Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

We haven’t signed good enough players!

The truth is most of us hadn’t heard of most of the guys we signed in the summer before we signed them and we’re now seeing why! 

yes yes LDC and his band of merry men will tell you they haven’t “Gelled” yet blah blah blah but surely by now we’d have seen something from some of them. Some glimpses of what will come, some little cameos, a bit of sublime skill here and there amongst the putrid mess that has been this season so far.

But what have we seen really  very very little. A nice pass to put Pukki in yesterday by Norman maybe (pity he could be as bothered to track back for their second) some decent energy and running from Sargent first half yesterday. A great block from Williams against Arsenal but come on where’s the flair, the flashes of brilliance, the commanding performance?  

We’ve not seen it, because it’s not there. Watching yesterday was like watching a good championship side play a lower premiership side and all the differences that that brings we’re evident to see. They had MORE pace, power, strength, vision, tactical awareness and dare I say it ability. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Iwan, Vrancic, among many others all had poor starts before improving.

Let's not be so fast to rush to judgment.

Took Vrancic a season to find his feet, we don’t have a season. 

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Took Iwan a year too. 

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

They can’t all be slow starters surely!

Shouldn't forget that whilst we have spent more in total than ever before we have 'only' progressed to signing £10M players whilst the rest of the league are spending double that on individuals at least.

We still have to be greater than the sum of our parts and we can only pray that more time on the training pitch and more gelling will improve us.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

Whether we've heard of them is irrelevant. 

Kabak and Normann have played one game, Sargent has one start, Tzolis similar. Rashica has looked a threat but not on the same wavelength as his teammates. Williams really struggled yesterday though I agree. 

I know we can't give them all a season to get going but we can give them more than one game before making a judgement... 

• Like 7

Just now, nutty nigel said:

How many of you had heard of Teemu or Emi when they signed?

Yeah I’d heard of Pukki. Not emi. But that’s not really the problem is it. That’s just a now I see why. Were you there yesterday. Did you see any glimpses of the great things to come? I didn’t. 

1 minute ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Yeah I’d heard of Pukki. Not emi. But that’s not really the problem is it. That’s just a now I see why. Were you there yesterday. Did you see any glimpses of the great things to come? I didn’t. 

I was in the audience Housey. And it was disappointing.

If you had heard of Pukki I expect you were totally unimpressed with his signing.

4 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Shouldn't forget that whilst we have spent more in total than ever before we have 'only' progressed to signing £10M players whilst the rest of the league are spending double that on individuals at least.

We still have to be greater than the sum of our parts and we can only pray that more time on the training pitch and more gelling will improve us.

Problem is I can’t  see more time on the training pitch and more gelling making many of them stronger, faster, bigger, and that a larger part of the problem. Bullied bythe lower sides out played and out skilled but the top sides. 

The expectations were great because we spent so much and, on paper, some of the new boys had so much promise. But if they’re not gelling how can they show their promise??

2 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Problem is I can’t  see more time on the training pitch and more gelling making many of them stronger, faster, bigger, and that a larger part of the problem. Bullied bythe lower sides out played and out skilled but the top sides. 

I know ... but that's the only glimmer of hope that I have left!

I'm already braced for watching Burnley, Palace and West Ham swatting us aside like pixies as they did in 2019/20. We needed to bring in a thug or two at DM.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I was in the audience Housey. And it was disappointing.

If you had heard of Pukki I expect you were totally unimpressed with his signing.

Yeah maybe I was but it was up to him and the club to prove me wrong. It happened from the off! You could see from the off he was a good player. Made intelligent runs, positional awareness. You could see it. I’m yet to “see it” from our latest crop! 

Na, the squad isn't as bad as results and performances suggest. It has the potential to be competitive. Unfortunately the manager and coaching staff are completely out of their depth at this level.

All the best K. Scott.

1 minute ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I know ... but that's the only glimmer of hope that I have left!

I was like that after Project Restart and buried my head in the sand thinking to myself it’ll get better, we’ll turn a corner. I have a similar gut feeling now.

