chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Watford (H)(PL) ****

Daniel Farke's Premier League record with Norwich City - 

P43 W5 D6 L32 F28 A89 GD-61- Win ratio 11.63%

Sorry, but show me a manager anywhere who survives a record like that!

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thing is we do have the players to do this. Tzolis on the left, Rashica on the right. Though Sargent's energy and physicality was very welcome playing on the right.

Normann has the defensive solidity and passing ability to make that work

I agree, i meant we're not good enough to play like Barcelona in 2008. 

Going to try and pick out some positives:

The Pukki-Sargent partnership - Sargent linking play, gaining possession, being a f*cking nuisance. Pukki was much more involved as a result.

Normann - destroyer and creator.

Krul - top saves.

Still think we need to go back to 4-2-3-1.

OTBC

• Like 4

Have Chelsea actually sent us the real Gilmour as the hype surrounding this player isn’t warranted by what we’re seeing on the pitch. No way should he be anywhere near the starting line up anytime soon

Edited by Virtual reality

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Four of the starters today were loan players so what exactly has been brought in?

Loan players or city players, was (is) there a difference! They still cannot perform at this level, full stop! 

10 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Trying to play the way we do in this league with the quality of player we have is flat out stupid. It doesn't work. Every other team does the exact opposite of us. They make the pitch big, they don't really knock the ball about they give it to a fast player to take the opposition on, they get back as fast as they can to defend and tackle hard and hit the counter attack at pace and put the ball into dangerous areas instead of trying to play to feet. 

I think we do have good enough players, we're just not good enough to play this particular way. To put it basically we're very easy to create chances against and we don't create many ourselves playing this way, so to put it blunty it has to change or we won't get 10 points this year

can't agree more, there is a reason why Stoke and Burnley play the way they do. Whilst its rubbish to watch they don't push fullbacks forward, keep a solid backline all the time. Admittedly think Stoke was far better side than Burnley. 

We really need a back 3 if we going to push the fall backs forward. As soon as the attack breaks down, there is huge gaps down either side. Defenders limitations are more exposed the way we play. 

433 or 4231 with one through the middle. Pukki is going to struggle against 2 defenders at this level. Today at least Sargent and Pukki looked to cause alot more problems having more players in the box. 

Edited by Baracouda

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thing is we do have the players to do this. Tzolis on the left, Rashica on the right. Though Sargent's energy and physicality was very welcome playing on the right.

Normann has the defensive solidity and passing ability to make that work

We play Rashica and Tzolis and who in the middle?

And who plays up front?

And will Andy O be given a run in the team instead of Hanley?

Fact is, people are saying we have the players. If true, then the coaching staff have to go. If not, then we are going down anyway.

Gilmour's highlights real shows his mobility, turning and reading of the game more than make up for his small physique in a Chelsea shirt. 

I havent seen him do any of that in a yellow shirt. If he cant do that, then playing him so deep is foolish.

It's not his position but I think the only place you could get away with that physique in a battling team rather than a team like Chelsea is at number 10

5 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Have Chelsea actually sent us the real Gilmour as the hype surrounding this player isn’t warranted by what we’re seeing in the pitch. No way should he be anywhere near the starting line up anytime soon

I think part of the issue is that he’s getting into space but the players don’t pass to him. There were at least 4 or 5 times I could see where he was in space and shouting for the ball and the player didn’t pass to him.

He won’t be able to do much if they aren’t giving him the ball. I did like the ball to put Pukki through though. 

ETA- this got much better when Cantwell came on and there was some nice play between him and Gilmour. I’d like to see that again in the future.

Edited by Jambomo

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

We play Rashica and Tzolis and who in the middle?

And who plays up front?

And will Andy O be given a run in the team instead of Hanley?

Fact is, people are saying we have the players. If true, then the coaching staff have to go. If not, then we are going down anyway.

