Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Watford

We arrived well before time and with our CR codes at the ready but nobody asked to see them and there were still long queues to get in. Once seated I had a look at the team selection and could only surmise that the manager had thrown all the names into the Tombola machine again.

It was a pleasant Autumn afternoon as City kicked off towards the River End but from the early moments it was plain that Watford were not there to just make up the numbers. A couple of dangerous corners were weathered but I was instantly struck by the amount of room the visitors were allowed on both wings. Sarr especially was a real handful down the right and you could see that Williams was in for a busy afternoon.

City threatened when a low free kick skipped right through the Watford defence without Pukki or Sargent being able to make contact and a minute later Raschica's cross skidded off Sargents boot as the big striker stretced to make contact. The visitors were certainly very physical and had little compunction in stepping outside the laws of the game whenever City tried to build from midfield. Just before the quarter hour Normann had a long range free kick comfortably saved by Foster which in truth was overly ambitious.

I was hoping to see City exert a measure of control now that we were playing the lesser lights but if anything it was Watford that had the edge and proved it in the 18th minute with a fine headed goal by Dennis. The ball was neatly passed about on the right before Cleverley picked out his man with a fine cross. It was deflating for the crowd who had begun in good voice and it was a while before City regained some composure. There was some neat play at times with Gilmour pushing the ball about nicely but a complete lack of any goalmouth action down our end was very worrying.

Sargent was putting a lot of effort into the game and showed perhaps a spark of getting on the same wavelength as Pukki at times but it was Normann who made the telling contribution when the equaliser came. On 35 minutes a wonderful ball was lifted over a defender for the City Talisman to race clear on the right of the area and slot the ball past the advancing Foster for 1-1. It was fairly even from here to the interval although Tim Krul had to make a good save to deflect the ball for a corner as City were almost undone by a late counter attack.

At the interval I had to agree with my son that on balance we were a little fortunate to be level and what we had seen was a little less than we had hoped for. If Watford are one of the poorer teams then this was indeed a bad sign that we were in for a very long season.

From the whistle the home side came forward with much more purpose and the visitors defence was all hands to the pump for several minutes. A couple of corners were won and a shot charged down in a bit of a scramble but it couldn't be sustained as Watford began to look lively again. Just after the hour King, found himself in acres of space twenty yards from goal, a run and a quick cut back and there was Sarr to net from close range. Deeply depressing to be caught so wide open again.

Approaching 70 minutes it was clear that changes were imminent as Cantwell and Tzolis waited to come on. You could have knocked me down with a feather when the changes were announced with Sargent and Norman coming off.. A highly physical game against a very physical opponent and we take off the two players who appeared best placed to stand up to it. I couldn't have been more surprised if Tim Krul had been hauled off. My son remarked "well thats it, game over", while I just shook my head.

City huffed and puffed with some neat passing that might have broken down a Championship side but never looked like causing Watford any concern. All that remained was for Watford to break swiftly again and Sarr to net his second. I thought there was an offside in the build up and the lino did raise his flag but the longer the check went on the more obvious the decision.

It looked a lot like men against boys the last time we were in this league and on todays performance it is very difficult to dress it up as anything better this time round. Its been a hard start but this surely was a game where we would be able to judge the quality of our recent additons and get some idea of our chances in this league. To be brutally honest I don't have much confidence in either at present.

Gilmour decent, put himself about, Norman, some gorgeous long passes, Sargent, very industrious and will certainly become a favourite. There was plenty of effort, shame about the boo's at the end. While there's life there's hope.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We arrived well before time and with our CR codes at the ready but nobody asked to see them and there were still long queues to get in. Once seated I had a look at the team selection and could only surmise that the manager had thrown all the names into the Tombola machine again.

It was a pleasant Autumn afternoon as City kicked off towards the River End but from the early moments it was plain that Watford were not there to just make up the numbers. A couple of dangerous corners were weathered but I was instantly struck by the amount of room the visitors were allowed on both wings. Sarr especially was a real handful down the right and you could see that Williams was in for a busy afternoon.

City threatened when a low free kick skipped right through the Watford defence without Pukki or Sargent being able to make contact and a minute later Raschica's cross skidded off Sargents boot as the big striker stretced to make contact. The visitors were certainly very physical and had little compunction in stepping outside the laws of the game whenever City tried to build from midfield. Just before the quarter hour Normann had a long range free kick comfortably saved by Foster which in truth was overly ambitious.

I was hoping to see City exert a measure of control now that we were playing the lesser lights but if anything it was Watford that had the edge and proved it in the 18th minute with a fine headed goal by Dennis. The ball was neatly passed about on the right before Cleverley picked out his man with a fine cross. It was deflating for the crowd who had begun in good voice and it was a while before City regained some composure. There was some neat play at times with Gilmour pushing the ball about nicely but a complete lack of any goalmouth action down our end was very worrying.

