Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Substitute criticism just wrong!!

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Neumann (???) Hardly ever plays 90 mins, was injured most of last season, and we know Sargent wasn't fully fit. 

People were pissed off Gilmour and Rashica were so useless but Farke is hamstrung by lack of fitness in the squad.

Gilmour didn't do very well tracking back for the 3rd goal, McLean hashed at the ball and gilmour just jogged back, barely broke into a sprint and when the ball went into the net didn't really react like he cared.... shame we hyped him so much and looks like he's not just upto at the minute.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

If he was going to take Sargent off then Idah was clearly the replacement and if Normann was flagging then a straight swap for Rupp was the obvious move. Taking off the two most physical players and replacing them with powder puffs killed the contest stone dead.

Agree entirely with Ricardo. If the players removed were tiring taking them off makes perfect sense even though they were the two best performers. However the choice of replacements looked at the time, and by the evidence of the rest of the game, the wrong choice and that’s on Farke.

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

Shame the truth hurts Werewolf, or whatever your name is - Ricardo may take the trouble to write a match report ( and often very good by the way) but if he lets emotion get in the way of logic and insight he also needs to be called out. Go and ground together in the corner of the playground and see if you youngsters can come up with something supportive of the team, rather than just throw stones at them which helps them not!! 

You’ve got to have thick skin Rhino init. 

Come on you guys.
Even respected posters or moderaters can be criticised.On most other forums it would be logged as banter.Is it really worth getting all het up about.

4 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

What about Idahs introduction on 88 minutes? What's Idah supposed to do there?

We lack physical presence up front but thought Josh changed that a but yesterday. Maybe playing Adam and Josh as strikers may work. Love Teemu but in the PL we need more physicality. 

......and Sorensen as DM !

20 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

......and Sorensen as DM !

On yesterdays showing,fit or not,he would be no worse than Normann

Even Rupp.At least he would have tried to stop the second

Edited by Grumpy

I feel it's one of those tricky ones, where if Farke had opted for like-for-like switches we would be hearing how his subs didn't give us anything different.

That being said, I agree in the case of Sargent - Idah as having the physical presence up top brought a lot of our best moments. Tzolis in himself is not powder puff, but the nature of the sub (going to a 2 in CM with two players not naturally inclined to defend) definitely affected our stability.

3 hours ago, chicken said:

I agree with the Chris and Jack Reeve - I have just had one of them try and turn their fanbase on me on twitter for daring to criticise them and suggest that some of what they have been saying was what Farke was challenging.

It's funny how some think that criticism is a one way street.

I'm glad you mention that criticism should work both ways. 

The praise for the coaching staff and the players last season was warranted and plentiful.

But there is no praise to be handed out right now. Apart from the odd individual performance that is.

For instance, many supporters were highly critical of Gilmour yesterday. Yet the BBC rated him our best player. 

So while some express their disappointment in words of one syllable, others, with their own optimism, still see green shoots.

Lets face it, we get out of it what we want.

Edited by keelansgrandad

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

If he was going to take Sargent off then Idah was clearly the replacement and if Normann was flagging then a straight swap for Rupp was the obvious move. Taking off the two most physical players and replacing them with powder puffs killed the contest stone dead.

Absolutely ricardo. Though one of the main criticisms of Rupp on here is an alleged lack of physicality; reading some of them you'd get the impression he was some sort of midget (with Todd's physique to boot). It's not something I've ever noticed.

Personally I wouldn't have started with Todd over Gilmour. Undoubtedly a classy player, but no more creative than Todd & doesn't seem prepared to chase the opposition down in the way Todd does.

40 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For instance, many supporters were highly critical of Gilmour yesterday. Yet the BBC rated him our best player. 

That's an online vote though isn't it? He'll always win that for the same reason Skipp always did last season. 

52 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm glad you mention that criticism should work both ways. 

The praise for the coaching staff and the players last season was warranted and plentiful.

But there is no praise to be handed out right now. Apart from the odd individual performance that is.

So while some express their disappointment in words of one syllable, others, with their own optimism, still see green shoots.

Lets face it, we get out of it what we want.

Yup, you won't find me defending anything after yesterday. Had a long chat with my father in law, as we do after most games. Both of us despondent, I always try to remain hopeful. That doesn't mean I don't recognise the issues or problems - just that who wants to follow - watch or listen - a club or team of any sport if it just makes you miserable?

In this weeks conversation I said that the longer this run goes on, the more questions there are of Farke. It's well known that Webber and Farke have signed players based upon stats as well as traditional scouting and I still believe that Farke was right to defend his players.

How many games do we go on saying, Sargent looks great, Rashica certainly has quality but consistency is an issue, Tzolis is fantastic but goes quiet, PLM has a great range of passing, Kabak looks a unit, Williams certainly has pace and bite, Gilmore is a great passer of the ball, etc etc etc. None of this matters if they are not knitting together. And for me that is the No.1 issue right now. Where so much has seemed almost natural to the side in recent seasons, even when we were relegated before, we could put together fantastic periods of possession, but struggle to turn it into goals with an injured Pukki and limited options wide. And poor set pieces.

We have all of those options now and we have changed formation, I'm not sure I get why.

Krul
Aarons, Kabak/Hanley, Gibson/Omobamidele, Williams
PLM, Normann
Rashica, Sargent, Tzolis
Pukki.

Get Sargent to take on the Stiepermann role. No one has really said it, but next to Buendia, we have really struggled without that player to get up and support Pukki, to distract defenders so Pukki can make intelligent runs. Yesterday we had that at times. Get back the old formation established players know and understand and are confident with. PLM is a captain, get him barking orders in the middle alongside Normann.

We have nothing to lose at this point. We have tried the same formation with a variety of players in different positions. Try something different is the way forwards I feel. I can't see that anyone can justifiably blame the players if this continues.