38 minutes ago, chicken said:

We were relegated with him last time.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

1. We were relegated with him last time.

Someone please help me understand this argument. 

So, the suggestion is that because he didn't single-handedly keep us up (ignoring all the other players around him), he wasn't an important player for us. 

This is the player who by January of that season had created more goals from open play than any other player in Europe's top leagues (he finished 4th in the league, behind De Bruyne, Graelish and Alexander-Arnold). 

I mean, did you guys even watch him play? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

BOOOOO HOOOO! WAAHHH!  We sold our Emi...............our Emi................

............who didn't want to be here....................Waaah! Boooo............Hoooo!

Or we could move on.

Honestly, I have more sympathy for this argument than the nonsense some are spouting about him not being that good. It's funny how when they leave they automatically become sh*t, isn't it? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Nice argument. 

Emi was obviously a vital player in our PL promotion run. 17 assists, 15 goals. Our record without him last season was 2 wins in 7. 

I can only assume you're trolling or deluded. 

Yawn. If we are relegated this season, it won't be because we sold one player. Norwich never have been and never will be a one player team. It's a totally trash argument as has been proven repeatedly for 5months now.

Emi couldn't help us stay up last time. There is no evidence to suggest we'd stay up this time with him either. In fact, more evidence to suggest we would go down, considering the squad we have now is largely built upon the promise of new players we were able to bring in. A large part of that being because he wanted to leave and we got good money for him.

We'd be looking at £20m and trying to plug a gap left by the departures of Klose, Vrancic, Tettey, Trybul, Leitner, Stiepermann, Drmic, Nyland etc.

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

Honestly, I have more sympathy for this argument than the nonsense some are spouting about him not being that good. It's funny how when they leave they automatically become sh*t, isn't it? 

Yes, he was a good player for us, no doubt, but really we need to get over it and forget him.  The solutions are here and now and that is what we should be focussing on, not the past.

2 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Funny thing is, no one is saying he is rubbish. People just disagree with the God complex people have formed about him, how he was a DM and the worlds best No.10 all in one player. That he some how was running box to box constantly for three years whilst simultaneously scoring/assisting AND sweeping in front of the back four. That his god like presence in our team would mean we would be safe this season without question. Those are all arguments being made right now.

But oh no - the people who disagree are supposedly saying he's rubbish...🤪😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emi was our best player,

Are we going down cos we sold him, absolutely not.

We're going down because we haven't used the money make our first 11 better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, he was a good player for us, no doubt, but really we need to get over it and forget him.  The solutions are here and now and that is what we should be focussing on, not the past.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's unreasonable after 5 games to take stock of the new signings and look at the overall success of the transfer strategy over the summer. 

Edited by The Bunny

I have no problem with people thinking we might have been more of an attacking threat with Emi (although his start hasn't been exceptional in a better side, and I quite like the look of some of the attacking players we've signed in replacement), but save it for a game where we fail to create anything and lose a narrow 1-0 or draw 0-0. Today I dont see how Emi makes any sort of positive difference.

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's unreasonable after 5 games to take stock of the new signings and look at the overall success of the transfer strategy over the summer. 

Normann and Kabak's first game. Two who will be key players getting their first taste of action with us.  it will take time to see the best of us. 

8 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

So, the suggestion is that because he didn't single-handedly keep us up (ignoring all the other players around him), he wasn't an important player for us. 

This is the player who by January of that season had created more goals from open play than any other player in Europe's top leagues (he finished 4th in the league, behind De Bruyne, Graelish and Alexander-Arnold). 

I mean, did you guys even watch him play? 

Again, I repeat, no one is saying he is rubbish - but there are plenty of people suggesting that we would be staying up if we had him.

And, just FYI, we have been here before with the claim that he finished 4th for assists - to cut to the chase, he didn't. Only one ropey source has him anywhere near as high as that and it isn't an officially recognised one. Just an example of one of the many others that tend to confirm this - joint 11th with 7 other players. Good luck in trying to disprove the Premier League's own stats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Again, I repeat, no one is saying he is rubbish - but there are plenty of people suggesting that we would be staying up if we had him.

And, just FYI, we have been here before with the claim that he finished 4th for assists - to cut to the chase, he didn't. Only one ropey source has him anywhere near as high as that and it isn't an officially recognised one. Just an example of one of the many others that tend to confirm this - joint 11th with 7 other players. Good luck in trying to disprove the Premier League's own stats.

I said chances from open play

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

I think that you need to read the thread, especially the OP who said that he was the sole reason we were promoted and his sale is the sole reason that we will go down.

Hopefully you understand now the point now.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Emi is the reason we are in the Premier League and his sale is the reason we will be relegated. It really is that simple. 

