2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think the main difference in this game was that a lot of the forward play/chances on goal came from his play. I don’t agree that he didn’t have an impact but I agree he’s a bit inconsistent, did do a few things wrong.

I noticed he was getting booed towards the end when he was on the ball, any idea of this was Norwich or Liverpool fans? Couldn’t really see much reason to boo him, he was far from the worst out there.

It was the Liverpool fans. They've got history with him because he's a Chelsea player. 

https://tribuna.com/en/news/chelsea-2021-08-16-liverpool-fans-launch-homophobic-rent-boy-chant-at-billy-gilmour-its-origin-explained/

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/billy-gilmour-liverpool-fans-homophobic-chanting-lgbt-chelsea-norwich-1151801

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

I will eat my hat from my last judgement   i though Gilmour was the best player on the pitch tonight just needs the players around him to do the dirty work.

Yeah, that dirty work of... you know... running, tracking your man, tackling, blocking, maybe the occasional foul... Sure, we can carry a midfielder who doesn't do half the job because he can pick a good pass.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Yeah, that dirty work of... you know... running, tracking your man, tackling, blocking, maybe the occasional foul... Sure, we can carry a midfielder who doesn't do half the job because he can pick a good pass.

I agree  that's what they said about Paul Scholes 

Have to disagree with OP. This was first match this season when Gilmour got lots of ball and I think it ended up as disappointing. His vision and decision making did not seem to keep up with the pace of the game. There were lots of times when he hogged ball and dribbled when he should have passed. Defensively he was like in matches before.

He is not bad player and will become better, but for me he is in many ways like a downgraded version of Cantwell and its hard for me to see how he has earned a season ticket to starting eleven.

Edited by hepphep

We have enough young players to nurture without having to give game time to a Chelsea youngster who seems to be rather lightweight, more than a bit over-hyped and really the last type of player we need in our current predicament.

How on earth he is preferred to Cantwell is beyond belief, unless there are other undercurrents in that particularly fragile situation.

Gilmore/Williams, one of them a (youngster) loan too far. Probably the former according to need.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Billy Gilmour is a cog in a team. Looked great in a couple of early appearances with very good Chelsea players around him. He is young and most proberly will be a good PL player in the future. 

We don't need him and Rupp together, another ' cog' but lighter, playing together, someone's got to create and finish from midfield. At the moment the team is very unbalanced, too many of the same type, full backs being second grade wingers, slow center backs trying to be play makers and not defending. 

If I was Chelsea, I'd seriously look to recall him and give him a season in the Championship. 

Keep him off set pieces for now, his skill is on the ball and huge desire to receive it.  Great player, and agree with OP.

He needs to play further advanced as he naturally will fall back to aid the build up. Alongside Normann I think it's potentially our strongest area of play.

10 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

My ' stream ' is now very very weak . 

👍😉😇

Edited by wcorkcanary

Billy tried hard and showed the occasional flash of talent, but I was more impressed by Liverpool's hard working and tenacious 16 and 18 year old young guns......

I’m sorry, I didn’t think that much of him when I heard we were trying to get the loan deal done and nothing has changed that opinion. Played a few decent balls yesterday but also gave the ball away a few times.

But did anyone else notice that he was the player marking Minamino at the corner for the first goal and when Minamino got away from him and drifted to the far corner, Gilmour just stood around doing nothing. Is that how zonal marking works?

Edited by Mr Angry
Got the Liverpool player's name wrong-didn't think it was right when I typed it :-)

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

What game did you actually watch? 

Gilmour was absolutely woeful. He had a couple of good moments but he was positionally all over the place when we didn't have the ball, was second to everything and just kept losing the ball at crucial times.

We can't carry someone so unreliable just for the few decent contributions - the midfield needs to be more disciplined than that otherwise we just get carved open. 

He watched the same game as you and came to a different opinion.. it does happen...