Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Everton...

20 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I did a 3-5-3 choice earlier in the thread, if he was really going to go back to basics (and something I think we would not be able to argue against, even after the match because so many have called for it) then I think a 4-2-3-1 of the following would be my second choice:

Krul

Aarons               Kabak               Gibson           Giannoulis

Normann        Sorrenson

Sargent                     Dowel                    Cantwell

Pukki 

I like this. I think we need to go back to the formation that served us so well. I think playing two genuine defensive mids gives us solidity. If yiou want to go even more solid and have a bit more height you could play Kenny in the Dowell role there like we did at Everton 2 seasons ago to good effect. Ort you could play Sargent there and put Tzolis or Rashica out wide for some extra pace. Todd is a premier league quality player but looks way less effective out of his normal role. Pukki needs a player just in behind him. 

• Like 1

I really, really don;lt want to see Rupp or PLM on the team sheet on Saturday. For me they embody "not quite good enough" at this level. They are ok squad players/stand ins but nothing more. 

It     

Makes     No     Difference     Who

We       Play       Because

We        Are       

Crap

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

-------------------Krul

Aarons Omobamidele Hanley Williams

----------Normann Sorenson

Tzolis--------------------------------Rashica

--------Sargent-----Pukki

Old fashioned attacking 4-4-2, refreshing.

Krul

Aarons Omobamidele Kabak Williams

Normann Sorensen Gianoulis

Rashica  Tzolis

Pukki

Sargent/Cantwell/Idah  to come on to freshen it up

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I really, really don;lt want to see Rupp or PLM on the team sheet on Saturday. For me they embody "not quite good enough" at this level. They are ok squad players/stand ins but nothing more. 

I think Rupp's build lets him down a bit, but I would agree. On PLM however you are wrong, he has more about him and the physicality to compete, he was very good last night. The cynical challenge he put in shows he cares and that he's got a winner's mentality.

12 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

I’m going all in on 3-4-3. Follow Tuchel at Chelsea and the changes he made to correct the issues Lampard faced - namely conceding too many goals from wide areas as a result of having full backs pushed up too far but without cover. So:

Krul

Omobamidele - Kabak - Gibson

Aarons - Normann - Sorensen - Giannoulis

Sargent - Pukki - Tzolis

I’d have Cantwell, Gilmour, Rashica and Dowell primed and ready to come off the bench depending on the game situation. And I’d stick with it for a few games. I don’t think we lack the players, but we very understandably have a confidence problem. 

Whenever I've tried to pick a team it always looks unbalanced, or missing a player you'd really like to see in the team. Which I think sums up our problem and probably indicates a flaw in our summer recruitment.

Your team is the closest I've seen to making the most of the players we have. I've always been impressed with Sorensen, but he's obviously completely untried at PL level. At the moment his reputation is benefitting from not being in the team. Bizarre he didn't play yesterday. 

2 hours ago, birchfest said:

I did a 3-5-3 choice earlier in the thread, if he was really going to go back to basics (and something I think we would not be able to argue against, even after the match because so many have called for it) then I think a 4-2-3-1 of the following would be my second choice:

Krul

Aarons               Kabak               Gibson           Giannoulis

Normann        Sorrenson

Sargent                     Dowel                    Cantwell

Pukki 

3-5-3 would be a good idea if we could get away with it!

You're in good company, though. Terry Venables once asked his wife what she thought of the team selection he was planning for England's next game. "Very good, dear," she said, "but there's 12 of them and I don't think that's allowed."

• Haha 1

Krul

Aarons  Kabak  Gibson  Williams

Normann  Rupp  Gilmore

Tzolis  Sargent  Cantwell 

OR

Krul

Omobamidele  Kabak  Gibson

Aarons Normann Sorensen Williams

Tzolis Sargent Cantwell

Thank god I'm not the manager because I am at a complete loss who to pick at this stage

Krul

Aarons    Omobamidele    Hanley   Kabak   Williams

Normann      McClean

Tzolis   Seargent   Cantwell

14 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We need to stop conceding goals...think Williams is a better defender...just

Not on the Watford showing he isn't.

12 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Krul

Aarons  Kabak  Gibson  Williams

Normann  Rupp  Gilmore

Tzolis  Sargent  Cantwell 

OR

Krul

Omobamidele  Kabak  Gibson

Aarons Normann Sorensen Williams

Tzolis Sargent Cantwell

No pukki? Strange decision.

