Ken Hairy

Daniel Farke

16 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can't agree here. I think we're all jumping the gun a bit on the back of one disappointing result in the first game of a season where we might have had a chance. Considering how low a state we were in just over four years ago with our finances in a mess and an aging squad going nowhere rapidly, for him and Webber to have pulled out what they have is remarkable. To do so whilst sorting out our finances is impressive enough. To do it whilst delivering two Championship titles with a stylish brand of attacking football that's won fans way beyond Carrow Road is something else. And to do it with a heavier focus on youth than your average team in the top two divisions makes it as remarkable as it does.

However, the extent to which this is remarkable does make the downs that bit more biting, or even distressing to many. And we have to make sure we don't panic.

This season is the worst Arsenal team I've ever seen and in the days days of Grant Holt we'd of went there last week, bullied them and got a result. Leicester wern't that wonderful and again a team from the Lambert/Holt Premier League season would of likely got a result, even one from the Hughton era. 

I agree 100% that Farkes efforts in the Championship have been remarkable and he wasn't given the best chance last team in the Premiership but up to present  we're on a terrible run in the top flight, don't look to have learnt lessons  and fellow promoted teams Watford and Brentford look far more capable.

- Everything equates to Farke being on borrowed time in this Division unless improvements happen but its hard to see where at present.things can improve. The new signing will get more acclimatised but the lack of physicality and nous makes survival already at this stage very unlikely?

On 19/09/2021 at 08:53, Michael Starr said:

^ This... I'm sure Farke and his staff are brilliant at what they do but we do need somebody to go in there with real defensive knowledge and help to find a balance. We've had defensive issues from day one... but then, we've always had defensive issues here

Sadly I can’t see us getting in a defensive coach but it would help. Watching the goals back on MOTD the likes of Aaron’s were really frustrated from their inability to defend. 

Martin Keown also quite scathing in terms of the quality of the players. But I don’t agree with him, they have the quality, just seems to be the system that puts them under excessive pressure. 

23 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Sadly I can’t see us getting in a defensive coach but it would help. Watching the goals back on MOTD the likes of Aaron’s were really frustrated from their inability to defend. 

I think Aarons looked angry rather than frustrated - angry that another player didn't do what he was supposed to do.  Kabak and Normann were good, but their one or two lapses (understandable given how short time they have had with us, to get fully up to speed) did affect the game. In hindsight Farke may have been better only playing one of them just now, so as not to affect teamwork too much. I was a bit surprised he changed the CBs from the Arsenal game.

On 19/09/2021 at 10:59, kingsway said:

This season is the worst Arsenal team I've ever seen and in the days days of Grant Holt we'd of went there last week, bullied them and got a result. Leicester wern't that wonderful and again a team from the Lambert/Holt Premier League season would of likely got a result, even one from the Hughton era. 

I agree 100% that Farkes efforts in the Championship have been remarkable and he wasn't given the best chance last team in the Premiership but up to present  we're on a terrible run in the top flight, don't look to have learnt lessons  and fellow promoted teams Watford and Brentford look far more capable.

- Everything equates to Farke being on borrowed time in this Division unless improvements happen but its hard to see where at present.things can improve. The new signing will get more acclimatised but the lack of physicality and nous makes survival already at this stage very unlikely?

Well put. Farke can assemble teams that outplay the opposition, but winning ugly or by negative football is something he apparently cannot do. Sadly,  it's a skill, by the look of it, he can't get away without at this level, or at least not with the squad he has.

29 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

Well put. Farke can assemble teams that outplay the opposition, but winning ugly or by negative football is something he apparently cannot do. Sadly,  it's a skill, by the look of it, he can't get away without at this level, or at least not with the squad he has.

But the squad has seen a huge influx of new players - Rashica, Gilmour, Tzolis, Sargent, Williams, Kabak, Normann, Lees-Melou - and many of them are young players and will need a bit of time to integrate fully into how we play and Farkeball is not something that all players can come in and adapt to straight away - and we have just had a baptism of fire at the start of this season with fixtures. 

The Watford game was a bit of a watershed imo and I don't think we will see anything like that again this season - the new players will get what is required from a Farke team, there will be a bit more steel from now on and even if we don't get points every week, we will start to look more solid and competitive.  That isn't just a hope, it is a certainty as far as I'm concerned - and as the team develops and teamwork improves, we can only get better from here on.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The Watford game was a bit of a watershed imo and I don't think we will see anything like that again this season

This is what I'm hoping to be the case too. We've just thrown in our two newest but arguably most important signings after one week of first team training following the international break. Both showed good signs but were rusty and tired after 60 mins, and unfamiliar with rest of the team. Chuck in 7 other senior players to integrate, and the loss of our two best players from last season, and its easy to see why we might struggle. 

However on paper that should now be the worst of it out of the way, so perhaps the Watford game was a necessary evil in terms of getting everyone up to speed?

We saw similar with Giannoulis last season who played a very mixed first couple of games before finding his feet. Obviously its far more catastrophic when its several new players at once and without some of the mainstays from last year but hopefully we see a similar outcome!

I just hope we see enough to keep the majority of the fans on board, we really need a couple of results to tide things over; incremental and slight improvements in performances (but no results) probably won't suffice right now. I reckon Farke has 4-5 more straight losses before things become untenable, but I don't think it will come to that.