TeemuVanBasten

Idah isn't very good

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well it would appear that he can hit the postage stamp top corner at vicious pace in a mega high pressure penalty shoot out in an away game in front of 60,000 fans. But please - whatever you do - don't look at actual evidence when making your judgement. That would never do when the Pink'Un mob is sticking the boot in to one of our young players.

2:06 to 2:36 here.

Saw all the evidence I needed to tonight, he's absolute turd and I hope we never see him in a City shirt again, makes Dean Coney look like Messi 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well it would appear that he can hit the postage stamp top corner at vicious pace in a mega high pressure penalty shoot out in an away game in front of 60,000 fans. But please - whatever you do - don't look at actual evidence when making your judgement. That would never do when the Pink'Un mob is sticking the boot in to one of our young players.

2:06 to 2:36 here.

In open play he cant even run in the right direction

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Saw all the evidence I needed to tonight, he's absolute turd and I hope we never see him in a City shirt again, makes Dean Coney look like Messi 

So when you're presented with ACTUAL EVIDENCE you just get more potty mouthed and sweary. You're p*ssed off because we lost tonight - I get that. In the morning you'll look back at this thread and feel a little guilty. 

• Like 1

I think there is a good player in there, they wouldn't have him involved if they didn't believe it and the same with the mood music from the club about how he is viewed. He isnt crap, he isnt rubbish or a lost cause, However...

We cant expect a player who hasn't had more than a handful of starts in 2 seasons of football to come on and look a world beater. Sharpness in front of goal comes from exposure to chances and game time. I'm looking at his starting stats and last season he barely got a look in, he isn't going to get it any easier now. He HAS to go out on loan in January and get some experience, even if thats to get him ready for a Championship season with us next season.

7 hours ago, curious yellow said:

First game he's started for us this season and everyone else was so good, weren't they? 

Has played well at international level this season. 

The latest scapegoat. 

10 caps, zero goals.

7 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Same as all our players bar Pukki against top opposition this season. 

Top opposition? You've seen who his caps have come against right?

Had a poor night definitely but some of the comments about someone who is only 20 are plain ridiculous. Farke should have taken him off at 60mins and perhaps saved some of this bile. At that age a couple of bad touches early on can upset a half, if it continues then the whole game is a write off. 

He was up against Konate, a first team player, and gomez another player who would likely play in most prem backlines. If nothing else it was a lesson for him against some World level defenders. 

• Like 3

Comments saying only 20….how old before he starts showing some real ability rather than promise.

for f sake Liverpool had a 16 year old who looked far more composed, confident and skilful. Idah looked weak and scared.

Even looking at our own players Tzolis, Omobamidele and Williams. are similar ages (poss younger) but all look far better players.

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So when you're presented with ACTUAL EVIDENCE you just get more potty mouthed and sweary. You're p*ssed off because we lost tonight - I get that. In the morning you'll look back at this thread and feel a little guilty. 

Nope 🤷‍♂️ I may have been a tad ott with the style of post, but the simple fact is he's a mile off the required level, and he's never going to be, and a decent penalty and a hattrick against Preston reserves won't change that. 

Hi, long-time reader, first-time poster (under this account. My log-in credentials under my old account were lost many moons ago)... I just had to weigh in on this thread because I've been thinking the same ever since the start of his 'breakthrough' season and thought I was in a league of one.

Since the Preston hat-trick, which I think we can all agree on was an unbelievable way to start his Norwich career, I cannot think of a single match where his performance has made me think, 'woah, he's going to be some player', because he just doesn't seem to offer anything or influence the game in any way. 

He doesn't seem to stretch the defence with his movement which seems a crime when he clearly has a bit of pace that would frighten most defenders, and his first (and second for that matter) touch does really let him down.

I know he's still young, but based on what he's shown so far in his career he seems so far off the standard required for Prem level. Maybe he'll come good if he had a season as a first team regular in the Championship? Who knows?! Clearly Farke thinks he'll be a useful squad player at this level, otherwise he would've sent him out on loan and signed someone else as a backup, it's just a shame that no-one else can see what Farke does!

It would be really interesting though to hear what RoI fans make of what they've seen of him at international level. We're not making Idah a scapegoat as Norwich and Ireland's problems are way, WAY bigger than poor Adam, but does he have any influence in the game when playing for Ireland? Does he look worthy of a regular starting place? Are his 0 goals reflective of his inabilities, or down to the negativity of the Irish coach? 

Sorry for the essay, hopefully one day something will click with Idah. We all want to see our Academy players coming through and doing well, and we've been really blessed with that over the past couple of years, but man this season is going to be a long and tough one, especially if we're carrying players who just are not up to the standard.

• Like 1

One of the most gutting aspect about last night was seeing nothing about Idah that suggests he can get close to the level we need.  I really had quite high hopes for him after glimpses we've had, he's seemed really energised, physically strong and striking a ball nice in the pre-season/training footage.

But in a live game, you just see nothing like that - he's going the wrong way at times, unable to control a ball under pressure and too nonchalant (Obviously that's more subjective).