Don't understand why people can't pick a best eleven. 

Krul

Aarons kabak Gibson williams

Normann malou

Rashica dowell tzolis

Pukki or sergant 

Seems obvious enough 

28 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

No pukki? Strange decision.

Unfortunately without a 'Buendia' he is struggling and as I see it we don't have anyone to match Emis ability and vision.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Unfortunately without a 'Buendia' he is struggling and as I see it we don't have anyone to match Emis ability and vision.

Thought he linked up well with Sargent on Saturday, and look at Pukki's goal, that balled played through by Normann is exactly the passes Pukki is craving for. 

2 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Thought he linked up well with Sargent on Saturday, and look at Pukki's goal, that balled played through by Normann is exactly the passes Pukki is craving for. 

But I don't think that is Pukkis game.As for the goal.Good as it was I choose to think that Normann swung a leg and got lucky.

Having just rerun the video a few times I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought he just picked it off the Watford players foot but it wasn't quite like that.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I think PLM has probably been our best central midfielder overall. 

I think if we're looking to defend and we're playing 3 in midfield I'd be happy if Rupp was one of them.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I like this. I think we need to go back to the formation that served us so well. I think playing two genuine defensive mids gives us solidity. If yiou want to go even more solid and have a bit more height you could play Kenny in the Dowell role there like we did at Everton 2 seasons ago to good effect. Ort you could play Sargent there and put Tzolis or Rashica out wide for some extra pace. Todd is a premier league quality player but looks way less effective out of his normal role. Pukki needs a player just in behind him. 

Then we also have some serious pace options off the bench with Rashica and Tzolis if the game starts to stretch, same with Kenny, Gilmour and PLM off the bench to sure things up if we take the lead and need to see it out.

Edited by birchfest

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think if we're looking to defend and we're playing 3 in midfield I'd be happy if Rupp was one of them.

I would agree with that.
I am not one of the anti Rupp brigade.He was played out of position at the beginning of last season but eventually found his best starting position late on and but for an unfortunate injury was proving his worth.

28 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I would agree with that.
I am not one of the anti Rupp brigade.He was played out of position at the beginning of last season but eventually found his best starting position late on and but for an unfortunate injury was proving his worth.

Some players always upset some. I was never a fan of McLean preferring Vrancic last season but Kenny has more than proved his worth. Rupp equally I think has done well. All players can have stinker too or get matched up against their nemesis!

Truth is to find the right balance within a team - defensive solidarity, attacking flair, playmaker, pace and poacher. None of the individuals can be all things to all men hence partnerships in defence, midfield and attack.

And that's why Tzolis deserves Farkes wrath on the penalty. It's a team game not an immature individual one.

I would like to see Sorenson though given a chance as in some of the teams above! He may just be what we need  - unflappable.

1 hour ago, fredherring said:

Don't understand why people can't pick a best eleven. 

Krul

Aarons kabak Gibson williams

Normann malou

Rashica dowell tzolis

Pukki or sergant 

Seems obvious enough 

Almost right but McLean for malou and either play Sargent or Cantwell in dowell’s position.

Edited by rock bus

5 hours ago, Grumpy said:

But I don't think that is Pukkis game.As for the goal.Good as it was I choose to think that Normann swung a leg and got lucky.

Of course. Just lucky 😂

4 hours ago, rock bus said:

Almost right but McLean for malou and either play Sargent or Cantwell in dowell’s position.

After McLeans performance vs Watford I wouldn't pick him on Saturday.

13 hours ago, Haus said:

Krul

Aaron's, Gibson, Hanley, Gianoullis

Sorenson, Mclean

Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki 

Is what I'd go for on Saturday.  (although I'm not sold on Rashica yet, we just have noone else who can play there) 

i like the Idea of that and was going to say play As many of the original players who know how to play together as possible then would be no excuse of New players getting used to tactics 

But then you have a champs side playing Everton ,

Can do no worse than we have seen so i will go with this team 

Krul 

Omo  Kabak Hanley 

Aarons   Normann  PLM   Dimi

Sargent     Tzolis

Pukki

How about  a back 5 of 

Kabak 

Aarons Andy.O  Hanley   Williams

Sweeper system with Normann in front  ?