Sign in to follow this  
sack the chef

Williams not good enough

Up against a class player, tough day for him, but not a time to single out individuals, poor team performance and no real idea what our style of play is anymore.

• Like 1

Was missing from his spot from giving pressure in first two gols. But also agree that midfield was not there to cover either. Also many of his defensive heroics today was to cover his earlier mistakes that allowed Sarr to get past him too easily. 

He has good qualities and will come up good, but is very risky there at the moment.

I think he will be a good player for us but may struggle against a pacy type winger. It's up to us to do our due diligence and have the wingers helping out doubling up if we face that type of winger again

How on earth can you blame him for being exposed. It was the abject failure of the midfield to provide suitable cover that let us down. Rashica was awful and none of the 3 CMs took responsibility for filling the gaping hole.

Rashica's covering, or lack of, was the bigger problem and McLean had a poor game as well.

Dimitri has far more about his game and more experience which we need. We should not be playing boys in this league as they are not ready

Giannoulis won lots of plaudits against Liverpool before having a nightmare against Man City the week after.

Williams won lots of plaudits against Arsenal but struggled today. Like Giannoulis, the defensive side of his game is very iffy and he'd probably look better as a wing back with a back three.

I very rarely call players out, and don't want to make a habit of it, but I feel like Brandon Williams is no better than we already have.

Not tackling or marking, sitting in no man's land for the second goal, and wandering around the penalty area with his arm in the air for the third.

Agree he was pretty solid at Arsenal, but also arguably at fault for both Leicester goals before that.

Is he really better than Giannoulis?? I would prefer to see Dimi given a run against Seamus Coleman next week at Everton. 

Really disagree. Texted my Utd supporting brother in law at half time saying Williams having another good game. I texted him after the Arsenal game I think and said he was outstanding.

Im not sure where the criticism comes from. Good work-rate, tackled strongly, generally kept with his man and recovered well. Got up to support the attack.

Why do we always need to put an individual in the stocks?

Actually thought he was one of the better players today!……although that may say more about them than Williams!

Would put Williams in ahead of Aaron's personally and have Dimitri in LB position.  Aaron's had opportunities to run into space and failed to take them. He also sits off players too much and allows them into the box to cut the ball back. 

Just think that he's probably due a break as seems easily frustrated right now and it's having a negative impact on his desire to get further upfield. 

As a few above felt Williams was one of our better players, but he got caught out of position. But that's not surprising how many times we gave away possession. 

Edited by Google Bot

18 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Really disagree. Texted my Utd supporting brother in law at half time saying Williams having another good game. I texted him after the Arsenal game I think and said he was outstanding.

Im not sure where the criticism comes from. Good work-rate, tackled strongly, generally kept with his man and recovered well. Got up to support the attack.

Why do we always need to put an individual in the stocks?

His work rate was pretty questionable I thought on a number of occasions, Aarons is often guilty of doing the same - ambling back when we are exposed and letting players (try to) cover for his absence.

He’s a good tackler and gets stuck in, but I personally think Giannoulis offers far more coming forwards, plus he’s our own actual player!

Williams seems to be under orders to get forward as much as possible, the trouble is that leaves McLean and Rashica to cover and they were first class shocking imo. 

If we are to persist with throwing him forward then that has to mean 3 x CBs to cover. We exact same situation with Aarons 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Rashica's covering, or lack of, was the bigger problem and McLean had a poor game as well.

In the first half I didn't understand why neither Rashica nor McLean took responsibility for the number 21 who had acres of space behind and around Ismael Sarr.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I was at the game today. Williams 100% not the problem. Did well to limit Sarr and offered a fair bit coming forwards.

Limit sarr? Yeah to 2 goals 🤣🤣

He might make a good right back, but from what I've seen he's a very average option on the left.  It's tough playing wrong side, especially when playing a team with traditional wingers like today, but that doesn't excuse the number of times he was beaten or the lack of positional sense. 

52 minutes ago, NWC said:

I very rarely call players out, and don't want to make a habit of it, but I feel like Brandon Williams is no better than we already have.

Not tackling or marking, sitting in no man's land for the second goal, and wandering around the penalty area with his arm in the air for the third.

Agree he was pretty solid at Arsenal, but also arguably at fault for both Leicester goals before that.

Is he really better than Giannoulis?? I would prefer to see Dimi given a run against Seamus Coleman next week at Everton. 

Wasn’t it Kabak with his arm in the air for the third? On today’s evidence he is not better than Omobamidele.