lake district canary

Booing is and always will be tin-pot

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I still say there is a big difference between booing a player during the match (unless their name is Booth or Boot 😉 ) and a loud boo after the final whistle to show dissatisfaction for a collective poor display.  And nothing anyone else says will change my kind.

This is despite the fact I booed at the end of a boring 0-0 draw at the Nou Camp, Barbara v Villareal.  The locals all started to harangue me.  Until they realised I was English and told me the way to express your displeasure was to wave a white hanky around in the air!  So should I do that instead?

Maybe we should all put a white mask on to show our displeasure at how much a performance stunk.

.....and then boo.

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Until they realised I was English and told me the way to express your displeasure was to wave a white hanky around in the air!  So should I do that instead?

I'm not sure that this is a good idea in the current medical environment! 🤧

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I still say there is a big difference between booing a player during the match (unless their name is Booth or Boot 😉 ) and a loud boo after the final whistle to show dissatisfaction for a collective poor display.  And nothing anyone else says will change my kind.

This is despite the fact I booed at the end of a boring 0-0 draw at the Nou Camp, Barbara v Villareal.  The locals all started to harangue me.  Until they realised I was English and told me the way to express your displeasure was to wave a white hanky around in the air!  So should I do that instead?

Tough school! I'd have thought that Barbara fans would be delighted that she'd held Villarreal to a goalless draw...

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Tough school! I'd have thought that Barbara fans would be delighted that she'd held Villarreal to a goalless draw...

Ha!

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

And when you do successfully get a sausage roll from the bakery, do you start clapping, cheering and singing about how good their sausage rolls are (or how **** the Ipswich sausage rolls are)? 

Or would that also be totally ridiculous and socially inappropriate?

A perfect summation of why the 'you wouldn't boo in Argos/Nandos/the local pub' argument is so silly. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

A perfect summation of why the 'you wouldn't boo in Argos/Nandos/the local pub' argument is so silly. 

Honestly - in what other circumstances have you booed those that you claim to love?

Wasn't going to comment on this thread but my threshold for blast off has been reached.

If people want to boo, clap or stay silent, that's their choice.

Emotions are not negative or positive - it's just as important to be able to get angry or sad as it is to get happy and excited; anybody with even the faintest knowledge of mental heath would be aware of that.

Mental health problems often develop when people feel that they can't get sad or angry exactly because others see that as somehow bad or negative even though it is 100% essential to everyone's well-being.

If you don't like fans booing/clapping/staying silent, fair enough, say so, it's a free world. But don't tell people how to feel.

OTBC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Except, of course, you didn’t.

That said, if every time you went in they didn’t have any sausage rolls then you’d probably start to question their ability to run a bakery at the highest level.  

If I was that unhappy,  I'd  try another Bakery.  

That analogy has led us to the old  go support  'X'  then, retort. 

Or is the original Bakery  ' in your blood' , so you have no choice but   to return time and time  again no matter how dissatisfied your are with their product.?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Honestly - in what other circumstances have you booed those that you claim to love?

Where else would you clap, when you you were so letdown / disappointed? Anyway, never has one inconsequential subject been granted so much time and effort... 

30 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Where else would you clap, when you you were so letdown / disappointed? Anyway, never has one inconsequential subject been granted so much time and effort... 

1. I think most of us club constantly things we're not very impressed at. Goodness knows how many boring speeches I've had to sit through, and clap politely at the end.

2. I don't think it is inconsequential, that's the point. I think it damages already fragile confidence and risks making a bad start into something worse. 

53 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Emotions are not negative or positive - it's just as important to be able to get angry or sad as it is to get happy and excited; anybody with even the faintest knowledge of mental heath would be aware of that.

Mental health problems often develop when people feel that they can't get sad or angry exactly because others see that as somehow bad or negative even though it is 100% essential to everyone's well-being.

It's not the emotions that are the problem, it's the way that people react to those emotions that is the issue. No one should bottle up emotions, but you can learn to accept those emotions - good or bad - without over reacting to them - and booing during a match and even afterwards, imo, is an over reaction.  I am pretty sure that every person in the stadium and watching anywhere was pretty upset and disappointed at the Watford game, but only a few of them booed during the match and a few more afterwards.  All it needs is a little self-control and to think how booing will affect others - and as many people have said, booing is unhelpful when a team - especially a young team - is trying it's hardest to achieve. 

Mental health? Learning to deal with emotions without letting them get out of hand is a key part of that.

To be honest I'm surprised we are where we are at right now. On Saturday we had the situation where two players were making their debuts. Two big signings that we'd chased all through the window. We know part of "the sell" is a passionate Carrow road  but their introduction to this was to be booed off.

Is it helpful?

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

To be honest I'm surprised we are where we are at right now. On Saturday we had the situation where two players were making their debuts. Two big signings that we'd chased all through the window. We know part of "the sell" is a passionate Carrow road  but their introduction to this was to be booed off.

Is it helpful?

If booing was helpful, it begs the question why we don’t do it all game.

I suppose there is still time….

• Like 1

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

If booing was helpful, it begs the question why we don’t do it all game.

I suppose there is still time….

Interesting question - any answers?

