Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Burnley confirmed staying in the Prem this season

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel free to hate them but that right there is a manager and a club that know how to survive.

Hard to argue with this , but what is your reasoning behind sharing it?

Do you want the same approach at NcFc ? ...

I rate Dyche and I think he has done an excellent job at Burnley! But I rate DF too and he has done a great job here... 

Our team doesn't have the physical traits the Burnley sides have had the past few years , nor the tactics ... I suppose that is what you're getting at...

Look at the nuts and bolts of their squad and there are probably 4 players that would get into our team at the moment (Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, McNeil, Wood). Very much a team we should be competing with at a similar level of achievement and I will be disappointed if we aren't at least within 2/3 points of them by the end of the season, I really hope we can better them, and I think we have the talent this year to do so. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Look at the nuts and bolts of their squad and there are probably 4 players that would get into our team at the moment (Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, McNeil, Wood). Very much a team we should be competing with at a similar level of achievement and I will be disappointed if we aren't at least within 2/3 points of them by the end of the season, I really hope we can better them, and I think we have the talent this year to do so. 

Thats five😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I would not trade places with Burnley, that's for sure, nor would I trade our recent history of successes (and failures) for their stable but rather boring successes. 

I prefer our football for sure.

But in reality its up to the Burnley fans what they want to watch.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Burnley fans are loving it this season,16k in attendance for Brighton and 18k for Leeds. 

I reckon,in reality, the majority of Burnley fans are thinking, so,4 more years of long ball launching and hoping for the best. Would you really want 4 more yeras of that.I know it prob guarantees you premier league football,but not my idea of a day out!!

I think they're pretty much goners this season, aged squad overrated manger who will come unstuck at some point. Only question is whether we go with them. 

• Like 1

What's most concerning with Burnley is how long they've been in the league, and yet still unable to spend out on players.  Their wage bill sits around 100m/year, those attendances can't help either? 

It does make you wonder where we would be in 5 seasons if we stayed in this league, particularly with a different brand of football and good attendances.  Is it possible I guess is what I'm asking?

They've just spent £30m on 3 players this summer to complement a squad which stayed up comfortably last season. They have an England goalkeeper, and England centre back and in McNeil one of the brightest young players in the league. Chris Wood scores at least 15 every season; Barnes at least 10.

What evidence does anyone have that for some reason they are suddenly doomed?

Surely all of that makes them the ultimate self funded club? They have done what we are trying to do.

Edited by sgncfc
  • Like 4

True enough SG. Maybe I imagined it, but didn't Webber mention that we are trying to emulate their process of getting promoted, trousering the Prem income & then coming back up to make a better fist of it, improving the infrastructure & then having an extended stay in the top flight? But with (hopefully) a style & philosophy a bit easier on the eye. 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

What's most concerning with Burnley is how long they've been in the league, and yet still unable to spend out on players.  Their wage bill sits around 100m/year, those attendances can't help either? 

It does make you wonder where we would be in 5 seasons if we stayed in this league, particularly with a different brand of football and good attendances.  Is it possible I guess is what I'm asking?

We have greater potential than Burnley. Bigger gates; better developed commercial department etc. Stripping out TV money, our revenue would be several million more than Burnley. They are in an even worse position now because their new "investors" have borrowed tens of millions which has to be paid back + about 9% interest p.a. to be paid on top.

However, any club outside the top 7 or 8 is going to get relegated every few years. The key  thing is not to get too saddled with debt so that you can come back up soon.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Surely all of that makes them the ultimate self funded club? They have done what we are trying to do.

They were - but then the owners sold to American investors for about £200 million. Much of this was paid for by borrowing that the club has to pay back an which is secured against the clubs assets. It is believed that they owe MSD £60 million at interest of over 9% p.a.

It always amuses me when fans accuse us of having a poor succession plan! 🤦‍♂️

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

• Thanks 2

The fact Dyche has signed such a contract tells me he's going to get more funds to spend. He's a superb manager, pound-for-pound and IMO one of the best in the top flight for consistently eking out the best from his men.

• Like 1

1 point from 4 games. They obviously need to improve that - and quickly - to survive this season.