Sign in to follow this  
Jsim1986

Tim Krul

Sadly I think it is now time for a change, his distribution yesterday was extremely poor, he made some great saves but these were mainly where he gave the ball away! I would like to see Gunn come in as his Distribution is better and we know this is a key element for Farkes goalkeepers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it’s Kruls distribution that’s the issue.  No keeper would be able to play the number of risky balls he’s asked to play without making a few errors. Farke needs to adopt a less risky approach to playing out from the back. The one that most frequently gets us into trouble is that diagonal chip he tries to the full backs, indeed it was Max miscontrolling one of those that led to the goal. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t think it’s Kruls distribution that’s the issue.  No keeper would be able to play the number of risky balls he’s asked to play without making a few errors. Farke needs to adopt a less risky approach to playing out from the back. The one that most frequently gets us into trouble is that diagonal chip he tries to the full backs, indeed it was Max miscontrolling one of those that led to the goal. 

I agree with this is part, problem is if we kick it long we have no one to make the ball stick to 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Totally agree. You can train a lab rat not to touch an electrode but you can’t seem to stop Norwich making the same errors week in week out. Is it stubbornness, stupidity, or blind ignorance that we are not Barcelona. Don’t understand why we put ourselves under that pressure, kick the fuçking thing pick up the second ball and play the fancy neat passing stuff further up the bloòdy pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, Hardhouse44 said:

Totally agree. You can train a lab rat not to touch an electrode but you can’t seem to stop Norwich making the same errors week in week out. Is it stubbornness, stupidity, or blind ignorance that we are not Barcelona. Don’t understand why we put ourselves under that pressure, kick the fuçking thing pick up the second ball and play the fancy neat passing stuff further up the bloòdy pitch.

Yep. Fine doing it at the right time but the short goal kicks (which he did finally stop after about 15 minutes at which point we got into the game) shoukd not be used when away against top teams and he needs to play the percentages more. 

We're always looking to find someone when under pressure, to offset that we should perhaps learn to play the ball in certain areas when in trouble, such as is the wide midfield areas.  That way when it's clear someone like Krul is getting chased down he hasn't got to lookup and find a pass, he can just smash it out wide.

If our players are expectant of It, it increases our chances of winning the ball.  Otherwise we're rewarding teams that press, when we should be deterring them.  With the bounce there's always a chance of someone like Rashica being able to mount an attack.

The issue is this constant playing from the back. It’s just asking for trouble. Arsenal we’re all over it and closed down consistently. Meaning Kruls kicking was under pressure each time. It may work in the championship, but it isn’t achieving much in the premiership. There has to be another tactic.

40 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul made numerous great saves yesterday , which is primarily what a keeper is there do .

The playing out from rhe back is clearly an instruction, which is landing us in trouble frequently

What is the alternative though, hoof it forward to Pukki and give them back possession?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The issue is this constant playing from the back. It’s just asking for trouble. Arsenal we’re all over it and closed down consistently. Meaning Kruls kicking was under pressure each time. It may work in the championship, but it isn’t achieving much in the premiership. There has to be another tactic.

This is how I see it, all the teams in the Premier league have far higher quality than the Championship and they all know that playing the high press against us will eventually lead to a stray or bad pass and bang we a a goal down. We don’t appear to have the quality to play out from the back at this level against most of the opposition and with this in mind we will lose most games this season if we continue this strategy in every game. It then comes down to the the skill of the coaching and tactical capabilities of Farke and his crew to bring more direct play during games to mix it up and catch teams off guard - if he and his team cannot solve this conundrum then he will likely move on at the end of the season as we head back down - otherwise we have to accept that we will remain in this vicious cycle of one ecstatic season and one miserable one. The owners will have to decide if thats the way the supporters want it to remain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jsim1986 said:

What is the alternative though, hoof it forward to Pukki and give them back possession?

Drop Pukki and play Sargent and or Idah

His kicking wasn't great, but there was a hand ball in the build up, he was obstructed after the first shot, then the second shot was a mile offside. It's not his fault really. Then his kicking was poor for the rest of the game but that's understandable, he was probably wound up and on edge, it happens to the best goalkeepers. 

If Michael Oliver wasn't getting bribes from Sky to kick the boring, remote self funding club out of the league we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 

Haven’t seen yesterday’s game in full, but against Leicester it was a case that he was too slow to release the ball. Numerous times we had a player wide open and ready to receive the ball, but instead he dawdled and allowed the opposition time to get in position and turn to face him. The success of playing out from the back surely relies on speed and surprise, so that any press is nullified because it is not set up before we move upfield? 

His kicking was a bit off yesterday but agree with the posts on is getting ourselves into trouble by fannying about with the ball in our own quarter. Teams are wise to is now and chase is down. In addition, they can move all their players up the field knowing that we have no-one to flick the ball on and get them in trouble 

Just a reminder guys, we have nobody except maybe McLean who can win headers. If we kicked it long from goal kicks we would just lose the ball immediately. We have to play this way. Plus like I said if the handball was given (like it would have been given against us) then we wouldn't be having this discussion

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Nail on the head. I can't remember ever keeping possession from those chipped passes to the full backs. If you're going to lose possession at least try to turn the opposition round by knocking it over their back 4

Can we get away from the Pep thesis that keepers must be able to hit 60 yard balls on a sixpence.

Krul made a number of good saves yesterday and has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Look for scapegoats elsewhere.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Can we get away from the Pep thesis that keepers must be able to hit 60 yard balls on a sixpence.

Krul made a number of good saves yesterday and has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Look for scapegoats elsewhere.

His ability as a keeper is not in doubt and certainly I’m not calling for him to be dropped. What I would like though is for him to play the percentages a bit more with his clearances rather than playing us into trouble 3 or 4 times a game. This rests with Farke as much as Krul as he’s clearly been told to do it. 

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

His ability as a keeper is not in doubt and certainly I’m not calling for him to be dropped. What I would like though is for him to play the percentages a bit more with his clearances rather than playing us into trouble 3 or 4 times a game. This rests with Farke as much as Krul as he’s clearly been told to do it. 

I do not get the copycat coaching systems in football.

Because others play it out from the back, everyone else copies. Admittedly, we don't have a target man so clearances are likely to come straight back.

But the obsession with keeping the ball in our final third just for the sake of possession is not a given if you don't have the personnel in a higher division.

We have to face it that Farke ball may walk the Championship but struggles in the EPL on what we have seen in 42 games.

W5 D6 L31 Farkes top flight record. 

Now I'm not for one minute advocating sacking Farke, far from it be we all have to agree that HAS to change, and I'm not particularly bothered what style of football we use to change it. 

Weird. I feel like Krul generally looks much more accomplished with the ball at his feet than Gunn did versus Bournemouth. People advocating a change based on kicking ability might just be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Distribution was poor, but ultimately we had a very aggressive press working against us, especially in the wide areas. All in all Krul actually had a good game in the defensive aspect, even with their goal he’d made a great save to tip it onto the post. Too soon to start throwing him out of the side, especially considering the strike forces he’s had to face so far (Salah, Jota, Mane, Jesus, Grealish, Vardy, Saka, Aumbayang), let’s see if his performance start earning us points against this next run of fixtures.