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Is possible to have too much of a good thing maybe. Brushing your teeth is good for you but you wouldn’t do it all the time would you.

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Getting up and walking out early isn’t helpful.

Sitting silently isn’t helpful.

Groaning when a player misplaces a pass isn’t helpful.

If it’s going to cause upset whenever supporters do anything that isn’t helpful there’s plenty more examples.

I doubt groans over a misplaced pass would have any effect. I see players moan themselves for misplacing a pass and acknowledge it to their team mates.

Being booed off on your debut is a different thing. Or it is to me.

Surely we want those players to succeed and even if we don't they deserve more than one game to fail.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I doubt groans over a misplaced pass would have any effect. I see players moan themselves for misplacing a pass and acknowledge it to their team mates.

Being booed off on your debut is a different thing. Or it is to me.

Surely we want those players to succeed and even if we don't they deserve more than one game to fail.

I totally get that argument Nutty, it wasn’t a great experience for them, not denying that personally.

But you don’t think Carrow Road emptying before the final whistle had an affect on them?

You don’t think the fact from goal 3 the home crowd was pretty much silent had an affect?

It was a stinker of a result and performance, they know that and how the crowd felt regardless of any boos.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's not the emotions that are the problem, it's the way that people react to those emotions that is the issue. No one should bottle up emotions, but you can learn to accept those emotions - good or bad - without over reacting to them - and booing during a match and even afterwards, imo, is an over reaction.  I am pretty sure that every person in the stadium and watching anywhere was pretty upset and disappointed at the Watford game, but only a few of them booed during the match and a few more afterwards.  All it needs is a little self-control and to think how booing will affect others - and as many people have said, booing is unhelpful when a team - especially a young team - is trying it's hardest to achieve. 

Mental health? Learning to deal with emotions without letting them get out of hand is a key part of that.

You just don't get it Lakey.

I wish I could make you understand. Sigh.

OTBC

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

Worth noting that Kabaks Anfield debut was a 2-0 loss in the local derby to Everton, during a historic run of games without a win at home for Liverpool. 

So I can't imagine he is a total stranger to a negative crowd reaction in that position...

I doubt that experience helped him considering there were no fans last season.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I doubt that experience helped him considering there were no fans last season.

Ah. For ****s sake that must be the stupidest thing I've ever posted. Embarrassed. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Teeth would probably be in better nick if people did it more often.

So you are saying people should boo more... 😏

7 hours ago, Monty13 said:

But you don’t think Carrow Road emptying before the final whistle had an affect on them?

You don’t think the fact from goal 3 the home crowd was pretty much silent had an affect?

I have produced evidence of how booing, affects players and makes them play worse. Even the very top players have said so.

Can you provide similar evidence that fans leaving early negatively affects performance?

Booing makes players perform worse: no matter how hard you try to escape this, it remains a fact.

You are trying to justify something that is damaging to the players confidence and performance: you can't!

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have produced evidence of how booing, affects players and makes them play worse. Even the very top players have said so.

Can you provide similar evidence that fans leaving early negatively affects performance?

Booing makes players perform worse: no matter how hard you try to escape this, it remains a fact.

You are trying to justify something that is damaging to the players confidence and performance: you can't!

I’m not trying to escape that it may have a negative affect. However given I only understand and have time for anyone booing after the game there’s plenty of time for players to reflect and move on from that experience in my opinion.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-fans-leaving-anfield-10409998

Klopp made a point about people leaving early and it’s negative affect on him and it made quite a stir. That’s because it’s something that happens in football that we don’t particularly reflect on the impact on because it’s so common.

Doesn’t change the fact that any reflection on it can only conclude it’s impact is negative, it’s not a positive or neutral act, it has a very clear message. 

I just find the obsession over booing when crowds are actively encouraged to be highly emotional and individuals will then respond negatively to dissatisfaction in different ways a bit pointless personally. It just smacks of people trying to impose that they are a better type of supporter and diminishes the fact that someone who boos emotionally at the end of the match may well have given their all in emotional positive support for 90 mins previously.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Ah. For ****s sake that must be the stupidest thing I've ever posted. Embarrassed. 

Part of me wanted to let it go because the point is valid (I'm sure Kabak has been boo'd by more hostile supporters before) but I couldn't resist.

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I just find the obsession over booing when crowds are actively encouraged to be highly emotional and individuals will then respond negatively to dissatisfaction in different ways a bit pointless personally. It just smacks of people trying to impose that they are a better type of supporter and diminishes the fact that someone who boos emotionally at the end of the match may well have given their all in emotional positive support for 90 mins previously.

Emotions are emotions and that is fine, but booing - as I tried to explain it earlier to DDJ - is a reaction to an emotion which you choose to do - it is a choice. 

We all get emotional at all sorts of different times and for different reasons, but how we respond to those emotions is what is important. People seem to think that if they don't "let it out" in some way that they are bottling their emotions up, but in reality we all have to deal with our emotions in a way that is healthy and if your emotions cause you to act in a way that is damaging to others, then you have let the emotion take you over - and everyone that is the subject of being booed says it is not helpful and that it could even be damaging to a young player's confidence - so why do it?  What is the beneft of it? 

Booing the opposition would make much more sense.