Sargent was putting a lot of effort into the game and showed perhaps a spark of getting on the same wavelength as Pukki at times but it was Normann who made the telling contribution when the equaliser came. On 35 minutes a wonderful ball was lifted over a defender for the City Talisman to race clear on the right of the area and slot the ball past the advancing Foster for 1-1. It was fairly even from here to the interval although Tim Krul had to make a good save to deflect the ball for a corner as City were almost undone by a late counter attack.

At the interval I had to agree with my son that on balance we were a little fortunate to be level and what we had seen was a little less than we had hoped for. If Watford are one of the poorer teams then this was indeed a bad sign that we were in for a very long season.

From the whistle the home side came forward with much more purpose and the visitors defence was all hands to the pump for several minutes. A couple of corners were won and a shot charged down in a bit of a scramble but it couldn't be sustained as Watford began to look lively again. Just after the hour King, found himself in acres of space twenty yards from goal, a run and a quick cut back and there was Sarr to net from close range. Deeply depressing to be caught so wide open again.

Approaching 70 minutes it was clear that changes were imminent as Cantwell and Tzolis waited to come on. You could have knocked me down with a feather when the changes were announced with Sargent and Norman coming off.. A highly physical game against a very physical opponent and we take off the two players who appeared best placed to stand up to it. I couldn't have been more surprised if Tim Krul had been hauled off. My son remarked "well thats it, game over", while I just shook my head.

City huffed and puffed with some neat passing that might have broken down a Championship side but never looked like causing Watford any concern. All that remained was for Watford to break swiftly again and Sarr to net his second. I thought there was an offside in the build up and the lino did raise his flag but the longer the check went on the more obvious the decision.

It looked a lot like men against boys the last time we were in this league and on todays performance it is very difficult to dress it up as anything better this time round. Its been a hard start but this surely was a game where we would be able to judge the quality of our recent additons and get some idea of our chances in this league. To be brutally honest I don't have much confidence in either at present.

Gilmour decent, put himself about, Norman, some gorgeous long passes, Sargent, very industrious and will certainly become a favourite. There was plenty of effort, shame about the boo's at the end. While there's life there's hope.

For me, this is the most alarming thing currently. It was similar last week at Arsenal, and the week before against Leicester. Really poor changes in key areas which has surrendered any marginal control we had. 

Tzolis was the right sub today, but it should have been for Gilmour. We should have gone for it with Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica together. As for Cantwell, unless he's played as a number ten in a 4-2-3-1, I don't see the point. Pretty stuff, but completely ineffective. 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Where there's life there's hope'

I don't know, I think he's dead Jim

I wouldn't bet against it.

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

For me, this is the most alarming thing currently. It was similar last week at Arsenal, and the week before against Leicester. Really poor changes in key areas which has surrendered any marginal control we had. 

Tzolis was the right sub today, but it should have been for Gilmour. We should have gone for it with Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica together. As for Cantwell, unless he's played as a number ten in a 4-2-3-1, I don't see the point. Pretty stuff, but completely ineffective. 

I thought the obvious changes should have been Rashica and Kenny but what do I know.

• Like 1

Yeh they were really stretching the park with their guys out wide, seemed able to get crosses in at will. When I saw Danny Rose run out I thought he was selling pies, should surely have tried to expose his lack of pace.

Completely agree Ricardo, taking off tjoar two was a really stränge decision. Against most teams you need a decent DF, so one of the other midfielders(who have shown earlier that they are not up to the task) had to do the job. Alarming that it is obvious to all of is except the management team. Tzoulis should have been a straight swap for Rashica

Thanks Ricardo.

I'm not sure that Normann is fully fit - he had a very disrupted pre-season - better to lose him for 20 minutes than for weeks with an injury during a run of games where we have to pick up points.

We are too easy to score against. Concede more than two per game and the direction of travel is certain.

Never mind, nailed on Championship winners 2022/23.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo.

I'm not sure that Normann is fully fit - he had a very disrupted pre-season - better to lose him for 20 minutes than for weeks with an injury during a run of games where we have to pick up points.

must have been based on fitness, no other reason to take off two players who were amongst the pick of what we had on show today

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo.

That may be but the result was never in doubt after those changes. It wasn't a game for Cantwell at any stretch of the imagination, far too physical. Even Rupp would have been a better choice.

Edited by ricardo

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Interesting you say that about Gilmour since the consensus seem to be he was rubbish. I wonder if there is a difference between watching him play on TV v’s live?

