Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Posting on the Pinkun

23 minutes ago, Penelope Catchpole said:

Hello, my darlings.

My employer, Mister Chops, has asked me to let you know that he is quite well and the wounds are healing nicely. 

His finest hour and magnum opus, the Pink Un Panto, is now 12 years old and, frankly, it was downhill all the way after that.  He became something of a bully, and, thusly and justly, down came the fabled "Banhammer of Pete".  

I'm sure if he were here in person then he would be glad to see some of the old crowd still here, in all their various shades of hope and despair.

Love,

Penny

Is Mr Chops an Asuka fan? I take it all back. 

9 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

Morty became some sort of self proclaimed controller of the forum and caused way too much trouble, being deliberately obtuse and hounded some posters he took exception to.

He'd probably do much better on here since blocking posters became an option. Just couldn't help himself and it got to a stage where you knew if a thread had gone over 3 pages in would be Morty arguing with someone he had an issue with, rather than any decent debate. 

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

He'd probably do much better on here since blocking posters became an option. Just couldn't help himself and it got to a stage where you knew if a thread had gone over 3 pages in would be Morty arguing with lakey, rather than any decent debate. 

Fixed it for you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I joined back in 2003 I think and was a bit disappointed to lose my post count when it relaunched. How sad is that?

I think this is a surprisingly strong fan community compared to other forums. I value it as more of a reader that a poster living in the West Country. 

I wouldn't ban anybody but this is a kinder place since Morty was prevented from high jacking every OP. I read from others that he is a decent bloke in person.  How odd that anonymity can make people into a keyboard warrior.

As Penelope proves, a ban is not permanent. Welcome back Chops. Behave!😉

2 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I joined back in 2003 I think and was a bit disappointed to lose my post count when it relaunched. How sad is that?

I think this is a surprisingly strong fan community compared to other forums. I value it as more of a reader that a poster living in the West Country. 

I wouldn't ban anybody but this is a kinder place since Morty was prevented from high jacking every OP. I read from others that he is a decent bloke in person.  How odd that anonymity can make people into a keyboard warrior.

Why did your post count disappear? Mine didn’t. Did you have to create a new account?

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I just joined the forum on a bit of a whim 14 years ago when I was 17, which probably explains the lack of thought that went into my username.

I love your user name! No-one is going to mistake you for one of the hundreds of combinations of yellow or canary (sorry guys).

• Like 1

Was a reader for many years, think it was a provocative Smudger post that pushed me to sign up (bet he did wonders for forum subscriptions). Always good for info, whether it’s transfer news from Bethnal or finances from Purple. It’s also less risky to browse than some internet sites while at work :). Always amazed how we can all support the same team, see the same games, read the same stories and have completely different opinions on it but the opinions I like reading the most are those that challenge mine

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Yes Mr C has rather graciously come on here since, via ‘a friend’ (the kind on  whose behalf people ask for ‘intimate health’ advice), a la Penny post above, to explain - although pointedly not to excuse - some stuff he posted.  He’d been going through a rough patch and regretted affecting others. Fair play

Along with others, I missed that period myself or at least have forgotten.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:
18 hours ago, king canary said:

He'd probably do much better on here since blocking posters became an option. Just couldn't help himself and it got to a stage where you knew if a thread had gone over 3 pages in would be Morty arguing with lakey, rather than any decent debate. 

Fixed it for you 

To be fair he ruffled more feathers than just mine and in the end it was spats with other posters that caused his ban.

1 hour ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Was a reader for many years, think it was a provocative Smudger post that pushed me to sign up (bet he did wonders for forum subscriptions). Always good for info, whether it’s transfer news from Bethnal or finances from Purple. It’s also less risky to browse than some internet sites while at work :). Always amazed how we can all support the same team, see the same games, read the same stories and have completely different opinions on it but the opinions I like reading the most are those that challenge mine

That's very kind, but I only started doing it about 12 or so years ago because no-one else here - or even more relevantly on the EDP - was doing it. I was an amateur and am happy now to leave the field to posters (Badger, for one, but not the only one) who really know what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

To be fair he ruffled more feathers than just mine and in the end it was spats with other posters that caused his ban.

I suspect what got him banned was person(s) unknown crying to teacher. 

• Like 1

I to was just a reader for many years until i finally decided to contribute my own junk pile of posts in 2015. My City watching days go back to the era of Ron Davies, Bill Punton, Tommy Bryceland etc. As a youngster i was always amazed how on a Saturday how the Pink Un was put together and delivered to Newsagents not that much after 5pm...we talk today of how the internet is an almost instant news type scenario but in those days the delivery of that sports paper was truly awesome in its speed.

That is the main reason why i joined this forum, the Pink Un is so synonymous with the City and the county that i felt my own humble doodlings would at least be a small part of keeping its name alive, which  of course is always under threat or feels that way. Im sure other forums and boards are decent enough but ive gotten used to the posters and their banter on here that being elsewhere would'nt be the same.

Sure do miss a few of the come and gones but its usually a most recent one that my old memory would recall, that would be Lapps of course, miss his input .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

The moderation here has always struck me as sensible and as light touch as possible and certainly not officiously schoolmasterish..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Not necessarily unknown to some either 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I suspect what got him banned was the content of his posts, SDP pressing the banned button. 

Corrected that for you Dunc! 

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Why did your post count disappear? Mine didn’t. Did you have to create a new account?

I had the same issue.