4 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

6 if you include the cup game against Bournemouth.

So far we have seen positive qualities in PLM, Sargent, Williams, Tzolis, Rashica and Normann for extended periods in games. We have seen glimpses of Gilmore and Kabak as well.

I have to agree with those that are saying that the issue we have right now is struggling to get the new look squad to work together effectively to bring all of these qualities together and be harder to beat. That is what we are looking at. I think questions of Farke are somewhat fair at this point as we have persisted with a new 4-3-3 formation which has not seemingly worked.

If it were me, knowing we had a new squad that in all fairness you couldn't just throw into the fire, I would have stuck with a 4-2-3-1, at least until the team started to gel. The issue I think we are seeing a bit of was actually named by Cantwell a couple of games ago when he said the team were getting used to new roles in a new formation. It means that the players that normally organise on the pitch are also trying to focus on their own game. Which to me gives more opportunity for distraction and mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Good grief. Yeah, not a stat that is easily useful sadly. Either way, this is a useless Segway to your criticism of my or others arguments and actually isn't anything to do with the OP either. 

18 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

No, Emi is a very good player - outstanding at Championship level and had some very  good  moments with us in the premier league. How good he turns out to be for Villa we will have to wait and see but I think he will do well.

Equally, however, I think that we got a good price for him in the current market and that the 3 or 4 players we bought with the proceeds of sale will contain at least one and possibly two very good players.

When added to the fact that he wanted to leave, I think that we may well benefit in the long term. I'm certainly not prepared to give up already like some seem to have done.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think that you need to read the thread, especially the OP who said that he was the sole reason we were promoted and his sale is the sole reason that we will go down.

Hopefully you understand now the point now.

My point stands. He was critical for us that season, despite us eventually going down. This season, he could have made the difference. Without him, on the evidence so far, it doesn't look like we stand a chance. 

And yes, there are other problems, clearly. We're looking awful defensively. But you could argue that's symptomatic of the same issue - not replacing a key player we lost from the last campaign. I hope I'm wrong and Normann and Kabak work out though - as LDC says, it's early days. 

4 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

My point stands.

So you think that because we sold Emi we will definitely be relegated but we would have stayed up with him? This was the point made by the OP that we were addressing?

If you are saying that Emi is a good player, you have no argument from me, nor I suspect many others.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Normann and Kabak's first game. Two who will be key players getting their first taste of action with us.  it will take time to see the best of us. 

We don't have time, clubs are starting to pull away, Brentford are already out of reach. Selling Emi was inevitable and we have sufficient players to replace him but a Coach who doesn't know how to get the best of what we has got, or organise a defence not to concede such stupid goals.

We seem to have the situation where Gilmour has to play x number of games and will play regardless with a midfield where absolutely no-one gets forward to support the attack. 

Worth noting that Buendia didn't even get any minutes on the pitch in Villas very good win yesterday.

• Thanks 1

Talk about Emi and his replacement/s always reminds me of the 'He gets on base' scene in Moneyball ( the best film on sports management ever). The question is if we cannot find a one-to-one replacement can/could we replace him on aggregate?

16 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well I hope so because both be less than brilliant yesterday. 

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Emi is the reason we are in the Premier League and his sale is the reason we will be relegated. It really is that simple. 

There's no doubt he would probably win us points but I doubt even that would be enough for survival. We just haven't been at the races so far this season, new players haven't really delivered yet. Maybe it'll come but the one thing you don't have in the premier League is time, we need points on the board

I'll always be grateful for seeing such a talented player in a yellow and green shirt. I've seen a few, emi was the best since huckerby for me. I loved emi when he was here, I will follow his career but just disappointed he's at villa as I've never really liked them. But for goodness sake can't we move on and stop making threads about him every 4 to 6 weeks 😲

19 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

I agree with all the above but we cannot afford to try and improve. With out selling people like Emi.

im not defending it, it’s just facts

self funding just isn’t working

Brentfords owner is worth £3m. I've got an uncle worth more.

They didn't sell Toney.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Worth noting that Buendia didn't even get any minutes on the pitch in Villas very good win yesterday.

Good. Maybe he'll totally flop for them and we can buy him back on the cheap next year in the champs. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Brentfords owner is worth £3m. I've got an uncle worth more.

They didn't sell Toney.

I'm under the impressions that that last season was basically Emi giving us one more year. I don't think those same conditions apply to Toney.

If Brentford play well and survive this season then fair play to them. But considering their budget, how long it took them to make the step up out of the championship and the relentlessness of the premier league, I honestly can't see them consistently performing season after season, we saw with Sheffield United just how quickly it can all turn.