I meant Tzolis and Rashica in a three pronged attack. Pukki in the middle probably, but Id like to see what Sargent can offer in a central role

28 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

15 games with no points in this league is absolutely not acceptable and the manager has to take the blame. This team is good enough but not with this manager

Why do keep saying the squad is good enough …… it clearly is not , lacks the physicality for me .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Have Chelsea actually sent us the real Gilmour as the hype surrounding this player isn’t warranted by what we’re seeing on the pitch. No way should he be anywhere near the starting line up anytime soon

Agree, I think he has flattered to deceive so far. In my opinion play Gilmore as a number 10 or take him out of the line-up. 

Lees-Melou hasnt exactly sparked yet either but at least he does have a useful physique.

Tactics and cohesion need a lot of work however.

I dont think the fact Hanley's CB partner has changed pretty much every game helped either.

My criticism of Kabak aside, he does at least look a big unit and will hopefully improve

27 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

It's sh*t but to be clear it is 100%, definitely, not 15 and no win. I do not see why we can decide to ignore a whole season?

It absolutely is..15 Prem defeats..the record is Sunderland with 20 and that was split like Citys is. I said weeks ago City were under serious threat of beating that and nothing changes my mind. Im not really  concerned  by it either, but i am  waiting for one glimpse of a team who know each other , have cohesion, momentum and  put in everything as a unit...that is just not happening as yet.

i Said it Last week sadly Farke is the best Championship manager the Club has had but he can not do it in the PL 

We Need a manager who can get more out of this Team ! 

No point Going down with out a fight 

I think Kabak will get sharper and improve as he plays more with our players. However, I'd drop Hanley and see if Omo & Kabak can form a partnership.

Sorry but drop Mclean & Gilmour, and play PLM & Normann in front of back four

Then have Tzolis & Rash out wide, Sargent behind Pukki, either that or Cantwell in No.10 behind Sargent

We have to try 4-2-3-1

• Like 1

Brentford.  8 points

Watford.     6 points

Norwich.    0 points

Even the biggest pessimist could have envisaged this, regardless of opposition.

Not easy being a Canary supporter.  Almost as difficult being a Wyoming Cowboy supporter.  Both are up and down.  Can never be sure which team will show up to play.  For me, it's like a double-whammy.  🥺.  Guess I'll continue supporting both...

Just now, CowboyCanary said:

Not easy being a Canary supporter.  Almost as difficult being a Wyoming Cowboy supporter.  Both are up and down.  Can never be sure which team will show up to play.  For me, it's like a double-whammy.  🥺.  Guess I'll continue supporting both...

Least you're not a Cleveland browns fan

• Haha 1

Sorry, I am as gutted as anyone, but people still calling for Hanley to be dropped are really on thin rope here.

Kabak guilty for two goals, yet folks were demanding he started games ago. He's not there yet. Does he need more time? Sure but then we take a risk that he takes more games to be ready, and perhaps gives more chances.

Do I want to see Kabak and Omobamidele together? I'd be a bit worried if I am honest, especially at this point. You'd have a back four with no age at all. 21, 21, 19, 21.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sorry, I am as gutted as anyone, but people still calling for Hanley to be dropped are really on thin rope here.

Kabak guilty for two goals, yet folks were demanding he started games ago. He's not there yet. Does he need more time? Sure but then we take a risk that he takes more games to be ready, and perhaps gives more chances.

Do I want to see Kabak and Omobamidele together? I'd be a bit worried if I am honest, especially at this point. You'd have a back four with no age at all. 21, 21, 19, 21.

What we need is a partnership (or 2) rather than constantly changing it around.

For me Andy O has done enough for 1 spot and the other is up for grabs. Gibson would get the nod from me personally. 

The whole record thing is ridiculous. It matters diddly squat what happened 2 seasons ago. 

The only statistic we should be bothered about is 5 games 5 losses.

And Watford is the only loss there we should feel aggreived about. Remember - Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal. All Premer League winners and Champions League teams.

Watford are one of our bogey teams anyway.

What is concerning is where it hasnt worked. Liverpool we were in the game. Man City we rolled over. Leicester we were unlucky. Arsenal we were definitely unlucky.