I didn’t think he was all that great or worth the hype till I went to the Scotland v Moldova game and though he was superb that game. 

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Interesting you say that about Gilmour since the consensus seem to be he was rubbish. I wonder if there is a difference between watching him play on TV v’s live?

I didn’t think he was all that great or worth the hype till I went to the Scotland v Moldova game and though he was superb that game. 

**** me, I could look superb v Moldova... 😏

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

**** me, I could look superb v Moldova... 😏

It’s not his only great game for us, just the first I’d seen him in since it was the first for fans to be back.

50 minutes ago, ricardo said:

That may be but the result was never in doubt after those changes. It wasn't a game for Cantwell at any stretch of the imagination, far too physical. Even Rupp would have been a better choice.

Theres no game in the prem that's suitable for Cantwell. Every game will be to physical.

That period at the start of the second half was crucial Ricardo. We were better and should have had a penalty. Two strange decisions involving Rose.

But we got hit not on the counter but by bad marking. The commentator said a quick counter but matey nearly put it into touch while we stood off and allowed it. We should have regrouped but just plainly ball watched.

A different result may have changed things but surely now teams are queuing up to play us.

This is the first time this season I have come away thinking we have very little hope of extending our stay in the PL beyond this season. Man City and Liverpool were always likely to be one-sided affairs. Against Leicester and Arsenal their were glimmers of hope and, given the rub of the green, we could have taken points from both games. I went to CR today with the firm belief that we were about to turn a corner, and see a different Norwich to that which totally capitulated toward the end of our last stay in the top flight. But no, put us up against a team with some physicality and we seem to be totally lost. Despite some pretty play, and looking like we had the upper hand at 1-1, we just switched off  at the back to gift the second goal and from then on it was same old Norwich - toothless up front and leaky at the back.

First time I had seen Sargent in the flesh, and was impressed how he didn't shy away from a physical battle. Norman also looked pretty handy first time out. Having said that, it looks like being a long sorry season - I hope I am wrong!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That period at the start of the second half was crucial Ricardo. We were better and should have had a penalty. Two strange decisions involving Rose.

But we got hit not on the counter but by bad marking. The commentator said a quick counter but matey nearly put it into touch while we stood off and allowed it. We should have regrouped but just plainly ball watched.

A different result may have changed things but surely now teams are queuing up to play us.

I thought he barged Sargent in the back but wasn't surprised when we didn't get the decision. We need to learn to do those niggly fouls in midfield that break up play. Everyone does it and it makes us look so naive that we don't. It's not pretty to watch buts its effective and the risk of punishment at the moment looks not worth worrying about. The players have got to stand up and do the dirty stuff or will just get brushed away again.

Second half we looked knackered & gave them far, far too much space. 

Kenny & Gilmour hardly seemed to do anything today. Gilmour looks even more lightweight than Cantwell to me; he looks ineffectual, a passenger most of the time. Even Rupp would be a better option I think.

Early days. Hope I'm not still saying that come Christmas ...

A fair reflection . Agreed with the nonplussed feeling on the removal of the holding midfielder for Todd. Same as Arsenal, seemed like a kamikaze move to me. 

I thought Krul was MOM by some distance. Which says it all. 

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I thought Gilmour was decent while Normann was on as he was given licence to be more creative…  after Normann came off and he was expected to drop deeper and do more defensive work not so much and not his fault. 

I can only assume Sargent and Normann’s stats were showing they were tiring on Farke’s I-pad because to my eye they were not the subs to make but…. I still trust in Farke and the project on the basis this team needs to gel and I’m praying better days are yet to come this season. 🤞

The moment we took Normann off for Todd our midfield vanished. That’s not a reflection on Todd, it just left Kenny and Gilmour to screen the defence and we were suddenly wide open. If Normann was going to be tired and need to be taken off after 65mins than we needed another DM to come on to replace him. Sargent going off left us impotent up front, suddenly we had no-one to receive the ball and hold it up. Like for like we should have brought Idah on, I didn’t think Tzolis did much and Rashica had a poor game so the subs just made no sense at the time, and the result was only heading one way once they were made.

I thought Williams had a decent game, easy to criticise but Sarr is a quality player at this level and he was getting zero defensive support from Milot. Aarons was getting bullied on the right, teams have sussed that they can play the ball straight over him. Kabak played well other than losing his man for the first goal, but even for that goal I swear Krul should have come out to claim a ball on his 6 yard line. 

Normann played well until he went off, and Sargent played really well, getting properly stuck in. Kenny had a poor game, Gilmour flatters to deceive at this level and Teemu, well if we can play more balls in front of him then by all means keep him leading the line but I worry that we need more aerial threat and holding ability.