Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Derby to enter administration

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Hypothetically then.....If we unfortunately as a last resort had to go into administration over a decade ago.....Who would have been held to account at NCFC and would they still be at the club?......

Depends who bought the club. The shareholders would have been gone and the new owners would have decided on the management. The players would have been protected by their contracts.

An alternative is that the new owners could redevelop the ground and the training ground for private housing/ business accommodation, as nearly happened at Palace. My guess is though, that at present at least, we are worth more as a football club than we are as real estate.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Depends who bought the club. The shareholders would have been gone and the new owners would have decided on the management. The players would have been protected by their contracts.

An alternative is that the new owners could redevelop the ground and the training ground for private housing/ business accommodation, as nearly happened at Palace. My guess is though, that at present at least, we are worth more as a football club than we are as real estate.

Or then again we could have gone the other way and become a Leicester City, FA Cup Winners and Premier League Champions?....It's all hypothetical but thanks for your contribution....It's a reply I was expecting.....

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Or then again we could have gone the other way and become a Leicester City, FA Cup Winners and Premier League Champions?....It's all hypothetical but thanks for your contribution....It's a reply I was expecting.....

It is, of course, possible that we could have new owners and end up like Leicester, but the probabilities are very much against it as has been shown time and time again.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

It is, of course, possible that we could have new owners and end up like Leicester, but the probabilities are very much against it as has been shown time and time again.

But of course, although it would be nice if we could be the mouse that roared......Hey let's just be happy with our lot.....'Cheep Cheap'...

On 18/09/2021 at 11:01, Mello Yello said:

Hypothetically then.....If we unfortunately as a last resort had to go into administration over a decade ago.....Who would have been held to account at NCFC and would they still be at the club?......

You might as well ask who would have been held to account if Delia had run mad with an axe in the River End and slaughtered 50 pensioners. Didn’t happen, and the only people who suggested it was a possiblity were those who it suited.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Hey let's just be happy with our lot.....'Cheep Cheap'...

You may be, but I think that most of us are more ambitious than that! We need to keep the money that we earn in the club, not pay it off to investors!

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 23:30, Number9 said:

You think Ipswich won't have been relegated by then?

Re : Forest, Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Bolton, Portsmouth, Charlton and Ipswich. Add in Hull and Swansea for giggles. It could be a very interesting League 1 next year. 

I say Ipswich won't be relegated mainly because my predictions are invariably wrong :-)  but irrespective of them a number of these "big" clubs could be in League 1 next year unless something radical changes over the next few weeks. Wigan, MK Dons, Plymouth, Wycombe, Rotherham, Wimbledon, Cheltenham, Burton occupy 8 of the top 10 places.

On 18/09/2021 at 10:36, TIL 1010 said:

It was Alan Bowkett not McNasty.

Yes it was Bowkett who negotiated the rescheduling of the debt. And it had probably been a condition imposed by the lenders that a heavy-hitter, Bowkett or someone similar, with a reputation in the City, was brought onto the board. Although I suspect Smith and Jones had already reached a similar conclusion.

A significant aspect of the rescheduling, indicating a certain confidence in our overall financial position, was that if we had afterwards never been promoted to the Premier League we would have had until May of 2022 to pay off AXA, our main lender.

On 21/09/2021 at 18:46, First Wazzock said:

I hope Derby go down, they survived last season by the skin of their teeth.

Wycombe should have stayed up

It could be far worse for them than that.

They owe c£25 million to HMRC, which has to be paid in full + their other debt (which only have to be paid at 25%) amount to another £10-15 million. Technically they owe Morris £100 million as well, and he is entitled to £25 million from this.

If he insists on his cut, which hopefully he won't, it would cost a new buyer £65 million to buy Derby for £1! If he is "generous" it will only be £40 to £45 million for a free purchase.

Given that most of their players are now on very short term contracts because of the transfer embargo + they don't own their own ground, it is a lot to ay for the brand name of a club that is likely to end up in league One!

There is also the short-term issue of how the hell they are going to pay the wages in the meantime. They have a large number of season ticket holders, so that money is already gone. In essence they are dependant upon away fans and casual ticket purchases to pay all their bills.

