cambridgeshire canary

So what's up with Rupp becoming 1st choice?

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Just asking a hypothetical question here and be honest with yourselves please.

We're playing out from the back, the ball goes to Rupp, he turns away but Sarr, Sema or Pedro out muscles him and drives at us on the counter, there is contact, but most people consider it a Watford player being too strong for him, what would the decision be?

Now ask yourself the same question but it's the other way around, Pukki or Rashica gets a bit physical with a Watford defender who is p155ing around with it out from the back, there is contact though, the Watford player goes over and we break forward, what will the decision be?

Be honest with yourselves how would those 2 scenario's  play out in terms of decisions?

That's why I don't think we can afford to accommodate Rupp at this level, he's too easily bullied and officials will turn a blind eye so long as the team that is supposed to win gets the rub of the green. If we had more physical players it would make it harder for a ref, but Rupp is a corrupt officials dream, he's so easy to dispossess that you can always argue it was a fair challenege. unless it was the other way around of course, but nobody cares about that, because we're only Norwich 

I take your point, but McLean, Normann and Lees-Melou are all big, physical players. I look forward to all 3 playing against the likes of Burnley or West Ham.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

6 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I'm not a fan of Rupp. IMO he doesn't add anything to the team, or improve the team. But I guess what Farke likes about him is his versatility, and level of work he puts in. He doesn't stand out, but puts in a good shift, without looking impressive.

My frustration is that if others don't put in a good shift Farke drops them, yet Rupp seems to get a starting spot most games, wherever Farke can fit him in.

I've never really known what Rupp's best position is, but we trust in Farke whether we win, lose or draw. He sees more than I do   

"Fits him in whenever he can?" Last I checked, he was manager and "whenever he can" is … always? Yet somehow, Rupp doesn't actually start that often? Decent if a little safe and boring to watch. Squad player, yes, he won't let you down, starter, no.

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We're playing out from the back, the ball goes to Rupp, he turns away but Sarr, Sema or Pedro out muscles him and drives at us on the counter, there is contact, but most people consider it a Watford player being too strong for him, what would the decision be?

Now ask yourself the same question but it's the other way around, Pukki or Rashica gets a bit physical with a Watford defender who is p155ing around with it out from the back, there is contact though, the Watford player goes over and we break forward, what will the decision be?

Be honest with yourselves how would those 2 scenario's  play out in terms of decisions?

Absolutely, completely, entirely the same outcome. If you had said Man City / Liverpool maybe, they get the rub of the green (but I would also argue that is mostly due to the ball being in opposition half more, but some bias to big team is probably there) but Watford, what are you talking about? There is absolutely no bias against us and it's madness to suggest there is. Bad decisions happen for everyone.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Rupp walks into most Championship sides as his pedigree kind of shows. I dont think with the players we have he should be starting every match in the prem but he won't be, so hardly see what the problem is.

Then you agree with me 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

That's why I don't think we can afford to accommodate Rupp at this level, he's too easily bullied and officials will turn a blind eye so long as the team that is supposed to win gets the rub of the green. If we had more physical players it would make it harder for a ref, but Rupp is a corrupt officials dream, he's so easy to dispossess that you can always argue it was a fair challenege. unless it was the other way around of course, but nobody cares about that, because we're only Norwich

Some good points, but Rupp's not the only player that's getting knocked off the ball & dispossessed - it's all of them ! I don't think any of our CMs have the physical strength to battle this league. We are all pinning out hopes on Normann without seeing him play. He's got  tattoos like BJ - we can only hope he plays like him ! We need a combination the likes of BJ and Tettey - you'll recall the 2012-13 premiership season where we went on that 10 match unbeaten run - it was tedious stuff but we were difficult to beat. Not saying we want Hughton but players like BJ and Tettey.

