Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Everton...

2 hours ago, treacletown07 said:

I can understand why Dyche got rid of Gibson

Only real defender on the pitch for City . Which game were you watching .

8 minutes ago, Branston said:

Only real defender on the pitch for City . Which game were you watching .

Yeah I agree miles better than Hanley tonite.

Krul

Aarons Andy.O kabak Gibson Williams 

Normann Lees~melou

Gilmour 

Pukki        Sargent

(Nearly) In the words of Mike Bassett, we'll be playing 4-2-3-effing1 on Saturday. 3 at the back clearly doesn't work, so Krul, Aarons, Omabamedile, Kabak, Williams, double pivot of Normann and Gilmour, Rashica and Tzolis flanking Todd in the 10 and Pukki up top

Krul

Aaron's, Gibson, Hanley, Gianoullis

Sorenson, Mclean

Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki 

Is what I'd go for on Saturday.  (although I'm not sold on Rashica yet, we just have noone else who can play there) 

2 minutes ago, Haus said:

Krul

Aaron's, Gibson, Hanley, Gianoullis

Sorenson, Mclean

Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki 

Is what I'd go for on Saturday.  (although I'm not sold on Rashica yet, we just have noone else who can play there) 

Sorenson over Normann? Seems harsh.

Just now, 1902 said:

Sorenson over Normann? Seems harsh.

I'd have him on the bench, I just think he wasn't fully fit last week, and isn't fully up to speed with the playstyle yet, I'd probably switch him in for Sorenson at half time as Sorenson likely isn't match fit either. 

GK  Krul

LB  Williams

CB  Hanley

CB  Kabak

RB  Aarons

CM  Normann

CM  Gilmour

AML  Rashica

AMC  Cantwell

AMR  Sargent

ST  Pukki

8 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

For anyone old enough.... 

Gunn (Bryan) 

Culverhouse  Polston Butterworth Bowen

Newman Goss Crook Fox

Ekoku Sutton 

Oh, those were the days. 

Just think of the centre half’s we have had in the past , Forbes , David jones, Bruce, Watson , Malky , real leaders or strikers like Jimmy Bone ,Ted mc Dougall, holt, Robert’s , and Sutton could do with someone like that now 

Edited by Yellowhammer

The most important thing is to figure out what formation we are going to play and stick with it, decide what is our best 11 and stick with them (if possible) for a few games to become used to each other.

Three at the back or three at central midfield isn’t really working, we’re slow to build up, drop far too deep and allow the best clubs in England far to much time on the ball higher up the pitch. As a result we struggle to creat and inevitably go behind.

Back to 4 - 2 - 3 -1 for me, three behind Pukki in Rashica, Dowell (if Cantwell is still having personal issue) and Tzolis. Got to be Gilmour & Norman in midfield and I’d certainly start Omobamdele (who looked our best CB last, says a lot when an inexperienced 18 year old shows up two senior clowns) alongside Kabak.

Reading all these suggestions, it's clear there are lots of potential player and formation permutations.

Whatever team DF arrives at for Everton, he needs to find a settled side, with a few rotations going forward, and fast.

Krul

Aarons, Kabak, Andy O, Giannoulis

Normann, Gilmour, PLM

Rashica, Pukki, Sargent

Last attempt at 4-3-3. Play the team as was probably envisaged at the start of the season, no excuse for nobody being up to speed.

PLM given freedom to get up and down the pitch, Normann primarily responsible for screening the defensive line and as one of two outlets. Gilmour asked to show her can beat the press and get the ball to Rashica and Sargent fast. If he can't, try Sorenson. McLean to replace PLM if he can't stand the pace.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

The most important thing is to figure out what formation we are going to play and stick with it, decide what is our best 11 and stick with them (if possible) for a few games to become used to each other.

Three at the back or three at central midfield isn’t really working, we’re slow to build up, drop far too deep and allow the best clubs in England far to much time on the ball higher up the pitch. As a result we struggle to creat and inevitably go behind.

Back to 4 - 2 - 3 -1 for me, three behind Pukki in Rashica, Dowell (if Cantwell is still having personal issue) and Tzolis. Got to be Gilmour & Norman in midfield and I’d certainly start Omobamdele (who looked our best CB last, says a lot when an inexperienced 18 year old shows up two senior clowns) alongside Kabak.

It's the slow build up that concerns me, but that's why I'm frustrated with this current permeation of 4-3-3. Gilmour and Normann should have the range of passing and technical skill to release the front three fast. 

That's not happening.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

Stop messing with the formation.

Krul**

Aarons** - Kabak* - Hanley**/Gibson - Williams*

PLM** - Normann*** - McLean***

Sargent**** - Pukki**** - Cantwell**

*Some players who turned a mixed performance against Watford need an opportunity to respond. Especially the young/new ones. If we don't let them pick themselves up, we're done. Kabak's failures against Watford are a case FOR him.

**On their average day, these players are fit for PL. We need that solidity. Cantwell is in, because in the end he is PL quality and he needs to respond to his Leicester game foolishness. Hanley I'd start but switch with Gibson if he's tired.

***Normann is not a defensive midfielder. He found Pukki once and that was no mistake. McLean is needed to compensate defensively. Gilmour I think is luxury we can't afford atm.

****Sargent must get opportunity to find connection with Pukki. Emi is gone. Need to muscle in more.

For what it's worth......

5-3-2

Krul

Aarons, AO, kabak, Gibson, Williams 

McLean, normann, cantwell/dowell

Pukki, rashica 

4-2-3-1 

Krul 

Aarons, AO, kabak, Williams 

Normann, McLean 

Rashica, dowell, cantwell/tzolis 

Pukki

Any team sheet that has Hanley on it seems to fail on the pitch. He has seemed particularly poor so far this season . Just saying.

