Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

They Will Be There Again Tonight.

Just now, Mello Yello said:

They'd sell really well if they had BOOO! embroidered on the reverse side......

Probably wouldn’t because the sort of person who buys a half and half scarf is unlikely to have invested much emotional energy into supporting their club.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Probably wouldn’t because the sort of person who buys a half and half scarf is unlikely to have invested much emotional energy into supporting their club.

'Chase Out!' embroidered on the reverse side then?......Maybe 'Eat at Yellows' or for a selling light hot cakes and can't keep up with demand and an absolute humdinger....."You'll Never Walk Alone but Let's Be Avin' You!" ?

They wouldn't make them if they didn't sell and if people want to buy them, that is up to them. 

I wouldn't normally buy one, but I did when I got a seat in the ManUtd crowd at Old Trafford, for two reasons -

A) I didn't want to appear too tribal in amongst the Man Utd fans

B) I was kind of aware that might be the only time I would be able to get a ticket there (it cost me £85 then) so it seemed a good idea at the time.

I wore it at that match and never wore it again because it was a one off event for me - and it soon disappeared, no idea what happened to it. 

I'm not proud of it and wouldn't get one again, but each to their own.

Live and let live (unless it's to do with booing 😉)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

'Chase Out!' embroidered on the reverse side then?......Maybe 'Eat at Yellows' or for a selling light hot cakes and can't keep up with demand and an absolute humdinger....."You'll Never Walk Alone but Let's Be Avin' You!" ?

Yep, gotta admit, that one I put in italics is bloody funny to be fair!

41 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

They wouldn't make them if they didn't sell and if people want to buy them, that is up to them. 

I wouldn't normally buy one, but I did when I got a seat in the ManUtd crowd at Old Trafford, for two reasons -

B) I was kind of aware that might be the only time I would be able to get a ticket there (it cost me £85 then) so it seemed a good idea at the time.

I wore it at that match and never wore it again because it was a one off event for me - and it soon disappeared, no idea what happened to it. 

I don't know why particularly this bit made me titter...

26 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I don't know why particularly this bit made me titter...

I think the bone  through his nose, the drum, blow pipe, and fire 🔥 sticks may have been more of a giveaway than a scarf... not to mention THAT corked  hat.

• Haha 1

What's wrong with collecting souvenirs of seeing the club you love?  Nothing to do with supporting both teams like some people claim.

If ticket prices were this much when I was a kid, I'd probably be limited to only seeing my team live a few times a season as had 2 brothers, and we'd all love a souvenir from a day out like that.  Probably wouldn't have got one though. 🙂

How about buying souvenir programmes that has the other team on the front and inside? Is that frowned upon by the elite too?  Pathetic.  Let people do what makes them happy and stop being such snobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Haha, an armchair supporter living in the Lake District who gains his insights into team performances through highlights on the internet and who admits to buying a half and half scarf chastises those who actually attend matches for daring to boo.

42 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Haha, an armchair supporter living in the Lake District who gains his insights into team performances through highlights on the internet and who admits to buying a half and half scarf chastises those who actually attend matches for daring to boo.

Yeah, ha ha, but then there's all sorts of supporters all over the world who have history with the club and as is known, up until the pandemic I would attend home and away matches whenever I could, in varying degrees - and for the last 40 years too, so I reckon I know enough about the ups and downs of our club and when it is appropriate to boo or not to boo.

Like I said - live and let live - unless it is to the detriment of our club  - and it is totally clear that booing is unhelpful and that players can be affected badly by it. Halfy-half scarves are there for whoever wants to buy them and people do for whatever reason - and tbh I'd far rather stand or sit next to twenty people with halfy-half scarves on than next to one person who boos.  No actually, make that 100 people.

Booing ingrates who boo substitutions because they think they are being hard done by through their own ignorance is pretty ugly to be honest - and so is the looking down your nose at supporters who choose to buy a souvenir of a match.  Some might even collect half and half scarves over a season so they can look back and remember every game of the season and an indication they went to every match. Live and let live. Support and actually support. 

Edited by lake district canary

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Booing ingrates who boo substitutions because they think they are being hard done by through their own ignorance is pretty ugly to be honest - and so is the looking down your nose at supporters who choose to buy a souvenir of a match.

I didn't want to post this on the other thread but in my looking onto the subject since the weekend I found some interesting research into the psychology of sports fans and why they behave as they do. 

The article suggests that being a fan fulfils a need to be part of a group and to be a fan of a winning team feeds self-esteem needs. Consistent defeat damages their own sense of self-worth which is particularly the case in those in whom it is low in any case.

Of course, the research could be b*ll*x, and it may not apply to any posters on here but a psychologist might make a lot of responses that some have admitted openly are "visceral." It is interesting to look at some of the responses from this perspective and even more so if you ever venture into football posting on Twitter. I wouldn't advise posting though - only consensus opinions are allowed and the level of bile is astonishing. I have not been to Facebook football pages for ages but I am told that it is as bad as Twitter. I think that a study of "what lies beneath" sports posting on social media would be very interesting. I've never bought a half and half scarf myself, but I do buy a programme even though I can get all the information I need from the internet - I wonder why this is not considered to be so bad?

Seems to be a degree of acceptance that there is nothing wrong with purchasing these scarves from wide boy street traders who pop up on Riverside and around the ground probably with no licence to trade from the city council as opposed to buying official merchandise from the club shop which goes into the club coffers.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've never bought a half and half scarf myself, but I do buy a programme even though I can get all the information I need from the internet - I wonder why this is not considered to be so bad?

I’m guessing but going back a few years you needed a programme to know who was playing so it’s far more traditional and serves a purpose compared to a scarf celebrating one match

Edited by FenwayFrank

Many years ago a Scouser tried to sell me a Vitesse Arnhem v Norwich t shirt in Holland. He wanted €5 so I declined but I bought one for €1 on the way out. You're never more than 10 yards from one of them 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Many years ago a Scouser tried to sell me a Vitesse Arnhem v Norwich t shirt in Holland. He wanted €5 so I declined but I bought one for €1 on the way out. You're never more than 10 yards from one of them 

Scousers? 

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

What's wrong with collecting souvenirs of seeing the club you love?  Nothing to do with supporting both teams like some people claim.

If ticket prices were this much when I was a kid, I'd probably be limited to only seeing my team live a few times a season as had 2 brothers, and we'd all love a souvenir from a day out like that.  Probably wouldn't have got one though. 🙂

How about buying souvenir programmes that has the other team on the front and inside? Is that frowned upon by the elite too?  Pathetic.  Let people do what makes them happy and stop being such snobs.

100 % Wingso !!!!Too many people live by dogma  and the funniest  part of it is is that they miss out on so much by doing so. Keep an open mind and the doors of life stay open too.🧘‍♂️

Edited by wcorkcanary

56 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Seems to be a degree of acceptance that there is nothing wrong with purchasing these scarves from wide boy street traders who pop up on Riverside and around the ground probably with no licence to trade from the city council as opposed to buying official merchandise from the club shop which goes into the club coffers.

Boys in blue turned a blind eye to stewards letting fans into Carrow Road at cutprice 'cash' deals on the gates back in the day, that was somehow acceptable?  Odd logic to me, but you're the expert.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

They are here. £10. Doing a decent trade . 

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I can hear those curtains  twitching  from another country. 

😇😉👍

Edited by wcorkcanary

I suppose we can console ourselves with the knowledge that the binners/reds scum half and half’s are quietly collecting years of dust in a warehouse someplace….