I think on Saturday it shouldn’t be ignored that Farke had Rupp and PLM with him throughout the international break amongst a fairly reduced pool of players. I very much suspect that, plus tiredness amongst the international contingent, influenced his selection. I would be very surprised if he hadn’t worked with them during that time on a specific shape he wanted them to keep for the Arsenal game and to be fair for an hour or so it had worked.

Where I think Farke was culpable was, for the umpteenth time, not seeing how much they had tired at the hour mark and not making a change given he had three central midfield options on the bench. This really is a weakness of his snd we seem to concede a lot of goals between half time and the 75 minute mark, often because the opposition manager has made a change which shifts the momentum and Farke doesn’t react. Arteta did this to a degree on Saturday by bringing on Partey although I think it was as much that the midfield had worked very hard and were knackered.

with a full squad to choose from Rupp should not be starting and I will be very surprised if he does on Saturday. We really need to get what will be our first choice line up playing on Saturday and hopefully for a run of games. 

• Like 1

On 13/09/2021 at 23:21, hogesar said:

Rupp walks into most Championship sides as his pedigree kind of shows. I dont think with the players we have he should be starting every match in the prem but he won't be, so hardly see what the problem is.

This. He was class last season after he'd sorted out the injuries as he and McLean really pushed each other on. I think some underrated him because Vrancic happened to be around at the same time, and Vrancic was far more of what they think a creative midfielder looks like with his flicks, incisive passes, and set pieces.

Rupp's not primarily interested in cutting open defences when he gets on the ball. His game is all about keeping the opposition off balance, keeping the ball moving, and keeping things ticking over. When not in possession he likes a turnover and particularly an interception, whilst always being very diligent at getting back into defensive position and helping maintain some semblance of shape.

Throw in a very healthy turn of pace, although he's not a complete speedster he's certainly not slow off the mark, excellent work rate and reliable technique and he'd walk straight into pretty much any Championship midfield.

• Like 4

On 14/09/2021 at 11:08, Jim Smith said:

Where I think Farke was culpable was, for the umpteenth time, not seeing how much they had tired at the hour mark and not making a change given he had three central midfield options on the bench. This really is a weakness of his snd we seem to concede a lot of goals between half time and the 75 minute mark, often because the opposition manager has made a change which shifts the momentum and Farke doesn’t react. Arteta did this to a degree on Saturday by bringing on Partey although I think it was as much that the midfield had worked very hard and were knackered.

Calm down Jimbo, he was only 2 minutes late😯

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Calm down Jimbo, he was only 2 minutes late😯

Cantwell for Dowell did not impact on the area I am talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Cantwell for Dowell did not impact on the area I am talking about. 

No but Dowell and Tzolis were the two players who were pretty much spent. To have any chance if winning the game we needed fresh legs there. They had been up and down high intensity all game.

9 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

This. He was class last season after he'd sorted out the injuries as he and McLean really pushed each other on. I think some underrated him because Vrancic happened to be around at the same time, and Vrancic was far more of what they think a creative midfielder looks like with his flicks, incisive passes, and set pieces.

Rupp's not primarily interested in cutting open defences when he gets on the ball. His game is all about keeping the opposition off balance, keeping the ball moving, and keeping things ticking over. When not in possession he likes a turnover and particularly an interception, whilst always being very diligent at getting back into defensive position and helping maintain some semblance of shape.

Throw in a very healthy turn of pace, although he's not a complete speedster he's certainly not slow off the mark, excellent work rate and reliable technique and he'd walk straight into pretty much any Championship midfield.

Spot on. Rupp is being scapegoated and is nowhere as bad as some want to make out. He's a good Championship level midfielder, and a squad option for us at this level. I don't see him starting many games from hereon in, but I do see us using him as and when we are defending a lead, and in the event of a couple of injuries.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Spot on. Rupp is being scapegoated and is nowhere as bad as some want to make out. He's a good Championship level midfielder, and a squad option for us at this level. I don't see him starting many games from hereon in, but I do see us using him as and when we are defending a lead, and in the event of a couple of injuries.

