Sign in to follow this  
graz

Scattergun signings

Long time lurker here. This isn't hindsight but I always felt we would be better off keeping proper committed professionals like Tetts and Mario and spending 50 mill on 3 or 4 proper quality players improving key areas. Instead it feels like we've bought alot of average. Maybe we believed in Webber too much but was 50 mill for 11 players ever going to work? Maybe there was a reason we'd never heard of most of them ..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, graz said:

Long time lurker here. This isn't hindsight but I always felt we would be better off keeping proper committed professionals like Tetts and Mario and spending 50 mill on 3 or 4 proper quality players improving key areas. Instead it feels like we've bought alot of average. Maybe we believed in Webber too much but was 50 mill for 11 players ever going to work? Maybe there was a reason we'd never heard of most of them ..

I'd never heard of pukki before we signed him. Never heard of Ronaldo, Henry, vierra before they played in England. Yet I'd heard of Chris kiwomya when he signed for arsenal and he was ****. What's your point?

I think we've actually signed some good talent, on paper. Tzolis looks good, Sargent is a definite upgrade on Idah/Drmic, Rashica I'm yet to be convinced by but his stats are good from last season. It might come good, but unfortunately in the Premier League you just don't get time and I can't help but feel even if we still had Buendia we'd still look miles out of our depth

The problem with 15-20m players is that they very unreasonably want to be paid like they are £15-20m players (such as King for example) and our self funded model doesn’t allow for a wage structure to accommodate 60k a week wages. Signings made with both eyes on future resale potential rather than PL survival 

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

our self funded model doesn’t allow for a wage structure to accommodate 60k a week wages. Signings made with both eyes on future resale potential rather than PL survival 

8 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

The problem with 15-20m players is that they very unreasonably want to be paid like they are £15-20m players (such as King for example) and our self funded model doesn’t allow for a wage structure to accommodate 60k a week wages. Signings made with both eyes on future resale potential rather than PL survival 

Think the point of buying talented youngsters to sell on is so that we will be able to compete later on. It's not about treading water forever.

Edited by KeiranShikari

we've barely seen them play. I'd argue our existing members of the squad have been the ones who've mostly shat the bed so far this season as well.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Weird time to post after today where only really three of our new signings took part properly.

It's been bothering me since pre-season 😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Think the point of buying talented youngsters to sell on is so that we will be able to compete later on. It's not about treading water forever.

Great, maybe the club could give the fans an idea on their timescale, when they think we may be able to compete so that fans can save a bit of money on their season tickets and sky subscription in the meantime 🙂 

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Instead of signing 4 players for 10 mil each.we should have signed 2 quality players for 20 mil each to primarily replace Buendia and Skipp

Yep that's the point I'm getting at..

1 minute ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Great, maybe the club could give the fans an idea on their timescale, when they think we may be able to compete so that fans can save a bit of money on their season tickets and sky subscription in the meantime 🙂 

You haven't enjoyed watching football under Webber/Farke? 

Rough start this season but even the last Premier League season wasn't that bad (until we weren't in the ground).

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Weird time to post after today where only really three of our new signings took part properly.

Gunn, Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Tzolis all started, so that's four.

The Rashica had a good 20 minutes on the pitch, so five.

Assuming we don't count Gibson and Giannoulis as new.

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Gunn, Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Tzolis all started, so that's four.

The Rashica had a good 20 minutes on the pitch, so five.

Assuming we don't count Gibson and Giannoulis as new.

Well, Gunn is backup to the first team so I wasn't bothering with him. Gibson and Gian aren't new, so I wasn't including him.

So basically, relevant to the first team was 3 players playing any meaningful minutes.

40 minutes ago, graz said:

Saw your post on Facebook.

Sort of yes and no. Vrancic could probably still do something of a job. Some would argue that he'd be no worse than Gilmore perhaps on the showing so far this season. But Tettey was spent. Love Tettey to bits, and he is nothing but 100% committed but another season? In the top flight? And every game? He'd just not manage it sadly.

Keeping Tettey and Vrancic would only reduce us to filling 2 spots though. I would guess you would have tried to keep Nyland as the backup keeper which would mean we didn't sign Gunn... or McGovern as number 2 again?

Of those we signed it's clear Sargent and Tzolis are able, I think you said Ajer would be one you would have signed as well.

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

Saw your post on Facebook.

Sort of yes and no. Vrancic could probably still do something of a job. Some would argue that he'd be no worse than Gilmore perhaps on the showing so far this season. But Tettey was spent. Love Tettey to bits, and he is nothing but 100% committed but another season? In the top flight? And every game? He'd just not manage it sadly.