Hand on heart I think that even Gibson would've done a better job than Idah up top last night.

As for the season - We're down to Pukki and Sargent, and historically Sargent isn't a goal scorer.  If we could put Pukki's finishing into Sargent's body we'd have a world beater.  As it stands, we almost need to be playing both up top to get both aspects into play.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hand of Theo said:

Hi, long-time reader, first-time poster (under this account. My log-in credentials under my old account were lost many moons ago)... I just had to weigh in on this thread because I've been thinking the same ever since the start of his 'breakthrough' season and thought I was in a league of one.

Since the Preston hat-trick, which I think we can all agree on was an unbelievable way to start his Norwich career, I cannot think of a single match where his performance has made me think, 'woah, he's going to be some player', because he just doesn't seem to offer anything or influence the game in any way. 

He doesn't seem to stretch the defence with his movement which seems a crime when he clearly has a bit of pace that would frighten most defenders, and his first (and second for that matter) touch does really let him down.

I know he's still young, but based on what he's shown so far in his career he seems so far off the standard required for Prem level. Maybe he'll come good if he had a season as a first team regular in the Championship? Who knows?! Clearly Farke thinks he'll be a useful squad player at this level, otherwise he would've sent him out on loan and signed someone else as a backup, it's just a shame that no-one else can see what Farke does!

It would be really interesting though to hear what RoI fans make of what they've seen of him at international level. We're not making Idah a scapegoat as Norwich and Ireland's problems are way, WAY bigger than poor Adam, but does he have any influence in the game when playing for Ireland? Does he look worthy of a regular starting place? Are his 0 goals reflective of his inabilities, or down to the negativity of the Irish coach? 

Sorry for the essay, hopefully one day something will click with Idah. We all want to see our Academy players coming through and doing well, and we've been really blessed with that over the past couple of years, but man this season is going to be a long and tough one, especially if we're carrying players who just are not up to the standard.

Agree with this - he needs a season at a lower level to gain confidence and stop snatching at things / awareness of others. Either way ineffective at this level.

12 hours ago, nfkboy21 said:

I been thinking this for ages. He wouldn't do anything if he was on loan at Kings Lynn.

the thing is, this is what these loans are for. Either he flops at lower level and isn't ready yet or his raw ability shines through and he pisses all over opposition that is less talented. He's not getting that chance to build that reputation playing 2nd fiddle here though last night was a huge chance wasted for him. That chance in the first half that went straight at their keeper was pathetic and stank of a lack of composure. We know he can strike a ball better than that.

Poor Adam is now making his own way back from Liverpool.....Adam was inadvertently smuggled onto their team's flight back to John Lennon airport from Norwich late last night....Apparently Ibrahima Konate totally forgot that he still had Adam in his pocket......

There's a really good player in there somewhere with Idah. He's got all the right attributes to be premiership quality. It's a bit harsh to throw his international record into an argument when he's so incredibly isolated for Ireland and up against good national sides at a very young age still. The Irish seem to love him for the most part. He does need a loan in the Championship. I suspect that a loan option was the original plan. Sounds like Warnock wanted him at Boro which would have been great alongside Hernandez.

Edited by Michael Starr

15 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

When did he last score a goal 

Last goal of the season, away to Barnsley. Scored first and last goals of last season in the league.

I'm left with the (hindsight led of course) thought that maybe we should have kept Hugill and loaned out Idah- Adam would clearly benefit from a run of starts that he won't get here.

Sometimes good young talented people need to have a watershed moment when they realise they have to pull their finger out and do more or they won't achieve what they want.  Idah may have reached that point with last night's performance and the criticism he is getting.  He needs to step up now or pretty soon, or he will not make the breakthrough he and the rest of us want.  Last night was a great opportunity to show us what he's got and tbh, there wasn't much to shout about.

• Like 1

Surprised how one-way this discussion is, but perhaps sums up where we are as fans as well.

Idah and Sargent are essentially the same age, but I know who Id rather have in the team.

Sargent instantly impressed with his work rate, determination to get into the game and use of physicality. Idah needs to be doing some of this. I cant recall a time I have ever seen him put himself about a bit the way Sargent did.

Idah's strength is supposed to be his finishing from what I've read about him over the years - yet this is the commonest criticism. 

There comes a time where it becomes apparent youth products are not progressing. We've seen it with Rudd and Steer for example. 

You could also argue Chris Martin. I think he had to move away to step up a level, for some players being dumped it what makes them - think of Lambert's players from yester-year - all players who had suffered rejection and fought their way back up the pyramid.

Sadly Idah has had nothing but praise generally, with Mourinho labelling him 'the new Ibrahimovic' at 17. Maybe this hasnt bred the desire to prove himself that you can see in Tzolis and Sargent.

I do feel he is very unlikely to make it with us and it's hard to see him as a striking option with us at present. Perhaps the rumours about him being a make-weight in an deal for Armstrong werent too far off the mark.