The difference between a Rupp and a Vrancic in possession is this: Vrancic will look for the killer ball when it's on. Rupp's not interested in killer balls, he's all about a constant stream of telling ones.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The difference between a Rupp and a Vrancic in possession is this: Vrancic will look for the killer ball when it's on. Rupp's not interested in killer balls, he's all about a constant stream of telling ones.

He's easily the most 'safe' player when it comes to the type of passes- I'm not sure how telling they are to be honest.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He's easily the most 'safe' player when it comes to the type of passes- I'm not sure how telling they are to be honest.

Going off Premier League matches with that start is a shaky sample to use, I'd say. That said, I should have said I was really looking at his Championship contribution last season. Wouldn't be surprised if Rupp was playing to orders in these four.

All the examples of good things from Rupp come from the Championship. There isn't much from this season, or our previous season there.

He was really good at the start of last season then tailed off a bit after injury. He's a safe player but we need so much more than that.

Farke has been on a bit of a rant answering your question I see...

Regardless, I'm hoping Normann will become our ball winning midfielder meaning Gilmour/PLM/McClean/Dowell can do the creating further forward. I just don't think Rupp is the answer at this level. Useful squad player but we need better

The main problem is the kids on Twitter who have turned Rupp into a kind of LR7 meme just because he's unfashionable.

Teaches supporters the wrong lesson about why you should back the players who play for your team....because you're a SUPPORTER, not because it's funny to pretend you think someone is good when actually you think they are sh1t

For what it is worth I agree with DF.

Support your team, back whoever is playing.

Lukas Rupp is a very intelligent footballer who constantly works to plug holes left by our more instinctively attacking players and ensuring that we don't get caught out in transition as often.

Sure, you can argue that we haven't done well at all so far.

But those fixtures have been horrendous.

This hilarious 'Arsenal are woeful' gimmick i've seen from a load of our fans is hilarious.

They were 2nd in the form table in the second half of last season.

Played Chelsea and Man City with loads of first team injuries in their opening four games.

They have underperformed, but they are not woeful and will be in the Europa League positions at least.

We really expected to go to the Emirates and show Arsenal what's what in a 'relegation six pointer'?

Lol.

We will be fine, and Lukas will play a role in it. 

...so stop crying yer heart out

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FatCanary said:

The main problem is the kids on Twitter who have turned Rupp into a kind of LR7 meme just because he's unfashionable.

Teaches supporters the wrong lesson about why you should back the players who play for your team....because you're a SUPPORTER, not because it's funny to pretend you think someone is good when actually you think they are sh1t

For what it is worth I agree with DF.

Support your team, back whoever is playing.

Lukas Rupp is a very intelligent footballer who constantly works to plug holes left by our more instinctively attacking players and ensuring that we don't get caught out in transition as often.

Sure, you can argue that we haven't done well at all so far.

But those fixtures have been horrendous.

This hilarious 'Arsenal are woeful' gimmick i've seen from a load of our fans is hilarious.

They were 2nd in the form table in the second half of last season.

Played Chelsea and Man City with loads of first team injuries in their opening four games.

They have underperformed, but they are not woeful and will be in the Europa League positions at least.

We really expected to go to the Emirates and show Arsenal what's what in a 'relegation six pointer'?

Lol.

We will be fine, and Lukas will play a role in it. 

...so stop crying yer heart out

Why don't you talk about football instead of bleddy memes and twitter?

Its up to spectators who they like or dislike. Most have their favourites. And Rupp isn't at the top of the list.

I don't believe for one minute DF meant what he said literally. He was just telling us he rates Lukas and wants us to understand his role.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why don't you talk about football instead of bleddy memes and twitter?

Its up to spectators who they like or dislike. Most have their favourites. And Rupp isn't at the top of the list.

I don't believe for one minute DF meant what he said literally. He was just telling us he rates Lukas and wants us to understand his role.

What a very ignorant and random thing to accuse me of.

You seem very unpleasant. I'd much rather have Lukas Rupp at Norwich than you.