There's no doubt the TV pundits are for the most part lazy. The tired old ex pro lineup was really exposed during the Euros by Emma Hayes the Chelsea Ladies boss . She actually bothered to give insights and technical explanations to back up her opinions. She was like the proverbial breath of fresh air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daly said:

That’s quite funny

Why? The point you referred to from the poster was that Norwich got promoted and sold our best player. You’ve then referred to Aston Villa doing the same so which player was their best player who they sold after being promoted? If you’re referring to Grealish then clearly they have spent a  couple of seasons in the PL and survived before selling him in the summer. There’s no comparison to be made there 

Edited by Virtual reality

Reminder - the costs to produce this programme (production, rights, ridiculous salaries for crusty irrelevant pundits, Gary Linekars £15k annual taxi bill) runs into the hundreds of millions of pounds. 

You can watch it for free on YouTube

For free, right after the game

Linekar also trying his best to avoid paying any tax as well

if you support match of the day, you support this.

it’s not even in the top 20 most viewed BBC shows

the whole thing, from the outside, looks like an elaborate tax evasion or money laundering operation.

A4B89D9E-7CBA-4841-A68B-750FDC0163CA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Truth hurts.....

No it doesn't, not when it comes from someone who clearly doesn't watch matches all the way through and just comes out with a put down, mainly because he hasn't done any research.  Is it really too much to actually expect a pundit to comment on the football? We all know we're not at the races yet and it doesn't take a genius to say we're pretty cr*p at the moment, but to actually comment on aspects of the game he's just seen would be nice - after all that is what a pundit is supposed to do.

The MOTD format makes it difficult IMO - you’ve got a load of games to shove into an hour and a half and it’s on BBC prime time - it’s not something you have on all afternoon in the background and just pay attention when you’re interested. If they did detailed analysis of each game, the show would be four hours long and everyone would be whinging that they want more highlights and less chat. 

For balance/contrast, Soccer Saturday’s prematch discussion spent a decent amount of time on us. Still all said they can’t see where we’re going to get a win this year and we aren’t any good, but also all mentioned how well run we are, and what a good club we are, especially in comparison to their earlier discussion of Derby. Of course Soccer Saturday is on for three hours before the games kick off and is structured very much to be left on in the background all day long…

17 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You told us this campaign would be better than the last in the premiership so there's hope you are right. Lakey..I think you would see positives if we lost every game in the league.

So did you after our signings. So let's hope you're right too.

Pundits will have been at best limited to only seeing highlights from our games. Hard to expect them to draw any conclusions beyond us being cannon fodder at this stage, in all honesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, I watched it, although I knew I shouldn't.  Was interested (why, I don't know) to hear what the pundits would say (even though I know they are a waste of space) and even with all that, I was still staggered at the moral ineptitude of Martin Keown's comments.  Wrote is off, dismissed us as a nothing team, not even a comment on the defence, or comments about new players, mistakes that players made etc......just a totally ignorant put down. 

Yes, I know, it's MOTD and what you'd expect and at the time I laughed and let it wash over me. But here's the thing - I woke up at 5.30 this morning and the first thing that came to my head were his words - and then I couldn't get them out of my head and I'm thinking - how is someone allowed to go on a flagship BBC football programme and offer nothing at all?  How morally bancrupt is it to write off a team in the way he did?  Was it just brutal truth - and if even so - is that really what MOTD is there for?  Is it wrong to think that someone who is there to comment on the game should actually do that, rather than just dismiss us in the way he did? 

Nil respect in my book and that was a new low for me. Even Shearer and Lineker are usually a bit more careful with what they say about us and other teams who are struggling - at least trying to offer something to give supporters of those clubs watching their programme a bit of hope or at least something of interest.  I know Keown is known for being like he is, but that was beyond the pale. 

We are down at the moment, but we are not out - and we will improve - but really, the BBC can and should do better.

Seriously what did you expect them to say. 

We are awfull, in all departments, if you think Martin keown is wrong then I'd love to know how he is.

• Like 1

All Martin Keown said was that, although not wanting to write us off too early in the season, he saw nothing to suggest we could stay in the PL this year.  Much as any true fan would like to, it is very hard to argue with that.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He wasn’t wrong LDC. We offer nothing at this level. We can’t defend, we’re toothless in attack, sure we can pass the ball sideways across the back line but we lack any kind of credible “threat” in this league, no team is worried about playing us, we’re a routine 3 points for anyone, even the sides we get promoted with.

Sadly true. He could’ve maybe said something about our new signings bedding in, just as a small caveat. But you have to say looking at our first five performances there has been very little to get behind and a whole load of things to be concerned about.

Overall I didn’t think his comments were especially harsh or scathing. Not sure why anyone would get offended by them when we have been rather **** so far this season! Don’t expect Martin Keown to look any deeper than that!

Well Keown, Lineker etc..... are in for a big shock. When this team gels we will be a joy to watch and definitely stay up.

Write us off at your peril Keown. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Aggy said:

The MOTD format makes it difficult IMO - you’ve got a load of games to shove into an hour and a half and it’s on BBC prime time - it’s not something you have on all afternoon in the background and just pay attention when you’re interested. If they did detailed analysis of each game, the show would be four hours long and everyone would be whinging that they want more highlights and less chat. 