• Like 1

Joined around 2004-05 when Joe Ferrari turned off the official message board as ‘Facebook was the future’

had various guises down the years before settling with the name of our greatest ever defender with a play on words gag which features the best film from the 80s (coincidentally) 

there was a snazzy picture which went alongside the username but that has fallen by the way side 

don’t take this board as seriously as I used too and generally post 3 words 

I used to use BBC not606 board but that got Sh!t so I came here in the moderation days. 

Been here on and off ever since, met loads of nice people from here and some turned into proper mates. Met some bells aswell but I suppose that’s par for the course. 

From what I can remember of Morty, he got hounded around the messageboard threads until he responded with something that one of four or five posters didn’t like. 
There was a group who poked the nest constantly and then boney little fingers poked the report button. 
It was a calculated witch hunt in my opinion 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Joined around 2004-05 when Joe Ferrari turned off the official message board as ‘Facebook was the future’

had various guises down the years before settling with the name of our greatest ever defender with a play on words gag which features the best film from the 80s (coincidentally) 

there was a snazzy picture which went alongside the username but that has fallen by the way side 

don’t take this board as seriously as I used too and generally post 3 words 

No. Bowkett and McNally shut down the club's message-board. Ferrari was just the messenger trying to spin their decision, but he made it plain that certain posters there had given B&M the justification they needed to pull the plug, which was probably what they had always wanted to do anyway.

5 minutes ago, Leedscanary said:

I used to use BBC not606 board but that got Sh!t so I came here in the moderation days. 

Been here on and off ever since, met loads of nice people from here and some turned into proper mates. Met some bells aswell but I suppose that’s par for the course. 

From what I can remember of Morty, he got hounded around the messageboard threads until he responded with something that one of four or five posters didn’t like. 
There was a group who poked the nest constantly and then boney little fingers poked the report button. 
It was a calculated witch hunt in my opinion 

Very much so.

Pete doesn’t sit and read every post on every thread and it’s ludicrous to even think that he would. No, person(s) unknown definitely made a point of ensuring that Pete was aware. Weirdos. 

5 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Very much so.

Pete doesn’t sit and read every post on every thread and it’s ludicrous to even think that he would. No, person(s) unknown definitely made a point of ensuring that Pete was aware. Weirdos. 

That's a massive injustice to SDP. He doesn't need to read every post, but he knows who to look out for, and issues warnings / bannings as he sees fit, and a good job he does too.   

This board would be a lot worse without his due diligence. 

You also think that he would just ban someone because they had been reported? give your head a wobble Duncan! 

Edited by Greavsy

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Very much so.

I’ll tell you who it wasn’t - Lakey. 

Him and Morty used to have some really good discussions, albeit heated. I’m convinced that someone else used to get offended on Lakey’s behalf and press the button. 

And it was Lakey himself who told me that he had never reported a post on the Pink Un when we first met 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

That's a massive injustice to SDP. He doesn't need to read every post, but he knows who to look out for, and issues warnings / bannings as he sees fit, and a good job he does too.   

You also think that he would just ban someone because they had been reported? give your head a wobble Duncan! 

Nah, I remember in those days Pete told me over a pint at a Pups event that the board pretty much looked after itself and he only had to get involved when those little fingers alerted him to something that wasn’t liked. 
(Although the memories of those Pups events are hazy, I’m sure the barman there was a bit dodgy)

8 minutes ago, Leedscanary said:

Nah, I remember in those days Pete told me over a pint at a Pups event that the board pretty much looked after itself and he only had to get involved when those little fingers alerted him to something that wasn’t liked. 
(Although the memories of those Pups events are hazy, I’m sure the barman there was a bit dodgy)

My and others memories are a little different. 

And again - You also think that he would just ban someone because they had been reported?

Edited by Greavsy

22 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It’s not an injustice at all. Pete has an actual job and simply doesn’t have time to be trawling through the board. Generally, it’s only if someone is tapping him on the shoulder that he’ll be drawn to anything. 

I agree Pete does a good job.

And yes, I think if person(s) unknown had an agenda and continually moaned and serially reported a poster, then in the end it’s likely that the person being reported would be banned. Whether that is on a totting up basis or simply because Pete has better things to do than respond to pathetic little tittle-tattlers is open to interpretation. 

My head is just fine thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

My and others memories are a little different. 

And again - You also think that he would just ban someone because they had been reported?

How do you know others memories? 

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

It’s not an injustice at all. Pete has an actual job and simply doesn’t have time to be trawling through the board. Generally, it’s only if someone is tapping him on the shoulder that he’ll be drawn to anything. 

I agree Pete does a good job.

And yes, I think if person(s) unknown had an agenda and continually moaned and serially reported a poster, then in the end it’s likely that the person being reported would be banned. Whether that is on a totting up basis or simply because Pete has better things to do than respond to pathetic little tittle-tattlers is open to interpretation. 

My head is just fine thanks. 

Or in that scenario Pete would tell the person who is doing the frivolous finger reporting to cease, or they will get a ban?!  Im glad you know what Petes workload was at the time too! 

Its Petes decision, and its been made - 5 years or so ago, and as others have said this is a better place since then. You are entitled to disagree of course, as im sure you will. 

I do find it funny how many threads get turned to Morty - even long since his rightful ban. 

5 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So. Do you reckon we’ll beat Watford ? 

They always do a job on us, unfortunately. At least Deeny isnt playing for them! 

• Like 1