Dean Coneys boots

For those who claim we have been ambitious

Many have claimed that this summer we pushed the boat out and went for it. Simply not true. Here is an impartial article that makes clear that we lack a desire to risk in order to stay in this division. 
https://www.1sports1.com/premier-league-clubs-ranked-by-net-spend-for-last-five-years/?fbclid=IwAR33Vqzz2DQPup8LmE6JDvnvz_f31d4s1Qs79IDbXhkq5JfN4p-O0Gu9AsU

22 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Many have claimed that this summer we pushed the boat out and went for it. Simply not true. Here is an impartial article that makes clear that we lack a desire to risk in order to stay in this division. 
https://www.1sports1.com/premier-league-clubs-ranked-by-net-spend-for-last-five-years/?fbclid=IwAR33Vqzz2DQPup8LmE6JDvnvz_f31d4s1Qs79IDbXhkq5JfN4p-O0Gu9AsU

Ah yes, you're right, I must've imagined us signing 11 first team players this season and committing to ~£70mil in transfer fees, because nothing could document the latest transfer window better than our... ***checks notes***... net spend over the past five years.

So bizarre, its like you couldn't actually use the most recent window as a stick to beat the club with so you just moved the goalposts back a bit.

• Like 9

lol, I could do a better job using transfermarkt data and rough wage estimations.  None of us know what risks are being taken, and what money is being held in case we need it in January.

For starters, Our player wage bill is far greater cost than the signings made - yet it's not even mentioned - Hardly what I'd class as making it clear that we lack desire to put the finances at risk.

These were last Nov figures:-

image.thumb.png.90361b7799fa1bdf9426e6cdf9929053.png

It's going to be a while till we get an idea of how well this season was managed, but one things for sure if we uncover a few gems with this seasons signings credit to Webber and his team for bringing in higher value targets at sensible prices.

If you're a calculated professional who strives to be best in class, you don't go taking risks to appease forum users.

• Like 2

The club spent 60m on transfers in a year where it had a 35m hole in finances due to Covid.

Honestly the club's current model is far more ambitious than just borrowing against next year's potential earnings and hoping it works out.

• Like 1

Seriously? He starts by stating THIS seasons spend, but then brings in the previous 4 seasons,  3 in the Championship, in order to slew the figures to fit his biased concept of the truth. As an expat of many years now, I rely on the various boards to get a feel as to what is happening with our club, but idiotic themes like this do this board, and serious fans, a great disservice. Is there an ignore button on here whereby you can have some posters input bypassed?

• Like 1

I don't quite get the OP's point. Is he suggesting that the club borrows in order to finance player purchases or does he think it should seek new investment for that purpose?

All complaining, nothing concrete by way of solution. He's probably never been in business.

I'm one of the few who thinks that the club may have missed a trick by not embarking upon the stadium expansion during the lockout on the basis that all businesses, whilst enjoying success, should expand their infrastructure in order to progress. 'Speculate to accumulate,' as they say. The work needs doing sooner rather than later in any case.

A loan, when interest rates are low might well turn out cheaper, or at least not much more expensive,  than the cost of the upheaval (and inflation with delay) when the work is eventually undertaken, and it inevitably overlaps into a season. Sell-outs of that extra five thousand seats or more would also be assured, for the foreseeable at least.

Anyhow, that's all another matter, but if the club is to be accused of lack of ambition then failing to "strike whilst the iron is hot"  with regards expansion is the only valid criticism as I see it. Then again, as with the OP, I'm not in charge of the purse strings or have access to the complete picture.**

My thinking therefore perhaps becomes as impractical as the OP's. I can see with my eyes though and cannot fail to have noticed the array of modern, fancy structures that bedeck many football grounds these days, even at some lower league, minnow clubs, and compare these with our own embarrassment of a tiny main stand, with the cathedral in the background being more prominent than the director's box and wonder why that decaying edifice has yet to be nominated as 'a place of historical interest' whilst grounds like White Hart Lane win the 2021 RIBA National Award. 

** Webber has previously said that the matter is "always on his desk," so we probably need to accept stagnation for now, although an up-date would be appreciated.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

Sorry, "The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium."

(AS opposed to the "Tottering Norwich City Stadium?")

