Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Farke - "We were the best team in the second half"

WTF is he talking about. What game was he watching? Watford looked dangerous on every attack. We looked clueless. Just admit that it was a write off. Apologise. Make it right.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Thanks 1

What he is clearly saying is that we were the better team in the second half up until they scored the second. Hence why he talks about their second goal totally changing the momentum of the game. We clearly were the better side for the period of the second half up until they scored - and their second goal when it came was totally against the run of play at that point. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

WTF is he talking about. What game was he watching? Watford looked dangerous on every attack. We looked clueless. Just admit that it was a write off. Apologise. Make it right.

Here here wouldn't that be refreshing

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

What he is clearly saying is that we were the better team in the second half up until they scored the second. Hence why he talks about their second goal totally changing the momentum of the game. We clearly were the better side for the period of the second half up until they scored - and their second goal when it came was totally against the run of play at that point. 

Stop actually putting what's said into context. Wont go down well.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We had an OK 10 mins at the start of the 2nd half. That's it

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Are you writing Daniel’s post match quotes this season Hoggy? 

Oooh I wouldn't have thought so. He's far more eloquent, intelligent and tactically aware than me. I'd embarrass him ☺

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oooh I wouldn't have thought so. He's far more eloquent, intelligent and tactically aware than me. I'd embarrass him ☺

He's not going to shag you.

He’s kind of right in that we started the half well and had we got a pen as we should have then who knows. The problem is that like last time, you can play well in spells sbd look decent (which we do) but if you then concede two ir three soft goals every game because you cannot do basic defending even close to well then it will undermine everything. How often last time we were up did we have the better of the first 20 minutes only to then go and concede a ridiculously soft goal from the oppositions first meaningful (usually counter) attack?

8 hours ago, Move Klose said:

We had an OK 10 mins at the start of the 2nd half. That's it

To be fair that’s better than normal as we usually come out after half time looking like we’ve been smoking spliffs. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

He’s kind of right in that we started the half well and had we got a pen as we should have then who knows. The problem is that like last time, you can play well in spells sbd look decent (which we do) but if you then concede two ir three soft goals every game because you cannot do basic defending even close to well then it will undermine everything. How often last time we were up did we have the better of the first 20 minutes only to then go and concede a ridiculously soft goal from the oppositions first meaningful (usually counter) attack?

We started the second half well, unusually well actually, we came out quicker and engaged the press far better than we typically do at the start of second halfs.

Like you say, the sort of soft goals we're conceding makes it impossible to really judge as a whole. Had we got that pen then at 2-1 the confidence is up and things are looking good. The problem is the sort of goals we're conceding aren't really anything to do with confidence, it's just abysmal team defending. 

I hope that once Normann, Kabak etc are up to speed we'll be capable of grinding out defensive displays where we only need one goal to win a match. We're asking too much of a relatively new attack to need to score 2 or 3 goals just to take a point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We started the second half well, unusually well actually, we came out quicker and engaged the press far better than we typically do at the start of second halfs.

Like you say, the sort of soft goals we're conceding makes it impossible to really judge as a whole. Had we got that pen then at 2-1 the confidence is up and things are looking good. The problem is the sort of goals we're conceding aren't really anything to do with confidence, it's just abysmal team defending. 

I hope that once Normann, Kabak etc are up to speed we'll be capable of grinding out defensive displays where we only need one goal to win a match. We're asking too much of a relatively new attack to need to score 2 or 3 goals just to take a point.

Yes and its exactly what happened last time. We would play well for periods, usually miss a couple of chances (or half chances) and be right in the game but then concede out of nowhere, usually due to a counter attack slicing through us or a defensive error. Its just utterly ruthless at this level if you give the opposition chances. 

I think our defensive improvement last season was a bit of a myth although Skipp helped make us less easy to play/run through. We were still making these sorts of errors just not getting punished for them very often.

Take out the moments of poor defending and there is probably not as much wrong with that performance on saturday as is being made out. We were competitive and in the game throughout albeit you always felt we looked vulnerable to their pace on the counter. We need to set up to stop leaving ourselves as vulnerable on the counter and just do the basics properly. I don't feel they are drilled well enough and would hope that the back 4/5 this week spend the entire week just doing defensive marking drills over and over again. I want to see a full strength back four against Liverpool as I feel they need to settle and build an understanding as a unit. I didnt like the decision to drop Big Andy for a half fit Kabak as I felt he and Hanley played well together last week and as it happens Kabak's lack of sharpness arguably costs us a couple of goals but if the view is that is going to be our first choice partnership then they need to play together regularly now.