Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Will Watford provide a good comparison of where we are?

Just thinking about the two defeats last season and we had a pretty strong squad including Skipp and Emi in both games.  We had Hanley & Zimmers at CB for the Away defeat, and Hanley & Omobamidele for the home defeat towards end of season.

The fear this season is whether we've strengthened at the back, It's possible our CB pairing could be the same as it was 5 months ago in April.  But the other pressing question is whether we have filled the Skipp & Emi shaped holes.

If we were to do any better than lose by a narrow goal is that any indication that this window has indeed improved us on the field? 

I know it's hard to judge on one game, but there's an easy comparison to be made.  For me, it's going to be quite telling of the fortunes that lay ahead and what we've learnt.

• Like 3

Don't forget that one defeat was the new manager bounce, and the other was because our team were half-cut from celebrations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Don't forget that one defeat was the new manager bounce, and the other was because our team were half-cut from celebrations.

They are good points, forgot the managerial change in the away game,

But, we have excuses going in to this one too, i.e. we've got new signings that have barely played competitive matches together (if at all).

This is why I wondered if it was possible at this early stage to draw any kind of conclusion.  That and one-off crunch games like this can just spew out weird results/performances, particularly if nerves play a part.

And we can't rule out an early VAR decision going their way either.

I'm thinking that a draw is progression at this point, but i don't know if that's being defeatist when we should be looking at all 3 pts at home really.

You're right about not judging it all on 1 game but it's certainly more relevant than any of the games thus far. One thing we really struggled with last time around was the teams around us.

For the sanity of some of our fans I think we need a result.

• Like 2

Good question and certainly one in most fan's minds. I'm sure we all have differing views on the matter but for me, yes, it's a perfect measure. If we can swim rather than sink then optimism will increase and may end up proving ideal. Not win, and I include a draw in this, and I feel we will lose faith in the project. Of course it's not game over but it's a fair reaction at this point, to either be really optimistic about the season, or downbeat. Personally, I am so excited for this. I'll be well behind the team, whoever he picks in the 11, and hope it pays off. I'll be fairly negative should a win not come about though. 

For me, the performance is the key, but after the tough start we've had we need a result as well. We deserved a draw against Leicester but didn't get it. After 5 games (including the cup) and a full week of training, our new players should be settling in now. A win could turn around our season. OTBC!

• Like 1

I’d say it’s the first real chance to see how our chances are at staying in the league and competing with the bottom half of the league. Result might not be as important as performance but would be good to build some momentum. Intriguing tactile battle for sure. 

It has to be a win and nothing else. Allowing other possible strugglers to take points from us, at home especially, points to a dark and foreboding future.

31 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

For me, the performance is the key

Not for me, an ugly 1-0 win would make me very happy!!!

• Like 3

After a good first half against Villa, they’ve played poorly and I think that perhaps Xisco is too inexperienced for this league. All my mates are worried that they’re going to lose to us but then they think that Xisco will get the sack and that won’t be so bad.

I think that even at this early stage of the season it’s a must win game.

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

Not for me, an ugly 1-0 win would make me very happy!!!

Absolutely this. Don't care if we are **** for 90 mins and score off Pukki's **** as long as we win.

The result is everything.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Absolutely this. Don't care if we are **** for 90 mins and score off Pukki's **** as long as we win.

The result is everything.

QPR away, I remember that well.

although I think it was different anatomy used 

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

I'm gonna watch Wolves v Brentford that's on soon on BT before I leave for Carra......See if the Bees are just having beginners luck.....and if they're our benchmark....

Our game in my opinion, is a must play well and not lose game.....

46 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I'm gonna watch Wolves v Brentford that's on soon on BT before I leave for Carra......See if the Bees are just having beginners luck.....and if they're our benchmark....

Our game in my opinion, is a must play well and not lose game.....

I said it after they beat Arsenal that I think Brentfrd are going to have a similar season to our last Prem season

Start out well, get some good results but then as the season goes on and they tire and teams figure them out they end up on a long, painful losing streak and end up going down

Appreciate Farke trying to reduce pressure on the team but he knows that anything less than a point today will be a massive kick to the confidence both on the pitch and in the stands, confidence is everything therefore a minimum of a point today is essential.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I said it after they beat Arsenal that I think Brentfrd are going to have a similar season to our last Prem season

Start out well, get some good results but then as the season goes on and they tire and teams figure them out they end up on a long, painful losing streak and end up going down

The Bees are currently 2-0 up away at Wolves.....another 45+ mins to go and plenty of the season left.....

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

And? We beat Man City and spanked Newcastle. We all saw how it ended

Do you think the Bees will concede goals and lose the same amount of games that we did in the final 3rd or so of their season akin to we did?.....

Its going to be interesting as Watford are a good example of the kind of team we struggled against last time round - physical, athletic and able to bully us. If we look similarly like we dont know how to deal with them it doesnt fill me eoth confidence for our otger games against the Premier League lower orders. However if we look like we can combat that then I'll be much more confident about our chances longer term. 

People need to take the focus off of the back four - it just displays a too simplistic way of looking at football that says conceding goals is about a poor defence. If only life were that simple.

Not scoring puts the defence under increased pressure. Not retaining possession of the ball as well means that the opposition will put the defence under more pressure with more shots and chances.

Essentially, if you don't keep hold of the ball, and hold it in the oppositions half, or even better, final third, for longer you put your defence under more and more pressure. If you don't take your chances, if you don't make better passes etc.

Against Arsenal and against Leicester, we were short in those key forward plays. We need to see more there before we can truly point the finger at the CB's.

• Like 1

Watford signed Sissoko and Etebo to play in their midfield, we signed Gilmour and Lees-Melou. That about sums it up really, Watford approached this season smartly, we're living in dreamland. 

They had a whole season to see that you need physicality and to be well drilled, hard working and disciplined off the ball in this league, yet the club either didn't see it or are stubbornly living in a fantasy world. 

Agree. We keep trying to play amazing tippy tippy tactics, using very young and lightweight players, signing u21 wingers. When what we need is some grunt in the middle- we really do look much, much more ordinary minus skipp 

I remember posting on a thread last season the Bournemouth and Watford results on our romp to the title were warning signs of our where we were in ability to compete in the PL, some had comments that agreed but lots dismissed those concerned.

Not trying to say those concerned are vindicated, no one wants to be presumably.

Our continued inability to compete with teams with a decent mix of quality and physicality, so pretty much every PL team, is super worrying though.