Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

Jimmy Greaves......RIP....

The nation gained a new sporting hero last weekend in young Emma and lost a legend this weekend.

RIP Jimmy.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

First became aware of Jimmy through the legendary 'Saint and Greavsie' on ITV when I was a mere slip of a lad. Watching S and G and then popping into the car to go to Carrow Road was a Saturday ritual for many a year. Only became aware of his amazing goal scoring abilities later on in life. A true legend of the game.

OTBC

A great goalscoring forward, who could run fast with the ball almost sticking to his boots.

Also a great wit, very dry. Made for good TV.

Maybe unlucky not to have played in the World Cup final 1966, but wouldn't dream of making a fuss. Old school.

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

Anyone fortunate enough to see Jimmy play?

I was at the Martin Peters testimonial and Jimmy is listed in the programme but I can't remember if he played. I don't remember much about the night except that Peters played a half for each team (not even convinced my memory about that is correct). 

Great broadcaster. I recall on Saint and Greavsey they were discussing our relegation in 1985  when Coventry played those last three games including a drunken Everton who had won the league. 

“Should be a stewards enquiry if you ask me Saint “ said Jimmy. I loved him even more after that . 

RIP . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Great bloke with a dry sense of humour. Moved to Falmouth for a while and the locals loved him.

And on top of that, he was the greatest, most underrated goalscorer of all time.

4 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

First became aware of Jimmy through the legendary 'Saint and Greavsie' on ITV

Same, loved that program especially and it coincided with some good Canaries seasons in the top flight, and Greavsie used to say nice things about us. 

RUP

As a player before my time, but I am aware of his record and ability. However, I watched Saint and Greavsie as a kid and as I got older enjoyed seeing him when he did TV appearances, had a good sense of humour and made me laugh.