Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Next manager will be Russell Martin

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Obviously congratulations to him for promotion. However my god he’s made heavy weather of it. 

out of all the relegated teams Southampton were in the best place for an immediate return, a complete mess at Leicester and Leeds needed a rebuild under Farke, yet Martin somehow managed to f up automatic promotion with one of the strongest squad in championship history. 

yes great the end goal of promotion was gained but you could still argue he very much under achieved 

Think this is harsh, Yobo.. it’s fine to acknowledge that they could/should have done better with their quality .
But when has paper superiority been a guarantee of winning first time? It often does the trick but not every occasion , and that may not be down to the manager as there’s a host of factors he can’t impact.

He’s relatively fresh in the management game and it’s been his first season with Saints .. this makes it 1/1 for promotions gained/attempted . Even some of those who went on to be our best haven’t achieved their best in year 1.

In any case he earned his appointment, having been deemed by their owner to be suited to leading what you feel was among the best championship teams ever. Job done, no matter how.

Edited by GenerationA47

I hope Martin does well but I think his Southampton side will fair worse than Leicester and Ipswich. 

He’ll try to out-football the superior prem teams and come-a-cropper like Kompany did - Real Madrid manager this time next year then!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Obviously congratulations to him for promotion. However my god he’s made heavy weather of it. 

out of all the relegated teams Southampton were in the best place for an immediate return, a complete mess at Leicester and Leeds needed a rebuild under Farke, yet Martin somehow managed to f up automatic promotion with one of the strongest squad in championship history. 

yes great the end goal of promotion was gained but you could still argue he very much under achieved 

Yeah, I'm not sure that being unconvinced that Russell Martin would have been an upgrade on DF in 2021 is that embarrassing an opinion.

Surprised to see the number of people keen on Lampard, though.

[braces self for unearthing of an embarrassing past post...]

23 hours ago, hogesar said:

Basically, none of us know anything and this forum is therefore a complete waste 😅

Ah, but we get to show off about how stupid we are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The EPL will chew up Martin and spit him out. 

Never had a clue about defending, as a player or manager. Just stopped running in that 0-5 vs Brighton.

Yet good at pointy finger though.

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

There are some posters on here who do that multiple times a day!

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

There are some posters on here who do that multiple times a day!

Ditto

Edited by LaUnionCanary

15 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

All this thread has done is remind me how much i miss TVB.....

Me too, now he was a keyboard warrior.

34 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

All this thread has done is remind me how much i miss TVB.....

Is the answer not even a little bit?

• Haha 1

Miss TVB? You must be kidding. I miss Morty, though.

On topic, I don't think the Southampton squad was anywhere near as strong as Leicester's or Leeds's once the dust settled on the transfer window. Plus, getting a completely new way to play and still getting promoted would be impressive for a certain new coach of ours, would it not?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, there are the stupid who know they’re stupid, the stupid who others know are stupid, the stupid who are the only ones who know they’re stupid and those who don’t (yet) appear to be stupid.

But I’ve already had a warning, so I ain’t naming any names. 

9 hours ago, Big Vince said:

The EPL will chew up Martin and spit him out. 

Never had a clue about defending, as a player or manager. Just stopped running in that 0-5 vs Brighton.

Yet good at pointy finger though.

Possibly. However, R Martin did a job on the 'God' Farke not once, not twice but three times last season in fact. Tactics were spot on at Wembley. He may well do a better job than you think.

I went to the 5-0 thrashing. Lots had stopped running before R Martin but he was certainly sticking his finger in colleagues faces I agree! 

16 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, there are the stupid who know they’re stupid, the stupid who others know are stupid, the stupid who are the only ones who know they’re stupid and those who don’t (yet) appear to be stupid.

But I’ve already had a warning, so I ain’t naming any names. 

I've had a three week ban for pointing out someones disingenuous bullshoite nuffo, aparently i was abusive.... Moi? abusive?

but i really dont care, i got lots of little jobs done around Corkio Castle when i would have been dossing on here, even had the time to instruct the servants to drain the moat with thimbles and polish the priceless koi carp.

fear not the moderator, im sure theyre as sick of somebobodies whining,  just like the club, the ombudsman and nearly every member of this board...except one of course.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

polish the priceless koi carp.

Is that a euphemism? I’m trying not to imagine what it might mean…

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Is that a euphemism? I’m trying not to imagine what it might mean…

Nothing as deep or amusing as that Nuffo, its just something uneccessary and demeaning that us landed gentry get our servants to do , well, you know, because we can. they don't really mind, as its a bank holiday.

Edited by wcorkcanary