3 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Yeah maybe I was but it was up to him and the club to prove me wrong. It happened from the off! You could see from the off he was a good player. Made intelligent runs, positional awareness. You could see it. I’m yet to “see it” from our latest crop! 

It happened from the off with Pukki but it didn't with Emi or Krul for example. 

I saw some positive flickers from Normann, Sargent and Kabak yesterday. Not enough for me to be certain they'll be hits but enough for me to give them a few games before passing judgement. 

44 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Fans love to bang on about these signings as to suggest somehow that our recruitment team can do no wrong, and the next signing could be just as good. Let's look at the reality. These successes were a long time ago. The vast majority of our subsequent signings have been nothing like this level of quality. It's been 90% dross, in fact. Most of our signings have struggled to displace first team players. 

There is such a thing as luck, but it balances out in the end. Anomalies are just that. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Tzolis may turn out to be a good signing for the future...but surely £10m couod havd been better spent elsewhere for thd here and now

I think he's the best signing just not given enough game time which is stupid

I'd go further and say that the success of those particular signings led to an overconfidence not just from the fans, but from the board in our ability to recruit high quality replacements for proven players. Webber loves to cite what happened after the sale of Madison as an example of why we don't need to hang onto our stars. 

That overconfidence is perhaps why they didn't bother to try to hang on to Emi. They just assumed the lightning was going to strike twice when we replaced him. It's not looking that way so far, and we shouldn't be surprised. 

53 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

You want them bigger than Sargent, Kabak & Normann? Normann's the smallest, & he looks bigger & stronger than Skipp to me - though whether that makes him better we've yet to discover. Raschica's got legs like tree trunks & Tzolis doesn't look tiny either. And none looked slow.

The problem yesterday was lack of match fitness, & the only way to get that is to play matches. Farke's mistake was not pulling them earlier.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Kabak and Normann have played one game, Sargent has one start, Tzolis similar. Rashica has looked a threat but not on the same wavelength as his teammates. Williams really struggled yesterday though I agree. 

I know we can't give them all a season to get going but we can give them more than one game before making a judgement... 

I'm quoting your post in hope it'll be seen again because it appears its being casually ignored...

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Valid point but it’s a much different ball game settling in at Premier League level than Championship. The danger we have is that by the time they have settled in we will be cut adrift. Teemu, Emi and the rest had the relative luxury of being able to find their feet at a lower level. We need the new signings to pretty much hit the ground running at this level and that’s a big ask 

As I said in a thread yesterday, there's nothing wrong with our signings as individuals as they are good enough in their own right, but collectively they lack experience.

The two domestic loanees, Gilmour and Williams, are youngsters, specifically here to gain experience.

Kabak, Tzolis and Sargent are all very promising young talents but, like the two domestic loanees, they're all under 21.

The three older players (Lees-Melou, Normann, Rashica) are all mid-20s, but none have Premier League experience.

The only other new addition is Gunn, who is unlikely to feature much this season anyway.

The players we've signed are all fine as individuals, but as I said, they just lack experience as a collective unit and I think that showed in the second half yesterday as they had little answer when Watford started to get on top of us.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Typical Panglossian head-in-the-sand optimism from one of the happy clapper cheerleaders. If we end the season with more than ten points I will be amazed.

All the worst,

P Canary

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it's a little harsh as Nornann & Kabak have only had 1 game. Each [player will get sharper and the team will "gel" per game as the new players get used to each other. 

We've got more new players than we've ever brought in under any other window.

In terms of "gelling" Rashica & Sargent play together as has Tzol & Giann , and the hope, as we've spent approx £8m per player there (& £6m on latter, which is not small fry for us) is we can get all of them in the team pretty sharpish and playing together.

Time isn't with us, but there's a long way to go. Just hope Farke is brave enough to get them in quick  

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Typical Panglossian head-in-the-sand optimism from one of the happy clapper cheerleaders. If we end the season with more than ten points I will be amazed.

All the worst,

P Canary

Had to google panglossian as I was thinking 'I don't think pangolins are known for that...' '

• Haha 1