Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

So, Watford.

Recommended Posts

                     Gunn

Aarons Hanley Kabak Williams 

                 Normann

       Gilmour          McLean 

Rashica                          Tzolis

                  Sargent 

 

Subs: Krul, Sorenson, Gibson, Omobamidele, Gianoulis, Pukki, Idah, Lees-Melou, Cantwell 

 

 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

                     Gunn

Aarons Hanley Kabak Williams 

                 Normann

       Gilmour          McLean 

Rashica                          Tzolis

                  Sargent 

 

Subs: Krul, McLean, Gibson, Omobamidele, Gianoulis, Pukki, Idah, Lees-Melou, Cantwell 

 

 

Hah, I've just posted the exact same line-up on another thread! 

Sorensen on the bench as you've got Kenny in twice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Hah, I've just posted the exact same line-up on another thread! 

Sorensen on the bench as you've got Kenny in twice.

D'oh I meant Sorenson not McLean for the bench..... I'll change 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

                     Gunn

Aarons Hanley Kabak Williams 

                 Normann

       Gilmour          McLean 

Rashica                          Tzolis

                  Sargent 

 

Subs: Krul, Sorenson, Gibson, Omobamidele, Gianoulis, Pukki, Idah, Lees-Melou, Cantwell 

Much as I like the look of that team, I don't see Farke making as many as six changes.

Krul's kicking was very suspect today, but I wouldn't drop him just yet. Also think it would be harsh to jettison Omobamidele after just one match, he was one of our better performers today. I like the look of that front six, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nobody tell you about Gunn losing 9-0 last time in the Prem

Unfortunately as much as I love Krul, his distribution has been poor in all 4 games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Much as I like the look of that team, I don't see Farke making as many as six changes.

Krul's kicking was very suspect today, but I wouldn't drop him just yet. Also think it would be harsh to jettison Omobamidele after just one match, he was one of our better performers today. I like the look of that front six, though!

Oh I agree this will be nowhere near Farkes line up, none of us ever get that right 🤣 I wouldn't be sorry to see Omo in alongside Kabak at some point, potentially our best CB pairing but worried about 2 very young CBs at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we have a pair of central defenders that can play out more comfortably Krul will naturally be put under a lot less pressure. Based on the fact Liverpool took him I'm assuming Kabak will be that guy and I doubt Omo is getting dropped after his performance today.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Much as I like the look of that team, I don't see Farke making as many as six changes.

Made 4 changes today since Leicester, with internationals forcing his hand too.

(Gibson, Gilmour, Cantwell and Rashica replaced).

If we take the Leicester starting 11 as being more akin to our starting 11 before the end of window, it's technically 4 changes from the leicester baseline:-

(Gibson, Lees-Melou, Cantwell, Pukki would be replaced) 

It's only really Lees-Melou and Pukki that would be major changes from his perceived ideal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Made 4 changes today since Leicester, with internationals forcing his hand too.

(Gibson, Gilmour, Cantwell and Rashica replaced).

If we take the Leicester starting 11 as being more akin to our starting 11 before the end of window, it's technically 4 changes from the leicester baseline:-

(Gibson, Lees-Melou, Cantwell, Pukki would be replaced) 

It's only really Lees-Melou and Pukki that would be major changes from his perceived ideal?

And I did debate between Lees-Melou and Gilmour but I feel we need to see Gilmour with a proper defensive midfielder behind him as opposed to being that defensive midfielder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

When we have a pair of central defenders that can play out more comfortably Krul will naturally be put under a lot less pressure

The problem is that we don't press hard ourselves so opponents have 3-4 players spare to chase us down in possession.  We just have Pukki chasing shadows offering a token gesture at the other end.  Arsenal managed the space so much better across the field meaning more players were ready to press at short notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Krul

Aarons - Omabamadele - Kabak - Williams

Lees-Melou - Normann - McLean

Rashica - Pukki - Tzolis

 

That's the team I'm expecting. Lees-Melou and Gilmour perhaps swap. Kabak fitness is a question mark i guess too. I guess it's a team that I'm expecting to a first team soon.

 

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say Krul's kicking really annoyed me today. For a team like us that's looking to play out, the keeper has to control the ball and find a defender quickly and accurately to help beat the press.

This isn't Tim's game and his poor work with his feet puts us under pressure. I'm afraid I'd like to see a change to help remind him he needs to improve this aspect of his game, which is so crucial to ours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will beat us even if the ref doesn't step in. They're a team of gigantic athletes and they will bully our little guys like Rupp, Gilmour, McLean, Pukki, Cantwell, Dowell etc. 

 

Expect lots of tactical fouls by them, a lot of duels that result in their favour and a couple of goals from the counter or set pieces.

 

For me the season starts after Watford, we won't beat them because like a modern day Stoke they are the antithesis of us and are built for PL survival. They'll kick the heels off of our attack, dominate our much smaller men in midfield then give it to Sarr who will completely take the **** out of us because we can't deal with pacy, dribbling players. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

They will beat us even if the ref doesn't step in. They're a team of gigantic athletes and they will bully our little guys like Rupp, Gilmour, McLean, Pukki, Cantwell, Dowell etc. 

