). 

48 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Biggest problem is lack of confidence, in EVERYTHING   that we do, the only way to deal with that is by getting a good result, then you have something to build on, at the moment we are sitting on sand ( but not on the beach ) !

How does the lack of pie filling come from a lack of confidence? 

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

One **** of light is that Everton have an injury crisis with their forward line and are coming in off the back of 2 poor results. This could be an opportunity to park the bus and grind out an ugly point to get something started although not easy to do that unless you can avoid making errors for 90 minutes. 

After that we have Burnley who have not won at home for 15 games. So thats either "along come Norwich" or an opportunity as well whichever way you look at it. We just need to get something from these two games to try and build on.

Jim i understand but the team looks so lost 

hardly string a pass together playing people into danger then we lose the ball 

we just look Terrible in every area 

32 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

How does the lack of pie filling come from a lack of confidence? 

Culinary confidence is in the essence of a pie

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Actually I would argue Farke isn’t the problem. The recruitment was. You don’t sell your star player on promotion and succeed when your budget means you can only spend under the average in the division to replace them. We have managed to go into this season with a worse XI but better squad - criminal. But not Farke’s fault - for the second time he has been sent into battle without a gun - the Ajer decision sums it up. He’s proving an astute signing which we ducked out of 

Its clear we are making too many defensive mistakes, so I would argue the loss of Skipp outweighs the loss of Emi. Emi wasn't outstanding the last time we were in the Prem.

But Skipp just sat in front of the defence last season. His reading of the game was second to none and his composure was reassuring.

Who is protecting our fragile CB's now? No-one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Biggest problem is lack of confidence, in EVERYTHING  that we do

Yup, this is why we appear to be having no luck.  Too many players giving up runs and hanging arms in desperation, just inches away from getting their foot on the ball etc.  Confidence buys you the extra drive, which gives you that extra inch.

If only we could see the parallels if Tzolis netted that pen, and we took our other chances - Same system, same players but probably a whole different zest to them perhaps?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Felixfan said:

We have no players of Premier league quality. It’s that simple.

If that was true it would be simple, but it isn't and it isn't.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Basic conventional wisdom that a settled defence will concede fewer goals and make fewer mistakes, Man City improved massively when Guardiola decided what his best back four was in the second half of the season.

Can't help but Farke should have more idea what his best XI is than he does, and at very least he needed to get his back 4/5 settled (one argument for having paid extra for Ajer to get him in through the door, I think that was a mistake in hindsight). 

I agree but you could argue that DF does know his preferred XI (I think similar to the team vs Watford) but late signings and the int break have prevented him from being able to select his best team.

1 hour ago, robert choice said:

Farke is a grown man on a good wage. He needs no protection.

We need anger to sort this out now, not soul searching.

Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Agreed, but do you actually see Farke doing that? Nope we'll pass sideways, backwards, straight to an Everton player. Repeat ad nauseum. 

8 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

That's the one!

I expected to wait a bit more than 3 minutes for someone to spot that!

I've very dissapointed that it wasn't an Idles reference

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

That's the one!

I expected to wait a bit more than 3 minutes for someone to spot that!

Apologies 😄

9 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Jim i understand but the team looks so lost 

hardly string a pass together playing people into danger then we lose the ball 

we just look Terrible in every area 

That's what I see. Good players being hemmed in by a complex system afraid of getting it wrong. This of course is exactly what happens when they are tense and looking over their shoulder all the time.

6 minutes ago, robert choice said:

That's what I see. Good players being hemmed in by a complex system afraid of getting it wrong. This of course is exactly what happens when they are tense and looking over their shoulder all the time.

Exactly they are put into Nervous Positions By passing around at the back 

Ok in the championship just 

but Hanley is not twinkle toed 

And PL players Know are quicker and Smarter 

We are causing the Problems and the players look a shadow of what they can be 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've very dissapointed that it wasn't an Idles reference

That would have been my go to too. Model village anyone?!

13 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

That would have been my go to too. Model village anyone?!

Wasn't a huge fan of the latest album but 'Brutalism' and 'Joy as an Act of Resistance' were both fantastic. Particularly 'Never Fight a Man With a Perm.'

Of the 9 new players signed, 5 are experienced players at the highest level and the other 4 are younger players with some experience at the highest level. Skipp had played a handful of PL games when he arrived, but he left able to fill a starting role for Spurs. We have gained 9 new players for the loss of Buendia and Skipp. The last time in the PL, Buendia had good stats, but few goals or assists. Normann has already got one assist in his first 60 minutes. It's frustrating to suffer these losses, but the new players will develop from here and results will improve once they do.