Gomez and Koyate were too strong for him, but he still had two great chances to score and miss-hit both shots. His touch was heavy and his movement sluggish. He is a big unit, supposedly fast with a great shot on him, but whenever he plays he seems to just go into a shell and not even look as if he is trying, though I'm sure he is. He's had good reviews for Ireland, as Gilmour has for Scotland - neither have looked like PL players so far.

Edited by sgncfc

58 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

There comes a time where it becomes apparent youth products are not progressing. We've seen it with Rudd and Steer for example.

Perhaps things will suddenly click into place and he will burst on to the scene - after all Harry Kane didn't look great at a similar age and he turned out ok, but he has a lot to do now to show he has something worth pursuing. I was full of hope for him this season and wishing him well, but he hasn't imo forced his way into the reckoning for a PL start on that performance. 

What I will say is that when he has had cameos from the bench playing wide on the left, he has looked quite good at hustling for the ball - and maybe that is the answer - have him as a support player to the main striker, which keeps the pressure off him a little bit.

Anyhow, yesterday may not be a good day to judge him, as everything the team tried didn't come off and on another day we could have had four or five goals. Things just not happening for anyone at the moment!

35 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Gomez and Koyate were too strong for him, but he still had two great chances to score and miss-hit both shots. His touch was heavy and his movement sluggish. He is a big unit, supposedly fast with a great shot on him, but whenever he plays he seems to just go into a shell and not even look as if he is trying, though I'm sure he is. He's had good reviews for Ireland, as Gilmour has for Scotland - neither have looked like PL players so far.

I hope he avoids social media, over the years Norwich fans have crucified  some young strikers. He has to commit  to a shot in a PL game and follow through and trust his instincts which are honed-on the training pitch and positive results on the pitch. Which is why we should support him now when things are not right throughout the team, not kick him when he is down.

No need for all the bashing. We should just get him out on loan in the championship and see if he sinks or swims. He probably won't make it at this level, but there's a faint chance he'll surprise us if he's getting regular games. 

What is obvious is he's not worth a place in the squad this season. I'm not quite sure why he wasn't loaned out in the summer.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Sometimes good young talented people need to have a watershed moment when they realise they have to pull their finger out and do more or they won't achieve what they want.  Idah may have reached that point with last night's performance and the criticism he is getting.  He needs to step up now or pretty soon, or he will not make the breakthrough he and the rest of us want.  Last night was a great opportunity to show us what he's got and tbh, there wasn't much to shout about.

There wasn't anything to shout about from anybody and it was the first game Idah has started for us for ages. He scored in pre-season put in some good performances for ROI and has looked good as a sub in the Prem so far. Remember the effect on Van Wolfswinkel when Snodgrass stole his penalty

Makes me wonder why people are so determined to criticise Idah particularly when Farke has asked us to get behind our team. Our new expensive signings have produced virtually nothing. RVW and Naismith had better starts than Rashica. Tzolis and Sargent only did well against poor opposition. They need time to settle in but let's give Idah more than one game. 

Edited by curious yellow

I know I had an earlier lighthearted dig, but it is unwarranted criticism to just single out Adam's poor performance as I personally think none of those selected to play in yellow last night covered themselves in glory....

27 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

There wasn't anything to shout about from anybody and it was the first game Idah has started for us for ages. He scored in pre-season put in some good performances for ROI and has looked good as a sub in the Prem so far. Remember the effect on Van Wolfswinkel when Snodgrass stole his penalty

Makes me wonder why people are so determined to criticise Idah particularly when Farke has asked us to get behind our team. Our new expensive signings have produced virtually nothing. RVW and Naismith had better starts than Rashica. Tzolis and Sargent only did well against poor opposition. They need time to settle in but let's give Idah more than one game. 

I think you can only criticise from what you see on the pitch, whether it's Idah or anyone else.  He had a poor match and no harm in saying so.  He's been around the first team for over two years now, admittedly with an injury last season which curtailed him a bit, but he should start to look at home on the pitch now.  Often he has come on as a substitute and looked ok, but he needs to start showing some of the promise we have all been told about when up front - and to be fair what he showed in that game against Preston two years ago. Not writing him off, far from it, just wanting to see more from him - to see him on his best game.

17 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well it would appear that he can hit the postage stamp top corner at vicious pace in a mega high pressure penalty shoot out in an away game in front of 60,000 fans. But please - whatever you do - don't look at actual evidence when making your judgement. That would never do when the Pink'Un mob is sticking the boot in to one of our young players

Deserves the boot for that criminal decision to shoot instead of square the ball to Pukki for the tap in.

That was the moment he blew it I feel. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think you can only criticise from what you see on the pitch, whether it's Idah or anyone else.  He had a poor match and no harm in saying so.  He's been around the first team for over two years now, admittedly with an injury last season which curtailed him a bit, but he should start to look at home on the pitch now.  Often he has come on as a substitute and looked ok, but he needs to start showing some of the promise we have all been told about when up front - and to be fair what he showed in that game against Preston two years ago. Not writing him off, far from it, just wanting to see more from him - to see him on his best game.

As we all do from all our players. But singling him out is unfair and does no good.