 

Expect lots of tactical fouls by them, a lot of duels that result in their favour and a couple of goals from the counter or set pieces.

 

For me the season starts after Watford, we won't beat them because like a modern day Stoke they are the antithesis of us and are built for PL survival. They'll kick the heels off of our attack, dominate our much smaller men in midfield then give it to Sarr who will completely take the **** out of us because we can't deal with pacy, dribbling players. 

What’s the good news ? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

What’s the good news ? 😉

I wish I had some. We have a team of physically weak technical players who are nothing special at this level in spite of their physical inadequacies. It's depressing I know, but I was much more confident of getting points against Liverpool or Leicester than I am teams like Watford or Burnley. 

If we can't beat teams like Leicester or Arsenal when they're out of form then we're in real trouble. Because we won't be beating Watford, Palace or Burnley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I wish I had some. We have a team of physically weak technical players who are nothing special at this level in spite of their physical inadequacies. It's depressing I know, but I was much more confident of getting points against Liverpool or Leicester than I am teams like Watford or Burnley. 

If we can't beat teams like Leicester or Arsenal when they're out of form then we're in real trouble. Because we won't be beating Watford, Palace or Burnley

This^^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

They will beat us even if the ref doesn't step in. They're a team of gigantic athletes and they will bully our little guys like Rupp, Gilmour, McLean, Pukki, Cantwell, Dowell etc. 

 

Expect lots of tactical fouls by them, a lot of duels that result in their favour and a couple of goals from the counter or set pieces.

 

For me the season starts after Watford, we won't beat them because like a modern day Stoke they are the antithesis of us and are built for PL survival. They'll kick the heels off of our attack, dominate our much smaller men in midfield then give it to Sarr who will completely take the **** out of us because we can't deal with pacy, dribbling players. 

The last 3 teams to play them have won. If we’re scared of playing Watford at home and need the ref to hold our hand then we are doomed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

The last 3 teams to play them have won. If we’re scared of playing Watford at home and need the ref to hold our hand then we are doomed. 

I don't fear them. I just think they'll be too big, strong and fast for our defensive shape and will cut us open on the counter, while we're leisurely jogging back they would have given it to a pacy player who will run at our defense and cause havok. Other teams don't try to play like Wenger's Arsenal like we do so they can deal with Watford's lack of technical ability. Against us they will murder us in the spaces we leave behind our midfield and on set pieces and when we lose the ball high up the pitch. The though of Lukas Rupp lining up alongside their giants in the tunnel just gives me 2019 PTSD flashbacks where it was literally men against boys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I don't fear them. I just think they'll be too big, strong and fast for our defensive shape and will cut us open on the counter, while we're leisurely jogging back they would have given it to a pacy player who will run at our defense and cause havok. Other teams don't try to play like Wenger's Arsenal like we do so they can deal with Watford's lack of technical ability. Against us they will murder us in the spaces we leave behind our midfield and on set pieces and when we lose the ball high up the pitch. The though of Lukas Rupp lining up alongside their giants in the tunnel just gives me 2019 PTSD flashbacks where it was literally men against boys. 

Sadly I have to agree with this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I don't fear them. I just think they'll be too big, strong and fast for our defensive shape and will cut us open on the counter, while we're leisurely jogging back they would have given it to a pacy player who will run at our defense and cause havok. Other teams don't try to play like Wenger's Arsenal like we do so they can deal with Watford's lack of technical ability. Against us they will murder us in the spaces we leave behind our midfield and on set pieces and when we lose the ball high up the pitch. The though of Lukas Rupp lining up alongside their giants in the tunnel just gives me 2019 PTSD flashbacks where it was literally men against boys. 

Can’t argue with any of this. Spot on I’m sorry to say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone saying that we're bound to lose against Watford because they're so much more physical than us obviously hasn't noticed that they were totally outplayed yesterday by a less physical, more skilful Wolves team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watford haven’t scored in the league since their first game ....

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't share the same level of negativity as some above about the Watford game. I think Farke and the coaching team have a chance now to run the rule over the full squad with no distractions. They will have learnt from the two games against Watford last year. I'm expecting us to be more threatening and to get at least a point. I think we are two quite different but evenly matched teams. The lads have a chance now to catch their breath after 14(?) players went off to represent their countries. DF himself has said that the time to judge our competitiveness will be after the international break. That work starts properly on the training pitch tomorrow. OTBC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Anyone saying that we're bound to lose against Watford because they're so much more physical than us obviously hasn't noticed that they were totally outplayed yesterday by a less physical, more skilful Wolves team.

Totally agree although the thrust of Stiepermans post is accurate in that we traditionally shy away from the robust physical nature of teams like Watford. They have far less natural ability than us and Wolves should have won by a hatful. Provided we 'get stuck in' then we ought to be able to get the win but, that said, our lack of attacking threat is worrying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is if we are poor against Watford and lose, you lot can have a really quick game of sticky biscuit over the result.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...