Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

I'm sick of this yo-yo team label.

Yes, we ARE a yo-yo team, but so is half the Premier League. 

With the exception of a few seemingly permanent residents, mostly from the large metropolises, all clubs fluctuate up and down the divisions, and always have. The statistic that we hold the record for PL relegations is true, but only because we are successful in quickly regaining promotion. Perhaps we should have stayed in the second tier for donkey's years, then we could be a big team like Leeds or Derby. 

Most teams promoted to the PL only stay for a few seasons, often just one or two, so why are 'little old Norwich' always being singled out as the embarrassing team who have no right to be in the PL? Our success in the second tier gives us the undisputed right to be promoted. If we go back down again because the gulf between the leagues is too great, then so be it. We are no different to any other team in climbing and dropping -  we are just more successful than most at quickly recovering from relegation.

Nearly all clubs are yo-yo clubs.... we just have a shorter string!

Edited by Sooty57
blooming' auto-correct
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

Nearly all clubs are yo-yo clubs.... we just have a shorter string!

Great metaphor!👍

• Like 1

I have a friend who has supported Spurs for years. He was taking the Mickey out of us and saying he would hate to support a team like Norwich that couldn't sustain a spell in the top flight. I then pointed out to him that every couple of years we have an exciting promotion push, and when was the last time Spurs won any silverware, or were ever likely to?

He had no answer 😁

The not-so funny thing is, should we manage to hold ourselves in this division for a couple, even three seasons, we'll still likely get relegated at some point and it'll be even more unacceptable to the fans than it is now. But it's a reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

I have a friend who has supported Spurs for years. He was taking the Mickey out of us and saying he would hate to support a team like Norwich that couldn't sustain a spell in the top flight. I then pointed out to him that every couple of years we have an exciting promotion push, and when was the last time Spurs won any silverware, or were ever likely to?

He had no answer 😁

Quite right, it's much more fun than desperately clinging on season after season in the Premier League.

The last decade and a half has been a most enjoyable time IMO.

• Like 1