Keeping Tettey and Vrancic would only reduce us to filling 2 spots though. I would guess you would have tried to keep Nyland as the backup keeper which would mean we didn't sign Gunn... or McGovern as number 2 again?

Of those we signed it's clear Sargent and Tzolis are able, I think you said Ajer would be one you would have signed as well.

Yeah that was me haha. I feel not signing Ajer was penny pinching on our part tbh. Would rather have missed one of our many other signings to get him. Maybe I just feel quality over quantity. Missing out on Gunn might have facilitated that move and which would have been the better addition?

Edited by graz

Would any of you swap our signings made with that of Watford or Brentford?

I think Watfords would give us slightly more chance of staying up but I still think I'd pick ours.

Edited by KeiranShikari

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think Watfords would give us slightly more chance of staying up but I still think I'd pick ours.

On paper I'd agree but already they look better equipped to stay up. I have no idea why and that's what's frustrating. 

I'm mostly seeing low confidence, a lot of individual errors and a team that don't quite know what they're doing yet. We've replaced 2 MASSIVE players and had a rougher than most start to the season and I've just seen a post on Twitter reminding people that even in our best seasons under Farke we've started slowly.

People weren't expecting instant results but they're still feeling the need to act like massive idiots on football forums. I guess that's social media though. Lots of middle aged men that haven't seen their **** in years blowing off steam.

How poor was PLM? Easy chance early 2nd half which could have changed the game. Gilmour, Rupp and PLM. The worst midfield combo you could imagine.

17 minutes ago, graz said:

Yeah that was me haha. I feel not signing Ajer was penny pinching on our part tbh. Would rather have missed one of our many other signings to get him. Maybe I just feel quality over quantity. Missing out on Gunn might have facilitated that move and which would have been the better addition?

It's been stated by the Pinkun journo's a few times since that it wasn't - a lot is how it has been reported.

Eg; £10m Vs £13.5m. But in reality our total was the complete sum and not all of that up front. The £13.5m accepted from Brentford is not the entire sum as add ons could take it to the £18m mark and more of that £13.5m is likely to have been up front. So whilst on first glance it looks like £10m Vs £13.5m, the actual differences were greater than £3.5m.

But then Brentford's team was better than the team we were promoted with last time. They have two decent strikers that are already causing problems and who are tall and mobile and one of them can score a similar number to Pukki whilst being 6 years younger at 25 and just hitting his prime. They could afford to focus their spending on fewer players.

Our squad, whether it is liked or not, needed an overhaul. I think the vast majority of people accepted that Stiepermann, Drmic, Trybull, Leitner etc had shown they were not up to premier league standard before and Tettey, Vrancic and Klose were all past their best for it too. Of all of them, the only one I think could do a job in this team is Vrancic, but even then, he really didn't have the legs as such so we would have had to have found a way to play him in our side. And Farke hadn't managed that since our last promotion really. Good on Stoke for doing it though, he very much does have quality.

I'm not really sure that spending £13.5m-£16.6m on 3-4 new players would have necessarily improved us hugely. Ajer is looking at the moment like he may have done. But then at who's expense? It wouldn't be Kabak as he's a loan so costing us a fair bit less in any sense. So more likely PLM and another, Rashica maybe?

Vrancic stays you probably don't bother with who? Gilmore? McLean, Rupp and Vrancic and Normann in CM?

The fact that it was 2 promotred clubs seriously looking at Ajer also says a lot. We ended up with a guy who Liverpool rated enough to brining in and play last season.  There's a real chance Kabak ends up being the better player.

£40M isn't enough to replace Buendia and Skipp. I think we should have paid the extra for Ajer although I big spending hasn't worked for us previously

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I’d take Watford’s Midfield two over any of our central midfielders any day. They actually have strength and athleticism.

7 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Yes. I’d take Ajer and the DM they signed having seen them play now. They were exactly what we needed and should have been number 1 priority. 

It does seem like we've ripped the heart out of the team in both players and style. The turnover has just been too much to maintain any kind of consistency and identity. 

I'm not actually convinced that Sargent offers us anything more than Martin or Rashica more than Hernandez. 

We needed to buy genuine upgrades at CB, CDM, AM and S. We've spent most of the budget on 3 AMs with potential but not genuine Premier League quality then attempted to fill the vital defensive positions with loans.

I can't help but think we'd be doing way better if we'd kept the same team and style as last season with just a couple of additions/replacements.

9 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I'd never heard of pukki before we signed him. Never heard of Ronaldo, Henry, vierra before they played in England. Yet I'd heard of Chris kiwomya when he signed for arsenal and he was ****. What's your point?

His point is we have signed a lot of average players instead of one or two quality players , these players we have signed will take too long to gel as a team and in my opinion there are just too many new faces in the team at once and the team changes too much every week