Whatever team he picks we must get TC back in. 

Krul 

Omabamidele  Kabak  Gibson

Aaron's Normann Sorensen Williams 

Cantwell Gilmour

Pukki

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

3 at the back?  Can we just ditch that like forever?

Yeah, I can't believe after last night posters continue with this as an idea. Doesn't work as it leaves us too narrow and we get overloaded on that flanks. Krul, Normann, Pukki, Aarons & Sargent in as a minimum. Gunn, Gibson, Idah, Mumba and Tzolis out. Might also swap Kabak for Hanley and Rashica for PLM.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Upo said:

Stop messing with the formation.

Krul**

Aarons** - Kabak* - Hanley**/Gibson - Williams*

PLM** - Normann*** - McLean***

Sargent**** - Pukki**** - Cantwell**

*Some players who turned a mixed performance against Watford need an opportunity to respond. Especially the young/new ones. If we don't let them pick themselves up, we're done. Kabak's failures against Watford are a case FOR him.

**On their average day, these players are fit for PL. We need that solidity. Cantwell is in, because in the end he is PL quality and he needs to respond to his Leicester game foolishness. Hanley I'd start but switch with Gibson if he's tired.

***Normann is not a defensive midfielder. He found Pukki once and that was no mistake. McLean is needed to compensate defensively. Gilmour I think is luxury we can't afford atm.

****Sargent must get opportunity to find connection with Pukki. Emi is gone. Need to muscle in more.

***Not in the Skipp sense, no. He is deep lying though.

Most of what we have conceded has been down to bad marking in the centre and either someone finding an overlap behind the fullback or them not getting tight enough and failing to stop the cross coming in.

Norman should be able to disrupt play alongside a PLM or McLean enough to make the preceding ball harder, but the main problem is positioning by the back line. 

We need to pose a threat though, otherwise we will get eaten alive by the pressure. That's why in my opinion we need a second player capable of playing a ball out, otherwise the one ball playing midfielder we have will just be harried all game. As it stands we only have two options with the technical ability to potentially do that. The other is Gilmour.

I'm not saying its working, but I can see the theory.

Edited by 1902

I agree he needs to stick with a settled team and formation for a few games. As bad as the players have been it can’t help changing team mates and formation every game.

As for actual team I’d like it to definitely include Cantwell, Norman, Tzolis, Sargent and Pukki.

Definately not Gilmour, Idah or Rupp who shouldn’t be in the match day squad. (Sadly also tempted to add Hanley to this list)

Krul

Aarons Andy Gibbo Giannoulis 

Norm Mayor

Cantwell Dowell Tzolis

Pukki

Or I'd have Sarge for Dowell and have him and Pukki swapping the 10 role to cause confusion and panic 

14 minutes ago, 1902 said:

***Not in the Skipp sense, no. He is deep lying though.

Most of what we have conceded has been down to bad marking in the centre and either someone finding an overlap behind the fullback or them not getting tight enough and failing to stop the cross coming in.

Norman should be able to disrupt play alongside a PLM or McLean enough to make the preceding ball harder, but the main problem is positioning by the back line. 

We need to pose a threat though, otherwise we will get eaten alive by the pressure. That's why in my opinion we need a second player capable of playing a ball out, otherwise the one ball playing midfielder we have will just be harried all game. As it stands we only have two options with the technical ability to potentially do that. The other is Gilmour.

I'm not saying its working, but I can see the theory.

Perhaps Normann should have opportunity to play a bit higher at times, which is why I'd get a more balanced midfield.

Honestly the goals we've conceded have been mostly down to lapses of focus and individual errors more than any structural issues.

If you look at the goals conceded against Watford, Kabak has received too little criticism. He flat out failed in basic defensive functions and getting booed will hopefully catalyze a reaction in him. Chances are good because he's young, hungry, and his career in PL is crippled if he's benched for Norwich.

I do not think there is anything fundamentally structurally wrong with our team. Need time to gel.

5-2-3

Get the wingbacks pushing forward and linking up with two wider players. Get Gilmour picking out the forward runs of Pukki and Milot. Keep Norman deeper to allow the RCB and LCB to sit a little wider and cover the space vacated by Aarons and Dimi.

Krul

Aarons, Kabak, Hanley, Gibson, Dimi

Gilmour, Normann

Milot, Pukki, Cantwell

Krul

Arrons Omad Kabak Williams

Norm  Gilmour

Sarg     Lees-Melou   Tzolis 

Pukki

If we were to go 3 at the back, which I doubt, Giannoulis was superb last night and it would be a real shame not to see him rewarded with a league start.

Same with Lees-Melou, showed that little nasty streak and streetwise enough to take a yellow. 

Krul

Omo      Hanley     Kabak

Aarons                                                   Giannoulis

Normann     

McClean/Gilmour     Lees-Melou         

Sargent                            Pukki

I did a 3-5-3 choice earlier in the thread, if he was really going to go back to basics (and something I think we would not be able to argue against, even after the match because so many have called for it) then I think a 4-2-3-1 of the following would be my second choice:

Krul

Aarons               Kabak               Gibson           Giannoulis

Normann        Sorrenson

Sargent                     Dowel                    Cantwell

Pukki 

• Like 1

If we are going to pursue with 3 at the back I think a 3-4-3 is the way to go, we look narrow last night going forward. Something like this would suit I think

Krul 

Omobamidele, Kabak, Gibson

Aarons, Normann, Mclean, Williams

Sargent, Pukki, Tzolis

Thought Gilmour has his best game for us last night but need more steel in the midfield which I think Mclean can provide for a game like this.