cambridgeshire canary

Farkes angry rant 'Rupp should be first on the team sheet'

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think its important to remember managers arent infallible though. We all saw Worthington persist with Hughes, Neil with Naismith and a couple of managers with Russell Martin at centre back. Eventually it was kind of shown that the fans were right on these players. 

It can be down to trust (does Farke have more faith in Rupp to carry out his instructions to the letter than others?), stubborness ('I paid £8m for this Scottish waste of space so I'm going to play him until the end of time!') or sometimes a contrarion streak (there was a time at Ipswich where Mick Mcarthy told fans the more they chanted for a certain player the less likely he was to bring them on). 

Farke has no dobut earned more benefit of the doubt than most but I'd suggest if Rupp continues to start more often than not that we'll go down. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the entirely neutral Whoscored have him rated as the 7th worst player in the Premier League so far this season. So Farke is on a bit of an island here.

Of course managers aren't going to get everything right but they're working with way more info than us. For example, I doubt Farke is even slightly concerned with Rupps WhoScored rating, as he has access to far more data about the player.

I think its fairly straightforward that he played against arsenal predominantly because he wasn't away on international duty. And he wasn't even our worst midfielder on the day. The fact Rupp is therefore targeted by some (spearheaded by that Jack Reeve guy in all hoensty) seems weird.

• Like 1

What Farke said was neither angry nor a rant, we should give him the respect that he gives the players.

What he says is true, we seem too anxious to bring in the new players and are quickly writing off established players to make way for them. 

Rupp looked great last season but we have lost every game he has started in the Prem and he is prone to mistakes. Farke was very quick to replace him against Man City and in the past has shown the door to players who he didn't consider good enough at this level. 

It wasn't so long ago that Farke was justifying Drmic in a similar way. Sorensen also did a great job for us last season but hasn't had a chance although he could offer more options. 

Ultimately Farke makes the decisions, we have to get behind the players. We have waited a long time for the opportunity. In this league support is our greatest asset

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wirecanary said:

Just astounded at this rant by Farke .. Supporters in the main have been nothing but supportive of all players on the pitch at grounds  this season and I was at Man City and all players were applauded at end despite the drubbing so don’t know who the hell he directing comments too ??  Who has criticised Hanley or Gibson ??  Find it quite bemusing The only thing I found myself questioning is his insistence in flogging players rather than bringing subs on earlier Pukki being prime example . Time to do talking on pitch end off. 

Agreed - ditto at Arsenal re the reaction from fans during and at end of game. As has been mentioned many times, we are arguably the most subservient set of fans in the PL and bearing in mind all that Farke has said about us since Day One..........'wonderful club, fantastic owners and fans' it does seem mightily thin skinned to start swiping back (even if it's just the '5%' in his sights) based on some comments on Facebook or Twitter. Perhaps he might care to look at this forum where the vast majority of debates feature well reasoned and decent arguments whether it's in support of him and the players or not.    

13 hours ago, chicken said:

Or was it that if Tzolis hadn't been injured, after his cup exploits, he would have started instead of Cantwell?

It is also about Farke getting some PL time into untested legs, get their baptisms, get them tasting it a bit, wanting more. Keeps other players on their toes. Tzolis is going to give you better defensive cover I feel, seems a bit of a bustler. Broad shoulders, happy to get stuck in. Was desperate to play Vs Arsenal as Farke has said. 

That's a big call as Cantwell had made the most tackles in the Prem before he was replaced. 

Tzolis looks a similar player to Rashica, it was Dowell who kept Cantwell out of the Arsenal starting line-up. 

33 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Clearly! 😁

I gave up on spellchecking all the words my iPhone likes to change, I found I had better things to do in my life. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I gave up on spellchecking all the words my iPhone likes to change, I found I had better things to do in my life. 

I conker....and topiary a green with hugh......

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I think its important to remember managers arent infallible though. We all saw Worthington persist with Hughes, Neil with Naismith and a couple of managers with Russell Martin at centre back. Eventually it was kind of shown that the fans were right on these players. 

It can be down to trust (does Farke have more faith in Rupp to carry out his instructions to the letter than others?), stubborness ('I paid £8m for this Scottish waste of space so I'm going to play him until the end of time!') or sometimes a contrarion streak (there was a time at Ipswich where Mick Mcarthy told fans the more they chanted for a certain player the less likely he was to bring them on). 

Farke has no dobut earned more benefit of the doubt than most but I'd suggest if Rupp continues to start more often than not that we'll go down. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the entirely neutral Whoscored have him rated as the 7th worst player in the Premier League so far this season. So Farke is on a bit of an island here.

