Yellow Wal

Hughton and Nottingham Forest

I didn't ever think I would ever feel sorry for Chris Hughton but watching the Forest Game I cannot believe the amount of dross he has to work with. Unless he can produce a miracle, another big club, going down, down, down. Still, even if they do go down it seems they won't be in the same division as our neighbours!

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Well he has Grabban . So he has his work cut out . 

And Grabban appears to be one of the better players!

15 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

And Grabban appears to be one of the better players!

He's rightly  fooked then, as Grabban is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Mad thing is that I believe  he could be so much better than he is.

Forest/Derby/Sunderlad and Ipswich all in league one next season.. Just goes to show 'We are a big club cause history' does not really mean anything

... Then again Ipswich might be in league two next season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's rightly  fooked then, as Grabban is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Mad thing is that I believe  he could be so much better than he is.

Doesn't really matter who plays up front for a Hughton team. Welcome to Hell 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Grabban is a good Championship striker, but doesn't surprise me if he is struggling being isolated up front in a negative Hughton system.

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Doesn't really matter who plays up front for a Hughton team. Welcome to Hell 

Yep, strikers nightmare. I know a Forest fan who is fed up with his conservative tactics, said last season they had some decent players but reluctant of him to ever play more than 1 attacking player in midfield at a time was the problem, meant that one of Lolley or Knockeart was left on the bench. Reminds me of the time Snodgrass was expected to do everything. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

. Reminds me of the time Snodgrass was expected to do everything

Including  taking penalties? 😇😉👍

I long for the glory days of Hughton with us in the premier league at least we scored the occasional goal and picked up the occasional point 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yep, strikers nightmare. I know a Forest fan who is fed up with his conservative tactics, said last season they had some decent players but reluctant of him to ever play more than 1 attacking player in midfield at a time was the problem, meant that one of Lolley or Knockeart was left on the bench. Reminds me of the time Snodgrass was expected to do everything. 

Let me correct that - "Reminds me of the time Snodgrass took it all on himself to do everything"

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2021 at 17:10, cambridgeshire canary said:

Forest/Derby/Sunderlad and Ipswich all in league one next season.. Just goes to show 'We are a big club cause history' does not really mean anything

... Then again Ipswich might be in league two next season

Would wager you're going to be wrong about Sunderland. Good manager in place and sitting pretty at the top as we speak! Also doubt very much Forest will go down. A new manager will sort them out once the boy Hughton is shown the exit door.

Forest do seem cursed somewhat- while I hated the Hughton tenure here he has always been solid at Championship level so surprising he's struggled so much with them. General consensus from Forest fans though is he plays with too many defensive midfielders and will keeps more talented attackers on the bench. Sound familiar?

13 hours ago, king canary said:

Forest do seem cursed somewhat- while I hated the Hughton tenure here he has always been solid at Championship level so surprising he's struggled so much with them. General consensus from Forest fans though is he plays with too many defensive midfielders and will keeps more talented attackers on the bench. Sound familiar?

Forest a very different challenge though IMO. Previously he inherited talented squads and got results out of them.

Newcastle has just been relegated and were far too good for the division, Birmingham (who he failed to get promoted) had also been relegated and were playing European football when he took over after a league cup win the year before, and it took him 2.5 years to get Brighton promoted despite them having finished in the playoffs two years in a row before he joined.

Forest had finished 7th the season before he joined (although were rock bottom when he took over), and before that had been a bang average mid table side for ages, last finishing in the playoffs nearly a decade ago and last playing in the prem two decades ago. 

A lot of deadwood in the squad, needs a massive overhaul and was always going to take three, four, five transfer windows to sort them out. His issue is that the football is so dull that people don’t want to give him time. All the Forest fans I know even at the time of his appointment wished they’d hired someone younger with a ‘vision’ and time to build it - much like Farke when he joined us.

Forest are another club that has "benefitted" from rich owners - they have lost over £170 million in the last decade, although £68 million was written off. The previous owner Fawaz Al Hasawi lost over £105 million before deciding that he had had enough. 

Their current owner, Evagelos Marinaki had lost £47 million before last year's covid season, so probably lost another large wedge on top. He is "only" worth £500 million so I'm guessing that the losses are beginning to hurt a little now! 

If they had been run properly, with a focus on player development rather a series of expensive "quick fixes" I would have expected them to have promoted ages ago as they are one of the biggest clubs in the championship. They seem to have only signed frees and loans this year as far as I can see and have upgraded their academy, so perhaps the penny had finally dropped.*

Marinaki appears to be a "character:" 

"Marinakis has been facing allegations surrounding a match-fixing conspiracy involving Greek domestic games between 2011 and 2013. Along with a number of Greek football officials and referees he has been accused of bribery and blackmail.

Marinakis is also alleged to have ordered the bombing of a bakery owned by a referee in 2012. He has also denied this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36320422

He must have been found not guilty I presume to pass the League's strict 😉 "fit and proper person test."

On 12/09/2021 at 21:44, lake district canary said:

Let me correct that - "Reminds me of the time Snodgrass took it all on himself to do everything"

Well, he was the only one who stepped up so naturally yes. Thank god he did, or we wouldn't have won a game all season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, he was the only one who stepped up so naturally yes. Thank god he did, or we wouldn't have won a game all season.

It would have helped if he hadn't stepped up sometimes......

When you two have stopped bickering off topic about Snodgrass Forest have gone 1-0 down at home to Middlesbrough.

Apparently the boy Terry is poised to takeover from Hughton. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Say what you like about  Hughton's tactics but he's a real gentleman unlike his proposed successor.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

Being reported he's gone.

Wonder where he goes from here.

Ipswich......................... (as long as he changes his first name to Paul by deed poll).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, canarycop said:

Hondermarrk on for Stoke. Released recently and gets in Stokes squad

odd one really... he couldn't get a game at Harrogate Town last season on loan there