Normann and Sargent look to have improved the team but not ready to give us 90 minutes.

We shouldnt be throwing in the towel, but there are some concerns.

Im not sure our formation is right, Farke seems to be searching for the formula which is a little concerning at this stage. He doesnt seem to know what his best XI is

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unique said:

Brentford.  8 points

Watford.     6 points

Norwich.    0 points

Even the biggest pessimist could have envisaged this, regardless of opposition.

Also shows it’s not just about spending money. Brentford have been far more targeted in their signings and strategy which is all about being defensively sound as a starting point. 

2 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

What we need is a partnership (or 2) rather than constantly changing it around.

For me Andy O has done enough for 1 spot and the other is up for grabs. Gibson would get the nod from me personally. 

I don’t know why he changed it today. Hanley and Big Andy played well last week. 

29 minutes ago, Heading South said:

Why do keep saying the squad is good enough …… it clearly is not , lacks the physicality for me .

Exactly! I don't think many managers would get many leaue wins with this squad. Watford barely spent anything in the summer but have assembled a squad more capable of competing than we have. I know people will say they are a hig physical team but guess what you need physicality in this league. I actually thought they looked head and shoulders above us in terms of footballing ability as well if I am being brutally honest. 

Edited by Alex

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Also shows it’s not just about spending money. Brentford have been far more targeted in their signings and strategy which is all about being defensively sound as a starting point. 

And kept their best player who got them up.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

In 4 seasons, I'm not sure if Farke knows what "which is all about being defensively sound as a starting point" means

13 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The whole record thing is ridiculous. It matters diddly squat what happened 2 seasons ago. 

The only statistic we should be bothered about is 5 games 5 losses.

And Watford is the only loss there we should feel aggreived about. Remember - Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal. All Premer League winners and Champions League teams.

Watford are one of our bogey teams anyway.

What is concerning is where it hasnt worked. Liverpool we were in the game. Man City we rolled over. Leicester we were unlucky. Arsenal we were definitely unlucky.

Normann and Sargent look to have improved the team but not ready to give us 90 minutes.

We shouldnt be throwing in the towel, but there are some concerns.

Im not sure our formation is right, Farke seems to be searching for the formula which is a little concerning at this stage. He doesnt seem to know what his best XI is

Come off it mate. Watford outplayed us and could have scored more. If we are getting battered by Watford at home then we have no hope. Also Leicester were battered 4-1 by West Ham before they played us and had quite a few players out and whilst I hate to break the news Arsenal are not exactly a top side anymore they haven't won the league in 17 years. 

Edited by Alex

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t know why he changed it today. Hanley and Big Andy played well last week. 

Only reason I can see is that he sees Kabak as first choice CB. Decided he needs to be embedded into the team as soon as possible as we got him late to get him up to speed. With hindsight after his performance, this might not have been the right game to do it in.

I do hope there is more from him cuz he was sh*te today.

Hanley being the captain is very hard to drop. Playing Omo next to Kabak would certainly worry me. Kabak doesnt seem the best communicator and Omo probably needs that next to him. Gibson seems somewhat off the boil. Zimmermann seems 5th choice and out of favour.

Im not sure what the general concensus was on Williams today. I thought he had a good game, but others on here saw things differently.

Krul doesnt seem to have the confidence and agression he usually has so far this season. Big save today but not as talismanic as he usually is.

I think Normann needs to become a leader for us. I can really see him firing up the team and leading by example. Much to be excited about with him. Sargent's workrate also very positive.

I would like to see Tzolis on the left and Rashica on the right though as proper wingers and not as wide strikers

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Come off it mate. Watford outplayed us and could have scored more. If we are getting battered by Watford at home then we have no hope. Also Leicester were battered 4-1 by West Ham before they played us and had quite a few players out and whilst I hate to break the news Arsenal are not exactly a top side anymore. 

Id hardly say Watford outplayed us. After we equalised we were improving and I thought we were more likely to go on and win the game.

Watford outscored us because they got their tactics right, took their chances and we made it far far too easy for them to score. But they didnt play us off the park