I absolutely agree with this in general, but at some point in life you have to go with the expert opinion even if it doesn't tally with your own. Given Farke has done pretty well in his time here, I'm willing to accept there's something in Rupp that most fans don't see.

As for statistics, we all know they only give a very limited interpretation of reality. Useful for some things, but I really don't think you can use them to draw any sort of valid conclusion with regards to ranking players' abilities across the league - particularly when you look at who we have played so far and the limited sample size. I suspect a single goal or assist is going to boost someone up the charts pretty quickly at this stage so wouldn't read anything into it.

45 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

That's a big call as Cantwell had made the most tackles in the Prem before he was replaced. 

Tzolis looks a similar player to Rashica, it was Dowell who kept Cantwell out of the Arsenal starting line-up. 

PotAtoes, Potartoes.

Whichever way you want to cook it. Both were replaced. I think it was felt that the opposition attacks were mainly coming from the flanks - so make of that what you will.

Edited by chicken

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

I absolutely agree with this in general, but at some point in life you have to go with the expert opinion even if it doesn't tally with your own. Given Farke has done pretty well in his time here, I'm willing to accept there's something in Rupp that most fans don't see.

As for statistics, we all know they only give a very limited interpretation of reality. Useful for some things, but I really don't think you can use them to draw any sort of valid conclusion with regards to ranking players' abilities across the league - particularly when you look at who we have played so far and the limited sample size. I suspect a single goal or assist is going to boost someone up the charts pretty quickly at this stage so wouldn't read anything into it.

No I agree you don't take the stats in isolation. But when I'm watching a player who looks ineffective and the stats suggest he's ineffective then I don't think its unreasonable to conclude he's ineffective, even if Farke disagrees. 

20 hours ago, fredherring said:

He's spot on. 

The ignorant, moronic, lack or respect Rupp gets on here and social media is shameful.

Actually watch the games. Watch him. 

Farke has laid out why he's picked on a plate now. Even the most ignorant fan can now see exactly why he's picked and what he does. 

Well said 

19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We'll see, but all that praise and calls for support for Hanley, Gibson, Rupp and Pukki could mean they may not be in the starting line-up tomorrow........

I'm now expecting - 

Krul

Aarons  Omobamidele Kabak Williams

Gilmour  Normann  McLean

Rashica       Sargent or Idah         Tzolis         

Why would we drop Pukki. Surely if we are waiting to give our best line up a try then Pukki deserves the time as well so he can be supplied by that best line up. 

6 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Why would we drop Pukki. Surely if we are waiting to give our best line up a try then Pukki deserves the time as well so he can be supplied by that best line up. 

You need to read my whole post.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You need to read my whole post.

I’m not having a dig at you. You suggested that’s what the manager might do and I would question that very strongly. 

Sargent is untested and I’ve seen noting in Idah to convince me he’s a premier league player. 
We have to keep faith in our first choice striker whilst bringing all of the other players in to support!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Bless him. If only Farke could win a game in the Premier league then he might be taken seriously. 

Ouch

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’m not Ruups biggest fan. Thought he did well at Arsenal though.

The reality is, he isn’t good enough. Farke can shout at as many fans as he wants. There must be a reason people are not impressed with his selection. 

He wasn’t even a starter in the championship, so why is he all of a sudden “first name on the team sheet”? Sometimes Farkes stubbornness gets the best of him and he will most likely start him today, just to prove a point. Fingers crossed he has a great game and we win. Otherwise Farke will start getting some of the criticism pointed at him.

This is exactly why Farke is making this point. He WAS a starter in the Championship until he was injured, he was even preferred to McLean. And both he and Skipp performed well together as the two deeper midfielders to the degree that the majority of fans both on here and elsewhere were saying how they felt we were now seeing why Rupp was signed.

20 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We'll see, but all that praise and calls for support for Hanley, Gibson, Rupp and Pukki could mean they may not be in the starting line-up tomorrow........

I'm now expecting - 

Krul

Aarons  Omobamidele Kabak Williams

Gilmour  Normann  McLean

Rashica       Sargent or Idah         Tzolis         

I have said this elsewhere across the interwebs, and knowing my luck Farke will go and do the opposite, but I simply cannot see a back four without any leadership or lengthy experience. Watford may well require more than just youthful enthusiasm, it may need digging deep and someone to rally around. Gibson and Hanley are leaders - none in that back four are. It would leave McLean and Krul as our only real options for Captain too.

Hanley, for me, HAS to start. He has the pace, he has presence and he has experience. He was played as the left of the CB two Vs Arsenal and they got little joy down that side. I can't see why we wouldn't persevere with the same back line after last week unless Farke feels that against this opposition, Gibson or Kabak can offer something more than Omobamidele.