Liquidation would be the logical solution and no more Derby County - but hopefully it won't come to that. If I were an US pension fund, I would still think that Derby are a better purchase than Ipswich!

• Like 1

Haven’t Derby already gone through administration in the past? If they have surely they should be given a far bigger penalty?

21 hours ago, Indy said:

Haven’t Derby already gone through administration in the past? If they have surely they should be given a far bigger penalty?

They have been, but that was nearly 20 years ago and several owners since.

More interesting is that Derby are still due additional points deductions for cheating FFP - it will be interesting to see if the League enforces these are personally, I feel that it should.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Several buyers queueing up to take on a basketcase of a club.

Sad that we can't attract anybody with money these days.

Suspicious that isn’t it, it’s like the stowmarket 2 are trying to prevent a better owner taking over 

On 18/09/2021 at 13:20, Badger said:

People are just trying to set traps for you Badger, don’t take the bait. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2021 at 13:17, Mello Yello said:

Definitely possible! If you look at all takeovers in the past 20 years in the EFL and Premier League the odds of that happening are about 1/50 - that is, just the odds on us doing better than we currently are - and i'm being optimistic with those odds.

So it always comes down to fan opinion and values. Is it worth potentially throwing away everything good about the club, its current position etc, for a 1 in 50 chance of being something better?

For me, I'm quite attached to our club and don't value the risk. If we were languishing in Championship / League One for 6 or 7 years then the odds on doing better for our size of club is better, and suddenly the risk / reward starts to make a bit more sense. But that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Definitely possible! If you look at all takeovers in the past 20 years in the EFL and Premier League the odds of that happening are about 1/50 - that is, just the odds on us doing better than we currently are - and i'm being optimistic with those odds.

So it always comes down to fan opinion and values. Is it worth potentially throwing away everything good about the club, its current position etc, for a 1 in 50 chance of being something better?

For me, I'm quite attached to our club and don't value the risk. If we were languishing in Championship / League One for 6 or 7 years then the odds on doing better for our size of club is better, and suddenly the risk / reward starts to make a bit more sense. But that's not the case.

Well written and factual. The thought of continuing with our ‘special custodians’ and then keeping it in the family certainly fills my heart with joy. 

I may be critical of how we are playing on the pitch and I realise that there is normally a direct relationship between how much you spend on players to how many points you score in the Premiership; but I believe that the direction of the self sustaining model adopted at Norwich is the only way for this Club to avoid becoming another Derby. It may mean that we constantly have to sell talent to balance the books and it may mean that we are destined to be only a Championship side with brief forays into the Premiership, but that is where we are, a community club surviving in a way that is unique to us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I may be critical of how we are playing on the pitch and I realise that there is normally a direct relationship between how much you spend on players to how many points you score in the Premiership; but I believe that the direction of the self sustaining model adopted at Norwich is the only way for this Club to avoid becoming another Derby. It may mean that we constantly have to sell talent to balance the books and it may mean that we are destined to be only a Championship side with brief forays into the Premiership, but that is where we are, a community club surviving in a way that is unique to us. 

Hard to swallow but not far off the mark there Kenny.

33 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

It took me a minute there to realise you’re not @kennyfoggo. I thought he’d had a breakdown or something! 😲

(👍 for the post)

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

The key correlation is between a club's wage bill and its performance in the Premier League, rather than how much is spent on transfer fees, although obviously there is often a link between wages and transfer fees. And the wages correlation is a pretty good predictor over several seasons, but noticeably less accurate in any one season.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

People are just trying to set traps for you Badger, don’t take the bait. 

Thanks MY, but I'm afraid that it is just part of everyday life for a badger. It's not my fault I spread TB - and I haven't been offered a vaccination and can't find a mask to fit my snout 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Suspicious that isn’t it, it’s like the stowmarket 2 are trying to prevent a better owner taking over 

I suspect in their closed minds there is no such thing as a 'better owner' than them.

3 minutes ago, robert choice said:

I suspect in their closed minds there is no such thing as a 'better owner' than them.

Damn the evil stowmarket 2 

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

There’s more than 2??? 😲

There's quite a few spare seats on an executive jet......if they all chip in it keeps the flight costs down.....