Sign in to follow this  
By Hook or Ian crook

Loaded gun firing blanks

Despite encouraging signs in the last two games, we’ve now played 4 games without scoring a single goal from open play. No one would of really thought we would of got much from the opening 4 fixtures when they were announced but I would of hopped we would of at least showed more of a threat in front of goal. This begs the question how much of this is down to the step up in opposition compared to the change in formation Farke has deployed so far this season?  

Today against the worst Arsenal side in a generation we lined up 4 3 2 1 which effectively started the game with 7 defensive players and 3 more attacking minded players. Compare this to the preferred formation last season of 4 2 3 1 freeing up an extra attacking option. Has Farke diverted away from his previous preferred formation on the basis of the failure at this level last time around? Will we see a return to this formation now the likes of Normann and Kabak are through the door? 

I guess there is a point here, we can grumble about the offside goal but I think Arsenal were there for the taking. 

However I’ve no doubt we will improve and create chances in open play against the lesser teams. Also I think Sargent when he is ready will dovetail nicely with Pukki so right now I’m not worried.

13 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

I guess there is a point here, we can grumble about the offside goal but I think Arsenal were there for the taking. 

However I’ve no doubt we will improve and create chances in open play against the lesser teams. Also I think Sargent when he is ready will dovetail nicely with Pukki so right now I’m not worried.

We are Norwich mate, there are no "lesser" teams in the Prem for us, we are currently lesser than all the 19 others and likely to remain that for a fair few matches yet, expecting  more losses , yes even vs. Watford. Also i really do think and have done for while that Sunderland's 20 match losing streak record is under serious threat, we are now at 14. Do i think we will be relegated?..yes absolutely. Ok negatives but realistics aside, now for the positives (hopefully).

City are starting this season with a virtual new team, many new guys signed from abroad that all have to get used to their team mates, get used to a team gelling, get used to the  highest quality division in the world, get used to picking up a point never mind 3, then getting used to  a momentum and get used to carrying that on.

To expect that to happen even after 4 matches is  crazy, i would think 10...15 games at the very least in this division, by which time of course we will already be way adrift with a realistic very slim chance of climbing out of the bottom 3.

But im a firm believer that DF is building a new side capable of someday finishing out of the bottom 3...maybe another 2 seasons. But the downside may come when its time for Kabak and Normann and City decide  if  both can give a Championship season a go.

But first things first, finding a first eleven that can gel,  and yes create chances and finally score  some goals and pick up some points..that could come against any of the other 19 far as i see...still feels a bit ways off but im forever patient and think it will happen.

Problem is that as things stand we don’t really  look like keeping many clean sheets and don’t look like scoring many goals…at least one of those things needs to change. Hopefully when the new playerS start and bed in that will happen.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Pukki has to be dropped. He is simply past it. Stop making excuses for him, his legs and sharpness have gone for good. 

Same for krul. He is absolutely shocking with distribution and puts us constantly on the back foot. 

Gunn and sergant have to start next game. 

Also Normann has to come in. 

And ffs play 4231 so we can use the attacking talent we have! 

1 minute ago, fredherring said:

Pukki has to be dropped. He is simply past it. Stop making excuses for him, his legs and sharpness have gone for good. 

Same for krul. He is absolutely shocking with distribution and puts us constantly on the back foot. 

Gunn and sergant have to start next game. 

Also Normann has to come in. 

And ffs play 4231 so we can use the attacking talent we have! 

To be fair Krul saved us plenty of times and made some fantastic saves..

Just wish he was not so **** poor at passing which always lets him down and plays us into trouble

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

We are Norwich mate, there are no "lesser" teams in the Prem for us

I meant lesser teams than Arsenal, Man City, Leicester and Liverpool

7 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Lots of new posters. Lots of new hate. Got to love the new Premier League season. 

No hate from me, I’m simply asking the questions about our recent changes in formation and the lack of goals as a result. Is it simply Farke respects some opposition too much to play more of an attacking style? We always seem so shell shocked at this level. 

As a side note been a memeber of this forum since the worthington days but lost the password to my old account. I remember the Carl Cort saga very well. 

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Problem is that as things stand we don’t really  look like keeping many clean sheets and don’t look like scoring many goals…at least one of those things needs to change. Hopefully when the new playerS start and bed in that will happen.

Can't agree on the clean sheets thing.  Thought we looked perfectly solid for most of today, only fell apart when chasing a game away from home, Spurs suffered the same fate today against Palace. Kabak to come in, Williams looked good. Omo had a strong debut. 

Goals look more of an issue,  but Rashica and Tzolis look like they could create chances. If we can take them is the question.