Sign in to follow this  
How I Wrote Elastic Man

Whaling

The Faroes are absolutely gorgeous and I'll be back next year for the half-marathon in Torshavn. Looking at that though, the Faroese seem to be unhappy that protocol wasn't followed and that more were killed than usual rather than the notion that whaling / killing dolphins itself is shaky.

Although they do make an excellent point when they compare it to modern farming / breeding practices. Can't get much more free-range than a whale or dolphin, it's just a gruesome ending. I'd still consider that better than a battery hen or what happens in the life of your average cow.

The two strongest arguments against tend to be on animal numbers and on the healthiness of the meat, as there were reports that whale meat was quite heavily loaded with toxic chemicals such as cadmium and mercury.

Faroese to undertake a Review

I can understand the points regarding sustainability and TGS's comment on the nature of modern farming, to be fair 

But I would still rather see the end of this. If that can't happen, then I'd like to see a more humane way of hunting. And certainly no more incidents like the one that has just happened 

I used to work with their airline. Most Faroese are unrepentant and state, quite openly, that Denmark, and the EU should keep their noses out of what they consider to be their god given right.....inbred and ignorant as pig cr@p.

• Like 1

Denmark complaining about Faroese killing whales when Danish bacon is as popular as it is, is... interesting. I do think a lot of this comes from the images of seas turned red with blood and people get quite emotional about it.

I wonder how many people wound up by this get hot up on modern farming methods?

Just lob this cartoon in for the chuckle.

Might as well mention that I've eaten whale meat when on a cruise up on Svalbard. Odd taste that was quite hard to describe. It almost starts like beef but then ends up something rather different, and there's only a very faint fish aroma. Heard a few say it's quite similar to eating horse, but I've not eaten horse so can't comment.

But reindeer and musk ox, now you're talking. Had both of those in soup (reindeer in northern Norway, musk ox in Greenland), and both were splendid.

The big shame - Scandinavia and the World (satwcomic.com)

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

I used to work with their airline. Most Faroese are unrepentant and state, quite openly, that Denmark, and the EU should keep their noses out of what they consider to be their god given right.....inbred and ignorant as pig cr@p.

As you will undoubtedly know, unlike Denmark, The Faroes are not in the EU, and don't use the freedoms. They have a trade deal with the EU, though. I  think there have been a couple of spats between  the two in the past, and the common fisheries policy is an issue for the islands

I've found the locals to be ok, but I  guess like many islanders they don't like being pushed about 

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

To wipe out a near 1500 superpod of Atlantic dolphins would be abhorrent to any normal person. I get that it's their tradition, but most of these carcasses will be left to rot. 

Nope these idiots are from the 1300’s propped up by the amusingly Colonial Danish Government 

• Like 1