Edited by BroadstairsR

23 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Yes let's spend 100m every window and end up screwed. What a pointless thread.

He used our refusal to do that as a means to question the club's ambition. There is an argument in favour of claiming that our approach to player recruitment is, perhaps, amongst the most ambitious of all. There is almost always an eye on the future, as well as the present.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

I'm ambitious to be a billionaire - I have sold my house and have identified a horse to put it on at Newmarket!

You don't get much more ambitious than that, eh DCB 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Our player wage bill is far greater cost than the signings made 

This. It's all about wages. Transfer fees in isolation must be fairly easy to manage in terms of TV income, staged payments etc. It's the wages and the resultant cashflow issues which are tricky. I doubt that Normann and Kabak (for example) came cheap.

We've lost a few lower earners and gained a lot of higher ones to add to the uplift clauses we undoubtedly already had in contracts. Added to the Covid losses of income, I'd say we have pretty much gone to the wire for this season.

The club's self funding model will mean that it is quite unlikely that we will stay in the EPL for more than one season. As a business owner, I wouldn't recommend getting in unsustainable amounts of debt to keep in the EPL for the sake of it. On that basis, the club can go no further with the current owners and that is then down to the individual fan whether they are happy with that or not. 

I keep seeing varied figures regarding our net spend for this season, but I don't think it is near £50M given that we sold Emi. The January window offers poor value and if anything, the club is more likely to sell than buy. 

Edited by komakino

5 minutes ago, komakino said:

The club's self funding model will mean that it is quite unlikely that we will stay in the EPL for more than one season. As a business owner, I wouldn't recommend getting in unsustainable amounts of debt to keep in the EPL for the sake of it.

The self sustaining model is the ONLY way that clubs can prosper unless they have a "sugar daddy/ mummy." The investor model doesn't work long term for most clubs that don't have a distinctive brand advantage.

As a business owner (as I have been) you will understand that the reason people invest and buy businesses is to make a profit and therefore take/ make money OUT of the business rather than just put it in.

In short, if you don't have a "sugar daddy/ mummy" you have a choice between an investor model that wants to take money OUT of the club or self-sustaining model which just wants it to sustain itself on a not-for-profit basis,

We have an advantage over Burnley, Watford, Southampton etc because their owners need to take money out of the club for profit and to pay debt.

• Like 1

What is the point of that article? It's not even comparing like for like, we haven't been in the PL every year for 5 years, neither have Villa, Watford, Brentford, Leeds etc. Pointless nonsense.

Is the argument that we should have spent more in our promotion seasons, despite getting promoted as champions twice? Or that if we had spent more money this summer we would have beaten Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal? Or, perhaps if we'd spent more money, whingebags would not have anything else to whinge about? 

Whingers gotta whinge, thank the good Lord for their existence and the fact that they post on here and give the reasonable-minded something to shoot down. Thanks DCB, that's me another 10 minutes closer to the weekend.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

😂

One of his most intellectually retarded posts to date. So, by the same logic the year in which I took out a big mortgage to buy a house represented a year showing ambition, and previous and subsequent years in which I did not take out such a loan represents lack of ambition. FFS!

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts – for support rather than for illumination" (Andrew Lang) 

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

This is either the worst troll post in recent PinkUn history or DCB is even thicker than he lets on 

13 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

For our type of model...self funding..we are the most ambitious...and not only that...the most successful and ambitious club out of all 92 English clubs...no more, no less than that.

• Like 1

That some consider our spending to be ‘ambitious’ demonstrates, fundamentally, the incompatibility with the owners’ wealth and maintaining our premier league status.

I did say it was the best window I can remember - that can be true whilst it S till being the case that we didn’t spend enough to compete. The step up is huge. Time will tell. But so far, with zero goals from open play and not a single point, it isn’t exactly looking rosy 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I did say it was the best window I can remember - that can be true whilst it S till being the case that we didn’t spend enough to compete. The step up is huge. Time will tell. But so far, with zero goals from open play and not a single point, it isn’t exactly looking rosy 

Not that your trolling deserves a sensible reply, but you gave "fair credit to the board" a couple weeks ago only to then essentially try and slam them with a pathetically misinformed, almost bordering on completely irrelevant, article you found online.

We're really working hard to find new levels of pathetic on here sometimes.

• Like 1