I said something similar a couple of week back. MOTD has around 10-12 minutes per match, which doesn't leave enough time for highlights, reaction and analysis. They really need to focus on one (maybe two) of those areas and then save the rest for the iPlayer for whoever fancies it. Trying to do all three just seems rushed and there aren't enough highlights and there isn't a proper analysis.

MOTD is still relevant in 2021 despite the ease of access to instant, on-demand highlights as it's the most convenient way to tie up highlights of all games. However, it would be best if it's only highlights then a couple of short interviews, with the analysis reserved for a separate show, in my opinion.

Why would anyone get upset about what Keown said when he was absolutely right?

Just what do you expect him to say after 5 straight defeats? 15 in total at this level. 

Also, we don't look like a team of Premier League players. It doesn't matter the fact that they are Premier League players - he's saying we don't look like we are, and again, is spot on! 

It's going to be the longest and most miserable of seasons, so you'd better get used to more honesty from the pundits like this. I don't understand why some fans get so upset about it, do you expect them to be praising us? 

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I've watched it again and he was a bit more circumspect than I thought, but still think he could have commented on what actually happened in the match rather than a rather insulting "they don't look like premier league players".  They ARE premier league players, whether he thinks they look like it or not.

You're far too fragile Lakey.

Keown's comment seemed fair if brutal. On yesterday's showing it will be a long hard season. If you're going to get upset about things people say on MOTD the simple solution is don't watch it.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

All Martin Keown said was that, although not wanting to write us off too early in the season, he saw nothing to suggest we could stay in the PL this year.  Much as any true fan would like to, it is very hard to argue with that.

Indeed he did and I would have to agree, I have to work tomorrow with Villa, Wolves and Blues fans who I am sure will be saying much worse and I have no idea how to respond. 
Lakey has changed the wording slightly to fit his agenda, good job he does not look on social media, we are the butt of most jokes.

I've never seen anything from Keown in his career to suggest he is an expert. A dirty player fortunate to be playing in a good team, not good enough to be a manager. 

He's looked at brief highlights and stated the bleedin obvious. Perhaps he watched us last season, saw the quality of players like Hanley and Gilmour at international level or looked into the abilities of our new signings who are just settling in. Perhaps not. 

He'll be earning good money though for his insight. Alienated OAPs are now being chased down to help satisfy Lineker's money lust. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How dare they slag us off after 5 straight defeats. 

15 straight defeats as far as they are concerned- the championship doesn’t interest them. 

3 hours ago, MORDENCANARY said:

There's no doubt the TV pundits are for the most part lazy. The tired old ex pro lineup was really exposed during the Euros by Emma Hayes the Chelsea Ladies boss . She actually bothered to give insights and technical explanations to back up her opinions. She was like the proverbial breath of fresh air.

My god, she's the worst of the lot 😂. Banging on about her mate Appy Queta 😁

18 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

15 straight defeats as far as they are concerned- the championship doesn’t interest them. 

The 15 straight defeats has only really been mentioned by a section of our own 'supporters'

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The 15 straight defeats has only really been mentioned by a section of our own 'supporters'

It really hasn't, I've literally heard on every sports show/bulletin I've watched since yesterday 

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

image.thumb.png.89c91441507a7256e2e5056c73b2f105.png

image.png.55d940902a8e964428943afdb750bbdb.png

Yeah, totally just our supporters 👍🏻

It's a legit stat, get over it.

Edited by alex_ncfc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

They were spot on no way we will stay up with this team playing like that , none of them looked premiership players , Brentford are so much better looked quality 

Which is interesting because we were markedly better than them last year and they've only made a few additions to their squad.

They're playing 5-3-2, keeping it tight at the back and letting Toney and Mbeumo cause havoc.

Farke and the players need to do everything they can to keep a clean sheet; they have to show some fight win the ball. We haven't seen much of it yet this season.

4 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

BBC comments are spot on. We are a Premiership joke.Just as we were when Farke led us to relegation last time.  None of our players showed they were Premiership standard. None. We are the softest 3 points for any opposition in the league. What can be done? We have a policy of selling on our talent, leaving behind the players with no ambition, just making up the numbers and marking time while taking the money, or like Hanley gently seeing out the end of a career. All of this is true, it hurts to hear it, and the supporters deserve better. Hence booing at the end of the game.

At least with none of our players showing they're premier league standard nobody will buy them and we can come back up 🤪

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No it doesn't, not when it comes from someone who clearly doesn't watch matches all the way through and just comes out with a put down, mainly because he hasn't done any research.  Is it really too much to actually expect a pundit to comment on the football? We all know we're not at the races yet and it doesn't take a genius to say we're pretty cr*p at the moment, but to actually comment on aspects of the game he's just seen would be nice - after all that is what a pundit is supposed to do.

I watched the match all the way through and I agree with Keown's comments..... 

Avoid the MOTD so called pundits and their critique of NCFC in the PL, we are bereft of quality we know that better than these so called experts.  We try maybe not enough but this sniping is not going to improve confidence.  Just watched 90 mins replay on Sky Sports commentators not kind with City performance, but Ekoku could not understand referee giving Watford free kick for a foul on Aarons and not giving penalty shortly afterwards.  Not the first time the rookie ref made surprising decisions Hooper Mk 2 will not make a PL ref expect him to continue his education at Carrow.