lake district canary

Lapps Official Liverpool Match thread

I have to question what the hell we’ve been doing in training? We look so one-dimensional and then panic when we have the ball near the goal. No composure at all and no ideas on how to make space.  Adam Idah has looked dreadful tonight. 

• Like 1

This could turn out to be a good result….….……

…….we can fully focus on getting relegated….

• Haha 3

Just can't defend... again. 1 red shirt in the box and he heads it in. Happened on Saturday as well.  Four years of poor defending nothing is changing, despite all of Farke's words.

• Like 1

Was about to say I was enjoying the game but that 2nd Liverpool goal has infuriated me. It’s basic, semi-pro level stuff. Just shocking.

If our defending carries on this way it’s on Farke and the coaching staff. Simply not good enough. Had enough of us conceding soft goals. Embarrassing.

Edited by Hoolahoop14
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, unique said:

I blame Hanley.

why commit the foul on the half-way line? FFS

To stop the break and slow play down, wasn’t the wrong call for me.

Didn't Farke say 2 seasons ago he plays zonal marking because he didn't have the right players to play man to man. He's had 2 seasons to at least sort that.

We could pick boys from an under 15 team and they'd know how to defend better than our lot  

Just now, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Just can't defend... again. 1 red shirt in the box and he heads it in. Happened on Saturday as well.  Four years of poor defending nothing is changing, despite all of Farke's words.

Absolutely this. One red shirt in the box, defenders can’t mark, don’t make it difficult, simple goal to concede. Embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

We aren't getting another point while Grant Hanley is in our defence. Not up to prem level at all

Kept Kane quiet in the summer, perhaps its our zonal marking?

4 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

That’s absolutely shocking. Three CB’s on the pitch and not one anywhere near Origi. Absolutely no excuse for that, disgraceful defending. 

Yea this, why wasn’t at least one literally breathing down his neck.

Oh gosh. Some positives when on possession, but so silly defensive mistakes just keep coming. I'm ready to agree that some dramatic changes are needed there. Bit feel like Hanley is the incompatible piece there and other defenders cant read his intentions and movement

In all serious we could try 6 at the back in the next game? Get Kabak on, he could’ve marked Origi for that header while Omobamidele marked 5 yards ahead, Hanley marked 2 yards ahead and Gibson marked 2 yards behind. Try scoring a header us then!!

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

Didn't Farke say 2 seasons ago he plays zonal marking because he didn't have the right players to play man to man. He's had 2 seasons to at least sort that.

We could pick boys from an under 15 team and they'd know how to defend better than our lot  

I thought that was the reason he got everyone back at corners, because he doesn't have the physicality?

I hate everyone back at corners but I like at least some form of zonal marking.

With just over 30 minutes left it gives Farke an opportunity to bring Kabak on and experiment with six at the back….

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Absolutely this. One red shirt in the box, defenders can’t mark, don’t make it difficult, simple goal to concede. Embarrassing.

They can, just that they are told to mark "zones" instead of, well, players. And any half decent coach is going to know how to exploit a team who deploy zonal marking, yet alone one of the best coaches in the world. 

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Anyone want a season ticket for the rest of the season? £300. I get it back next season.

Nah sorry Dan you’ll have to pay me more than that

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Helsinki canary said:

Hanley and Gibson are like bill and ben the flowerpot men , both need to be dropped, Gibson has been a total waste of money

He hasn't, he was a big part in getting us promoted which more than covered his fee, which I believe we were obliged to pay on going up.

But the evidence suggests he's certainly not Premier League standard.

I know it's a second string.

I know it's early on in the season.

But f*ck me am I getting seriously worried about the fact WE CAN'T DEFEND FOR SH1T. 

We can't even do the basics. Close the crosser down? Nah! Challenge for the cross? F*ck that!

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Anyone want a season ticket for the rest of the season? £300. I get it back next season.

Serious suggestion? Which part of the ground 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They can, just that they are told to mark "zones" instead of, well, players. And any half decent coach is going to know how to exploit a team who deploy zonal marking, yet alone one of the best coaches in the world. 

So who was supposed to be marking the zone right in the centre with the 6ft Liverpool forward in it?!

I am never one to slate our players, that's not what support is for me, but it is even clearer this season than in 2019-20 that Hanley is not at the races consistently enough at this level.

I was concerned about Kabak too after Saturday. He looked slow and ponderous but worth the benefit of the doubt after one game.

Farke needs to make a decision about Hanley, captain or not, he is costing us goals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unique said:

I blame Hanley.

why commit the foul on the half-way line? FFS

I've seen many many people complain we don't do enough of this - I was actually thinking it was a sensible challenge to put in. 

Of all the things to criticise, this wouldn't be one for me. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be honest, the zonal marking seems to be implemented very badly with no understanding who should attack the ball and who to keep their area. First goal sort of underlined that. It would serve us good if implemented decently