Sign in to follow this  
Somerset exile

Long Ball Option

I have just been watching the 1984 replay of Norwich against Watford where we won 6-1.

Two of the first 3 goals were as a result of a long ball from the goalkeeper.

The first was just one bounce and then headed in by John Deehan over their advancing goalie.

I am not saying that we go exclusively long ball but it is an option to playing out from the back the whole time and sometimes it works .

I remember that game. It was blowing a gale which made for interesting long balls. Dixie made the most of the conditions. He was a really clever footballer and of course it was Watford with Steve Sherwood in goal.

28 minutes ago, Somerset exile said:

I have just been watching the 1984 replay of Norwich against Watford where we won 6-1.

Two of the first 3 goals were as a result of a long ball from the goalkeeper.

The first was just one bounce and then headed in by John Deehan over their advancing goalie.

I am not saying that we go exclusively long ball but it is an option to playing out from the back the whole time and sometimes it works .

We probably, no, definitely would have had a different formation and more chance of a long ball succeeding

If we play long ball against Watford Sat we almost certainly lose. They're better at it and more set up for it with the players they have.

An option to play long I am sure will feature in the coming games. Mixing things up and with ability to take this route, puts pressure on the opposition especially if we are successful with goals scored. Interesting times. 

It'd be interested to see the chances created vs chances conceded as a result of us playing out from the back.

Whilst I love the idea of it and understand the logic, other teams set up knowing exactly what we're going to do. We need to have the option of going long to give the other team something to think about.

47 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It'd be interested to see the chances created vs chances conceded as a result of us playing out from the back.

Whilst I love the idea of it and understand the logic, other teams set up knowing exactly what we're going to do. We need to have the option of going long to give the other team something to think about.

You'd probably be surprised how successful it has be for us. Not so much this season, but there were definitely good signs against Arsenal (aside from Krul's poor kicking at times).

Of course we have the option of going long when teams overcommit to the press. But there's no sense in hoofing it up for Pukki to try to head it. It has to be weighted balls for our pacy players to run on to.

Playing direct doesn’t need to be long ball to big men, my view of the modern day longer ball approach would be to target the space in behind full backs with longer diagonal passes to speedy wingers, I’d love to see Tzolis and Rashica on either wing being able to use their pace with Gilmour spraying diagonals behind teams to get them turned around. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Playing direct doesn’t need to be long ball to big men, my view of the modern day longer ball approach would be to target the space in behind full backs with longer diagonal passes to speedy wingers, I’d love to see Tzolis and Rashica on either wing being able to use their pace with Gilmour spraying diagonals behind teams to get them turned around. 

That's clearly the plan, we've been doing it.

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We’ve not started both in the same game yet. 

Oh I know. We have been hitting the wings quickly though.

Would not be surprised of we get Tzolis and Rashica for Watford. Could be a lot of fun.

18 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Oh I know. We have been hitting the wings quickly though.

Would not be surprised of we get Tzolis and Rashica for Watford. Could be a lot of fun.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed could be great 

A modern-day Chippy Crook would cause mayhem picking out Rachica & Tzolis with well-weighted diagonals! Apart from Gilmour, do we have anyone in our current squad who can play a through-ball that doesn't run out of play? 

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed could be great 

Every chance we'll see this on Saturday I think, with Normann behind Gilmour.

21 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

A modern-day Chippy Crook would cause mayhem picking out Rachica & Tzolis with well-weighted diagonals! Apart from Gilmour, do we have anyone in our current squad who can play a through-ball that doesn't run out of play? 

100% Less-Melou has got a lovely diagonal pass on him, although he takes a bit of time to carve it out, reminds me of how Beckham would shape up.  Great technique.

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

100% Less-Melou has got a lovely diagonal pass on him, although he takes a bit of time to carve it out, reminds me of how Beckham would shape up.  Great technique.

I'll look out for that then Google Bot!